Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 PM

737 posts, read 1,146,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
I've said it before. The best way to deal with illegal immigration is through employers.

If an employer hires an illegal, he should be fined heavily. That will eliminate demand for immigants in this county. They will leave and new ones will stop coming in. Very simple.

Replace the illegals with a green card system...for those of you who say "they do the work the white man wont do". Fine...I find it odd though that "conservatives" support this talk, but do not when it comes to paying more for wages...then the illegals are ok...just as long as its their business interests...

On another closed thread I saw responses about how "oh boy blame the employer" Yes that is correct. The only reason, someone comes to the U.S. is because they can find employment, have a legal kid, and now obtain educational funding/loans etc.

If you want to end illegal immigration, change the federal laws first so they cant be challenged.
We have had people working "under the table" since the income tax started. If we enforce laws on employers they will still use the illegals, but not on paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 AM

497 posts, read 1,501,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
We have had people working "under the table" since the income tax started. If we enforce laws on employers they will still use the illegals, but not on paper.
Thats what the employers want you to think. The fine should be heavy and on a 2nd offense, they close the business and take back profits for all the time it hired illegals...Let's see how many business owners will chance that. If they do, fine, those govt auctions will get pretty interesting.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:45 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,887,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
I've said it before. The best way to deal with illegal immigration is through employers.

If an employer hires an illegal, he should be fined heavily. That will eliminate demand for immigants in this county. They will leave and new ones will stop coming in. Very simple.

Replace the illegals with a green card system...for those of you who say "they do the work the white man wont do". Fine...I find it odd though that "conservatives" support this talk, but do not when it comes to paying more for wages...then the illegals are ok...just as long as its their business interests...

On another closed thread I saw responses about how "oh boy blame the employer" Yes that is correct. The only reason, someone comes to the U.S. is because they can find employment, have a legal kid, and now obtain educational funding/loans etc.

If you want to end illegal immigration, change the federal laws first so they cant be challenged.
i don't know one conservative who supports illegal immigration-not one!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,189,983 times
I'm kind of tired of people assuming that all liberals are pro-illegal immigration/amnesty, or that you must be a conservative if you are anti-illegal immigration.

I'm anti-illegal immigration and vehemently anti-amnesty, but I'm also pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, and usually vote Democrat. I consider myself a social libertarian but also believe that a strong social safety net is vital to protect the most vulnerable members of our society.

Where do *I* fit in?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:22 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,525,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm kind of tired of people assuming that all liberals are pro-illegal immigration/amnesty, or that you must be a conservative if you are anti-illegal immigration.

I'm anti-illegal immigration and vehemently anti-amnesty, but I'm also pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, and usually vote Democrat. I consider myself a social libertarian but also believe that a strong social safety net is vital to protect the most vulnerable members of our society.

Where do *I* fit in?
I am also a staunch anti-illegal, and, like you, my general views would not be considered conservative. I’m a former liberal Democrat, now an Independent. From my observation, illegal immigration is one of the few issues with widespread bipartisan opposition. In fact, the overwhelming majority of people I encounter oppose illegal immigration and amnesty. That includes many uber-liberal Democrats. I don’t know why so many believe only conservatives oppose illegal immigration. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:39 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,290,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am also a staunch anti-illegal, and, like you, my general views would not be considered conservative. I’m a former liberal Democrat, now an Independent. From my observation, illegal immigration is one of the few issues with widespread bipartisan opposition. In fact, the overwhelming majority of people I encounter oppose illegal immigration and amnesty. That includes many uber-liberal Democrats. I don’t know why so many believe only conservatives oppose illegal immigration. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Thank you!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:09 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,273,857 times
Quote:

I'm anti-illegal immigration and vehemently anti-amnesty, but I'm also pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, and usually vote Democrat.
Many conservatives, especially in other nations, support legalized abortions as well as gay marriage rights. Many Democrats are conservative.

Quote:

Where do *I* fit in?
Along with many conservatives.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 11,237 times
An excellent strategy would be for the community to institute ordinances requiring all residents to do their own manual labor. Hiring gardeners or housecleaners would not be allowed, unless there was a qualifying medical condition, in which case young adults would have to be hired (under the age of 20). This would dramatically cut down on illegal workers. For maintanence, the city would pay all of its employees decent wages, even the janitors, and require that they actually live within the city. There would be strict rules about housing/apartment overcrowding with multiple families. The city could institute it own higher minimum wage in the local businesses, but that would allow exceptions for young adults to work for less, encouraging the business to hire teenagers living in the community rather than older illegals.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Hoveland View Post
An excellent strategy would be for the community to institute ordinances requiring all residents to do their own manual labor. Hiring gardeners or housecleaners would not be allowed, unless there was a qualifying medical condition, in which case young adults would have to be hired (under the age of 20). This would dramatically cut down on illegal workers. For maintanence, the city would pay all of its employees decent wages, even the janitors, and require that they actually live within the city. There would be strict rules about housing/apartment overcrowding with multiple families. The city could institute it own higher minimum wage in the local businesses, but that would allow exceptions for young adults to work for less, encouraging the business to hire teenagers living in the community rather than older illegals.
The construction of your city is only in its planning stages, and I already have a name for it...

Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,290,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The construction of your city is only in its planning stages, and I already have a name for it...

I disagree with many of these ideas about this alien free community. For one, those who can afford to hire landscapers, etc. should be able to do so but there should be a system in place whereby they can't hire illegal aliens to do those jobs.

Of course the pro-illegals wouldn't like a community like this but have no problem with sanctuary cities, do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration