Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:49 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,453,648 times

Advertisements

Study Says Illegal Immigration May Have Negative Impact On City Economies

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee can do little to curb illegal immigration and its costs beyond urging the federal government to enforce its laws and fund the programs it requires state and local government to provide, according to a new report from the state comptroller's office.

The study also concludes that illegal immigrants probably have an overall positive impact on the state's economy -- although they may have a negative impact on local economies in the cities where they are heavily concentrated.

Illegal Immigration May Help State - News Story - WSMV Nashville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 07:54 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,375,841 times
As someone who spent more than a decade in California, you would have a difficult time convincing me-- or most people who have been there, saw that-- that illegals have much of a positive impact on a city or state. Too much evidence to the contrary.

There are few cost benefits to be had. Even lawn care and maid service in TN costs less than what people pay illegals in CA in cash-- $120/mo. here for a three-quarter acre lot versus $80 there for a 2500 SF lot. (No, that's not a typo-- lots in CA are smaller than homes in TN.) And in TN, people pay by check, and the gardener declares it and pays taxes.

Virtually no one in CA, AZ or TX is going to tell you that illegals are a good thing. They would be THRILLED to ship some our way!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:16 PM

764 posts, read 1,453,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
As someone who spent more than a decade in California, you would have a difficult time convincing me-- or most people who have been there, saw that-- that illegals have much of a positive impact on a city or state. Too much evidence to the contrary.

There are few cost benefits to be had. Even lawn care and maid service in TN costs less than what people pay illegals in CA in cash-- $120/mo. here for a three-quarter acre lot versus $80 there for a 2500 SF lot. (No, that's not a typo-- lots in CA are smaller than homes in TN.) And in TN, people pay by check, and the gardener declares it and pays taxes.

Virtually no one in CA, AZ or TX is going to tell you that illegals are a good thing. They would be THRILLED to ship some our way!
For a business to claim that workers cannot be found that will accept low enough wages for a business to survive is a prime example of what we used to call a "cop out." There is a better and more explicit name for it, but I will refrain from its use.

There are plenty of ways to get things done with America's citizens, but it takes effort and creativity to find the ways; apparently that is too difficult for many, and for others the government provides options that take much less work to transfer money to the bottom line; it's commonly called milking the tax system and/or corporate welfare.

I have no sympathy for those businesses that are unable to find ways to stay in existence and make a profit without hiring illegal or legal immigrants. We have plenty of people in America to get done what needs to be done--in my humble opinion.

States ALLOW businesses to operate within their boundaries to make a profit and they are given charters to do so. If said businesses cannot employ the States' citizens and provide benefit to the communities while making profits, what good are they to the communities or the States.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:49 AM
pdq

170 posts, read 525,816 times
Yes of course lawn care and maid services cost less in TN and more in CA. Everything costs less in TN and more almost everywhere else. I can't believe that you're paying that much for lawn services in TN. We only pay $50 per month for two acres to be mowed and trimmed. They do an amazing job too.

I personally have never seen a lot as large as 2500sf in CA. Our house was on only a 1750sf lot when we lived in LA. I'll still never figure out how they got our 2600sf one story spanish stucco house on that lot with room enough to still have a good sized front and back yard.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:02 AM

37,755 posts, read 40,848,354 times
Politicians, politicians - Why do they try to spin what Americans can see with their own 2 eyes? Do they think we're that stupid? Is there anyone in Tennessee who wants to see the state turn into another Los Angeles where you are taxed to death to pay (medical, schools, incarceration, roads) for people who aren't Ameican citizens.

We don't even want Tennessee to turn into another Florida but you don't see any studies on how invading Floridians are improving the economy of Tennessee.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq View Post
Yes of course lawn care and maid services cost less in TN and more in CA. Everything costs less in TN and more almost everywhere else.
My point is, the spinmeisters always point out that CA needs illegals, since they economically provide services that legals don't want to provide, and lawn care and maid service are the two most mentioned. I am now in a position to objectively compare the two, so I did, to refute that common-- and simply untrue-- argument.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Politicians, politicians - Why do they try to spin what Americans can see with their own 2 eyes? Do they think we're that stupid? Is there anyone in Tennessee who wants to see the state turn into another Los Angeles where you are taxed to death to pay (medical, schools, incarceration, roads) for people who aren't Ameican citizens.

We don't even want Tennessee to turn into another Florida but you don't see any studies on how invading Floridians are improving the economy of Tennessee.
I agree. And it's politicians along with their corporate cronies, as a combined force, who continually attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of those they consider as "the sheeple."

Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 PM

With all the major problems we have in America these days, nobody wants to discuss what is likely the biggest problem of all—population. Short of world war or civil war or economic collapse, I can’t think of another problem that will so dramatically affect ALL our lives in a negative way more than the problem of population growth. Well, severe environmental degradation would certainly fall into that category. If population was controlled, then there are enough tens of millions of people who are waking up to better ways of doing things that we Americans overall will lessen our impact on the environment in general.

But with out-of-control population growth, the environment will be in grave danger as will a wide array of other social and economic functions. We simply do not need more people in America, and it doesn’t matter if the human tsunami is coming from Lithuania—in my humble opinion.

A pie that grows reasonably sliced into the same number of pieces means bigger slices for all. A pie that gets sliced into ever smaller pieces, and with no limit on the number of pieces, will eventually make slices so small as to be of no use.

Happiness will not come from living shoulder-to-shoulder. And we won’t make it better by spreading out into ever larger radii so that those beautiful and peaceful open areas that are of such great comfort are covered by concrete and asphalt.

It is shortsighted and non-creative to assume that the only way to build economies is to add more and more people into the mix. We will all suffer greatly, and our children even more, from such a mindset that might provide short-term monetary gratification for some.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:44 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 525,816 times
BRILLIANT happyappy!

Even China finally discovered the long term burden of over-population. It may have gone much too far to do anything about it now. Are we next?

Old 08-12-2007, 02:16 PM

Is the problem fixable? No, probably not. Is it stoppable? We could certainly put the brakes on it and contain the damage, but will we? No. Japan and China have certainly shown us the path we're on. Japan's decades-long real estate recession is a real eye-opener, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration