U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:23 PM

18,563 posts, read 15,768,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
So, kinda wondering, why do all you consider in-state tution to be "at the taxpayers' expense"?

The state runs certain schools. It chooses to offer discounts to in-state students. It's pretty obvious why they do this. But offering a discount for a service the state provides is not something taxpayers are directly paying for in the same sense that they would pay for a welfare handout. The state is making a calculated investment, whereby it believes that it will eventually be better off offering the lower tuition.
How? Where will these kids work?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:28 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,856,215 times
Quote:
As I said, the state is staking out an investment. They want to incentivize in-staters to get higher education because they believe (correctly) that those people are more likely to remain in the state and thus their investment in the education will be profitable for the state itself.

This logic applies equally to an illegal immigrant who lives in California. Now, you might say that the illegal immigrant is less likely to stay than a resident. In many cases I'd agree. I couldn't make an assessment without looking at the residency requirements for illegals being offered the tuition right now.
This 'investment' angle does not work. If you deport an illegal applying for this "discounted" education, the costs will be far less (better ROI). Plus s/he does not later take up a job from a legal. Plus s/he has not displaced a legal from getting an education (number of college seats are limited). The ROI angle is a poor justification. A more realistic angle may be that Brown wants latino votes and he is buying them. Not saying Republicans are different - they are busy buying votes from rich people. Ds are buying from unions. The country is for sale. Let us not pretend there is a "greater good" or ROI angle - these are all politicians.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:32 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Cali was lost awhile ago. Right around the time a liberal judge tossed out Prop. 187 and the state refused to appeal.
That is when our illegal immigration problem really started to accelerate in this state. Rewarding lawbreakers is the worse thing to do.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:34 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
This 'investment' angle does not work. If you deport an illegal applying for this "discounted" education, the costs will be far less (better ROI). Plus s/he does not later take up a job from a legal. Plus s/he has not displaced a legal from getting an education (number of college seats are limited). The ROI angle is a poor justification. A more realistic angle may be that Brown wants latino votes and he is buying them. Not saying Republicans are different - they are busy buying votes from rich people. Ds are buying from unions. The country is for sale. Let us not pretend there is a "greater good" or ROI angle - these are all politicians.
Excellent summation for what the true outcome would be and of our politician's motives in this issue.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:36 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
So, kinda wondering, why do all you consider in-state tution to be "at the taxpayers' expense"?

The state runs certain schools. It chooses to offer discounts to in-state students. It's pretty obvious why they do this. But offering a discount for a service the state provides is not something taxpayers are directly paying for in the same sense that they would pay for a welfare handout. The state is making a calculated investment, whereby it believes that it will eventually be better off offering the lower tuition.
Exactly what do you think the “state” is, if not the taxpaying residents? In-state tuition is indeed subsidized by taxpayers, as are state colleges and universities. Ergo, it IS at taxpayers’ expense. As a taxpaying resident of the State of Maryland, I do not want my money subsidizing the college education of people living in my state illegally. Obviously, I am not alone, as evidenced by the successful petition to force a referendum on the MD DREAM Act in 2012. And, this law WILL be defeated.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
The absolute truth.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:43 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,285,252 times
Fellow Californians your really a bunch of jerk offs, HAPPY/ well i am not, with many others, who did not want LOSER JERRRY BROWN BACK IN, when will you ever learn, you ignorant ignorant voters.

Get a back bone will ya?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Quote:
Sure, there's a political angle.

But you should explain how deporting someone rather than giving them a discounted college education and the ability to work legally is the more profitable move. Do you think that the average college educated person is a drain on the economy?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM

6,445 posts, read 7,551,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
"Assemblyman Gil Cedillo (D-Los Angeles), author of the private financial aid measure, described it as an important but incremental step toward expanding opportunities for deserving students who were brought to the U.S. illegally through no choice of their own. Cedillo is pressing ahead with a more expansive measure that would make certain undocumented students eligible for the state's Cal Grants and other forms of state tuition aid."

So...... How does this deter illegals from hopping over the fence to drop their little package off on our soil (at our expense)? All this bill does is state that it's OK to bring your kids along for the ride because they'll be taken care of.

All this does is open a door to get to much bigger doors. They will not be happy until they have EVERYTHING, and liberals will make sure that happens. God knows, Cali has enough of them....
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Note that for the "DREAM Act"-related legislation, the illegal aliens would have carried "their little package" over "the fence" with them (the child(ren) has/have no immigration status of their own, and should not be confused with U.S. citizen "Anchor Babies")...
No confusion here at all. If I had meant "anchor babies", I would have used that term in my post. When I said "their little package...at our expense", I was referring to children that were being brought here by their illegal parents and put right into a K-12 classroom. The only thing these bills are designed to do is to extend that entitlement to the college level.

So then what... They get out of school and still steal a social security number, or just work under the table. I'm so glad our educational system paid off for them!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Sure, there's a political angle.

But you should explain how deporting someone rather than giving them a discounted college education and the ability to work legally is the more profitable move. Do you think that the average college educated person is a drain on the economy?
If illegals want a college education, let them pay the higher foreign student rates. Why should people who are here illegally be entitled to a discount on anything? How many times must we tell you, they don’t belong here? Nor do we want them here, educated or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration