Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
They can do that, too. It's their money.
Of course they can. But, sadly, I am not aware of such programs. Are you?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:36 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Of course they can. But, sadly, I am not aware of such programs. Are you?
There are plenty of charities for the victims of crimes generally. If there was a market for one identifying the victims of illegal immigrants specifically for some reason, it would be created. Go ahead and make one. It would take minimal effort.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
There are plenty of charities for the victims of crimes generally. If there was a market for one identifying the victims of illegal immigrants specifically for some reason, it would be created. Go ahead and make one. It would take minimal effort.
And, you know this, how?

Regardless, it sends the wrong message to those considering violating our immigration laws. It tells them if they bring their children here, they will be rewarded, not only with a tax-funded K-12 education, but in-state tuition in several states, as well as private financing. Do you know if legal foreign students may also avail themselves of these generous funds?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
And, you know this, how?
Because that's how markets work, obviously. If someone wanted to go through with the process of starting up this charity, the obstacles are not many. Go ahead.

Quote:
Regardless, it sends the wrong message to those considering violating our immigration laws. It tells them if they bring their children here, they will be rewarded, not only with a tax-funded K-12 education, but in-state tuition in several states, as well as private financing. Do you know if legal foreign students may also avail themselves of these generous funds?
I think it sends the right message. You see, the message you want is "we need to take our immigration laws more seriously!" The message I want is pretty different.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
This is absolutely mind-boggling, especially in a state with such a huge budget deficit. Thank goodness the residents of Maryland fought a similar law that would have become effective July 1st. California residents should follow suit. Otherwise, you can expect even more illegals to flock to your state. How sad.
Californians aren't going to fight anything about this. They elected Brown on those promises. It is sad. I do not want my tax dollars to go into funding education for people who have very little right to be here, over others who have come in the right way. How can I make my voice heard ?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Californians aren't going to fight anything about this. They elected Brown on those promises. It is sad. I do not want my tax dollars to go into funding education for people who have very little right to be here, over others who have come in the right way. How can I make my voice heard ?
Yet another person who did not even read the first paragraph of the article.

While you may soon see in-state tuition for illegals in CA, this bill is re: private financing.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
People post on preconceived ideas, not the articles themselves.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:03 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
He also signaled that he was likely to back a more controversial measure allowing those students to seek state-funded tuition aid in the future.
Brown signs California Dream Act

Yeah Jerry. Because a state knee deep in financial problems should worry primarily about the higher education needs of foreign nationals.

This is pandering plain and simple.

Shame on Latino groups for demanding that law breakers get anything from the public till:

Quote:
For Brown, signing Cedillo's bill was a gesture of goodwill toward Latino voters, who helped elect him in large numbers last fall. Legislation providing education funding to undocumented students has been a top priority for many Latino groups, which have found many of their efforts thwarted so far at the federal level.
Brown signs California Dream Act

Guess what Latino groups and voters? We don't want illegals. Is that clear? We want you to respect our immigration laws and stop supporting those who willfully break them. The only reason such groups support illegals is because they are Latino. Were these illegals primarily Chinese no Latino leaders would give a damn about them.

How is that not racist?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:14 PM

11,250 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Ahhh California...... A failed state that just keeps on proving that it has no intention of reversing that trend. This bill might be talking about private money, but that just opens more doors to more controversial legislation being passed. It will happen, sooner than later. Rome wasn't built in a day, the same way it will take more than a day to completely destroy Cali.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM

So, kinda wondering, why do all you consider in-state tution to be "at the taxpayers' expense"?

The state runs certain schools. It chooses to offer discounts to in-state students. It's pretty obvious why they do this. But offering a discount for a service the state provides is not something taxpayers are directly paying for in the same sense that they would pay for a welfare handout. The state is making a calculated investment, whereby it believes that it will eventually be better off offering the lower tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration