U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 01:46 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,007,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why legalize them? You claim (I believe) that we need many people here illegally.
No, I believe that our immigration laws should be eased to allow for higher mobility of labor such that it can respond to supply and demand.

Quote:
If we legalize them, then what? They no longer can do those lowly poorly paid jobs we supposedly need them to do, and even if legal, they won't be paying taxes, they'll be taking EITC.

The employers aren't going to want to pay legal wages just because their illegals turned legal, they would have to start over bringing in more truckloads of cheap replacements.

I fail to see a single benefit in legalization.
Um, what? Most illegals are making legal wages, so that's not really relevant. They'd work very similar jobs, if not identical jobs.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:49 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
No, I believe that our immigration laws should be eased to allow for higher mobility of labor such that it can respond to supply and demand.

Um, what? Most illegals are making legal wages, so that's not really relevant. They'd work very similar jobs, if not identical jobs.
Source?

Old 07-30-2011, 02:18 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,844,279 times
Quote:
Neither does their opinion, it's a poll.

You seem to be implying that they are somehow incorrect for caring about issues more or less than others. Not sure what you're getting at.
Well, it is quite telling that they are more concerned about foreign interlopers than the millions of unemployed citizens, and our tanking economy. THAT is my point. In other words, in my opinion, they don’t give a damn about this country.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Legal wages? So, it is now “legal” to work using a stolen or fake SSN? And, it is now also “legal” to employ illegal aliens? Please post the new laws that legalized these practices.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,392,785 times
Quote:
Great. All of your prior points, as you know, were fully generalizable to the welfare state as a whole. Is that not true?

Now, obviously I support pretty simple solutions to this - legalize them so they don't need to commit fraud, and then restrict their ability to collect welfare. The benefits of legalization will provide the necessary incentives.
As been repeatedly explained to you the welfare state is intended to support our poor people. It is not intended to support the world's poor people. It is most certainly not intended to specifically to support Mexico's poor people so as to allow them to live here if they cannot afford it.

Legalizing high school drop outs who don't even speak English is not going to magically increase their wages. If you legalize them you certainly can't them refuse them rights that you allow other poor American high school drop outs including the right to collect welfare. Your "solution" is allow millions of poor people to come here and collect welfare from the American taxpayer. That's no solution at all.

The best solution is enforcement coupled with penalties. No anchor babies who can collect food stamps on papi's behalf. No interpreters in any language. No instate tuition, public education for young illegals, driver's licenses, medicaid or any benefits at all if you are here without permission. Severe fines for employers and employees. Demand Mexico's cooperation or we invade their side of the fence and deal with the problem directly.

The US taxpayer should not be on the hook for Latin America's poverty no matter what American Latinos mistakenly believe.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:26 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,007,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Legal wages? So, it is now “legal” to work using a stolen or fake SSN? And, it is now also “legal” to employ illegal aliens? Please post the new laws that legalized these practices.
lol, don't embarrass yourself. You know what I am saying when I say "legal wage," there is no need to ignore all context.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:26 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times
Quote:
lol, don't embarrass yourself. You know what I am saying when I say "legal wage," there is no need to ignore all context.
Well if low wages aren't the reason for the employers to hire them, then there should be no problem for those employers to bring in work sponsored immigrants instead. After all there are no caps on H2A visas. The only glich is that legal wages must be paid. H1B visas may require a little more but if paying good wages isn't a problem, then why hire illegals?

Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Embarrassing myself? Please. Perhaps you should refer to their wages as prevailing, minimum, etc, rather than legal. They are illegal, so their employment and earnings are also illegal. However, I am still trying to understand how they can be “cheap” labor, and simultaneously earn the same wages and benefits as citizens.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Well if low wages aren't the reason for the employers to hire them, then there should be no problem for those employers to bring in work sponsored immigrants instead. After all there are no caps on H2A visas. The only glich is that legal wages must be paid. H1B visas may require a little more but if paying good wages isn't a problem, then why hire illegals?
Bingo!

Old 07-30-2011, 05:07 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Embarrassing myself? Please. Perhaps you should refer to their wages as prevailing, minimum, etc, rather than legal. They are illegal, so their employment and earnings are also illegal. However, I am still trying to understand how they can be “cheap” labor, and simultaneously earn the same wages and benefits as citizens.
I've asked the same question a few times and don't recall getting an answer. However, the pro-illegals will probably fall back on the accusation that American workers are lazy and unproductive so that is why illegals are hired instead. Yeah sure, it has nothing to do with being able to pay low wages to illegals for higher profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration