U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,028,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Here we go with the past again. That isn't how we do things today nor should we based on our increased population growth, decreasing jobs and resources and the number of illegal aliens it would affect compared to the numbers long ago.

Most immigrants of the past did not come here illegally as Zacatena erroneously asserted either.

Whatever status adjustment programs there are in place today should not be expanded upon due to what I said in my first paragraph. It doesn't make sense at all for the American people and still rewards lawbreakers.
I quoted your own sentence back at you, but you're inserting words later to qualify it. The heyday of immigration saw people arrive with no more documentation in their hand than a ticket:

(a Great-Great-Grand Uncle)

I'm just talking about keeping an American tradition alive...

We extract our pound of flesh in the current programs to legalize or allow illegal immigrants to remain. I don't hear of much objection by Americans to those lawful processes. The programs are more than self-sustaining as well, and make some American citizens I know of very happy.

Let what is truly the appropriate punitive measures take place, you've said in the past if an illegal alien can come back legally, you are "fine with it"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:10 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,854,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I quoted your own sentence back at you, but you're inserting words later to qualify it. The heyday of immigration saw people arrive with no more documentation in their hand than a ticket:

We extract our pound of flesh in the current programs to legalize or allow illegal immigrants to remain. I don't hear of much objection by Americans to those lawful processes. The programs are more than self-sustaining as well, and make some American citizens I know of very happy.

Let what is truly the appropriate punitive measures take place, you've said in the past if an illegal alien can come back legally, you are "fine with it"...
Good grief! Let the past die. We also had slavery. Should we also "keep alive" that American tradition? After all, didnít they come here from a foreign land on ships without going through our legal immigration process?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,186,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

That hasn't been an American tradition since the 1920's! We implemented immigration laws back then and the method for coming here changed and continued to change as time went by. So stop dwelling on a "tradition" that hasn't existed for decades. It isn't appropriate for today anyway.

I am not really aware of how many or what the procedure is to gain legal status after coming here illegally (not speaking of refugees or asylum seekers either) and I doubt most other Americans do either. If exceptions are made in some cases I may not necessarily agree with it but if done within our laws then I can't argue with it. We don't need to read another post of yours devoted to that process either. That is a whole different ball of wax than legalizing millions of illegal aliens whom most were just economic border jumpers.

I said they must go back to their homelands and get in back of the line to apply legally. If they still don't meet our immigration criteria/quotas then it is the end of the road for them and they will just have to accept it.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 793,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I would like them to obey our laws and go home. Why is that so hard to understand? Legalize them and you'll only invite more of them.
Just so we're clear, you don't really care if they're legal or not, you just want "them" to go home?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Good grief! Let the past die....

Should we also "keep alive" that American tradition?
You should tell this to chicagonut when she starts ranting about maintaining a white majority culture in the US.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Isn't this thread about ILLEGAL immigration and the ILLEGAL hiring of these immigrants? As a citizen of this country it certainly is my business. One cannot be irritated at the immigrant and give the employer (who is hiring someone ineligible to work in this country) a pass.

Is there a reason you got so snarky with me?
So basically the fact that it's illegal makes it "your" business and hence justifies outlawing it? Circular logic IMO.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:08 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,396,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Just so we're clear, you don't really care if they're legal or not, you just want "them" to go home?
[sarcasm]
Yeah sure. I want all American citizens who are of hispanic heritage to leave because they're not white and I am. As a white person this makes me superior to them based on nothing more than the color of my skin.
[/sarcasm]

How do you manage community college classes with such obvious reading comprehension problems?

Do you really think I mean them as in illegal aliens (as any sane and rational person would infer) or did you just come here and make yourself feel good by falsely accusing me of racism?

Grow up.

I'm going to rewrite that sentence so that even someone with a 200 on the verbal SAT can understand it.

I would like ILLEGAL ALIENS to obey our laws and go home. Why is that so hard to understand? Legalize ILLEGAL ALIENS and you'll only invite more ILLEGAL ALIENS.

Do you understand what I wrote now? Or is your mind so focused on declaring anyone who disagrees with you a racist that you can't wrap your head around any other thought?

Geez I hate this nonsense. Come back when you've been a real victim of discrimination. Come back when you've been called a cheap Jew or a drunken mick or had some male boss slimeball grope you in an elevator and then demand you never tell anyone about it or he'll fire you.

Opposition to illegal immigration is not racism. Painting it as such is the last pathetic gasp of someone losing an argument.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
[sarcasm]
Yeah sure. I want all American citizens who are of hispanic heritage to leave because they're not white and I am. As a white person this makes me superior to them based on nothing more than the color of my skin.
[/sarcasm]

How do you manage community college classes with such obvious reading comprehension problems?

Do you really think I mean them as in illegal aliens (as any sane and rational person would infer) or did you just come here and make yourself feel good by falsely accusing me of racism?

Grow up.

I'm going to rewrite that sentence so that even someone with a 200 on the verbal SAT can understand it.

I would like ILLEGAL ALIENS to obey our laws and go home. Why is that so hard to understand? Legalize ILLEGAL ALIENS and you'll only invite more ILLEGAL ALIENS.

Do you understand what I wrote now? Or is your mind so focused on declaring anyone who disagrees with you a racist that you can't wrap your head around any other thought?

Geez I hate this nonsense. Come back when you've been a real victim of discrimination. Come back when you've been called a cheap Jew or a drunken mick or had some male boss slimeball grope you in an elevator and then demand you never tell anyone about it or he'll fire you.

Opposition to illegal immigration is not racism. Painting it as such is the last pathetic gasp of someone losing an argument.
This sounds nice and noble and everything, but you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Here you're saying you want the ILLEGAL ones go home, but in the post I replied to you explicitly opposed any notion of legalizing them. The conclusion any logical person would make is that you're really opposed to THEM and only care about their legal status in so far as it makes a convenient proxy issue for you to hide behind.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,396,704 times
Quote:
This sounds nice and noble and everything, but you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Here you're saying you want the ILLEGAL ones go home, but in the post I replied to you explicitly opposed any notion of legalizing them. The conclusion any logical person would make is that you're really opposed to THEM and only care about their legal status in so far as it makes a convenient proxy issue for you to hide behind.
No, the logical conclusion is that I don't want to reward people for criminal behavior. The logical conclusion is that I don't think illegals should get to skip the immigration lines, violate our borders and ignore our laws just because criminals want to make demands. I don't take my toddler's temper tantrums seriously either. He gets sent to his room when he pulls such stunts.

The only racism you hear is because that's the only way you view this issue: through the assumption that anyone who dares disagree with you on illegal immigration is secretely wearing a Klan robe. Such unwarranted accusations are ludicrous and insulting to real victims of bigotry no matter how much you wish to pretend otherwise.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,592,533 times
Quote:
So basically the fact that it's illegal makes it "your" business and hence justifies outlawing it? Circular logic IMO.
I am not speaking about the merits of the laws regarding illegal immigrants and those that hire them. They are what they are. Illegal immigrants get deported, what is the punishment for breaking the law by hiring someone here illegally?

Illegal immigrants are breaking the law. Hiring illegal immigrants is also breaking the law and taking advantage of their illegal status by paying perhaps a lower wage, no workers comp insurance, no payroll taxes.

THAT is my point. How can I want to outlaw something that is ALREADY illegal?? I just want those that employ them to be subject to severe punishment. If you don't break the law and hire illegal immigrants what is your problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or