U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As citizens of this country, whose tax dollars are supporting millions of illegal aliens, it damn sure IS our business.
It's funny. Japan, S. Korea are developed nations and they don't allow unlimited third world immigration, yet you never hear of any criticism of those countries for it. They aren't even criticized for not having racial "diversity", yet the most open and diverse nation on the planet is condemned.

There is no evidence that immigration benefits the sending regions, yes they may be rolling in remittance money but they have been less stable than ever.

 
Old 07-31-2011, 02:46 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The U.S. border isn’t an entrance booth at an amusement park. We are a sovereign nation, with every right to dictate our immigration laws. If you are so concerned about the impoverished from Mexico and other nations, why don’t you work with their governments to improve conditions? We don’t owe them a damn thing.
All excellent comments by you and other patriots in here. I am glad I have an ignore list so I don't have to read this illegal alien sympathizer nonsense anymore.

Last edited by chicagonut; 07-31-2011 at 02:56 PM..
 
Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The I-601 process is harsh on offenses, so navigating it would be harder than a regular process of legal immigration (the person also has to specifically be married to a U.S. citizen). How long is necessary before someone can legally immigrate back? Does a violation of immigration law trump a felony for the penalty phase?

The Legal Permanent Resident committing the same level of felony has access to the same appeal process after being deported (if married to a U.S. citizen). A U.S. citizen committing (being charged and convicted, which immigrants may not be) only the same level of offense is going to be eventually released. As part of the I-601 process I'm sure those factors are addressed.

Why can't we just be happy for Uzo?...
Because I am not an illegal alien sympathizer, that's why. As i said, most likely he stole a job from an American and perhaps an American's SS number and/or I.D. to work here which is a felony.
 
Old 07-31-2011, 05:43 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sorry, but intent and motive are not the same. As a law student, you should know this.
Do you know what a goalpost shift is? Actually, motive frequently overlaps with and/or demonstrates intent. Don't worry about it though.
 
Old 07-31-2011, 07:00 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,465,796 times
Reputation: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Clearly, not all are sending money home to support their children, as evidenced by the boy in the video. Nor have they all left their children in loving and nurturing environments. Should we simply discount the abandoned children? I think not.

Furthermore, NOTHING can replace a mother’s love. If you disagree, ask those who were raised without one.
I haven't seen this video, but assuming what you say is true, okay, you're right in this case. Bad mother, then.

But there are plenty of bad mothers who are born here. Let's not use one example and let it speak for the whole.
 
Old 07-31-2011, 07:07 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,465,796 times
Reputation: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
First, let’s get something clear. I am not a “dude." I am a woman.

Like every country in the world, we have standards and criteria by which we determine who will or will not be admitted to our country. Some qualify, while others do not. Those who do not, must accept our decision as a sovereign nation, and choose other means to support themselves and their families. The citizens of the U.S. have no legal or moral obligation to offer opportunities and benefits to the impoverished of other countries. That is the responsibility of their respective governments.

If you applied to a college and your application was denied, would you accept the decision? Or, would you arrive at the campus expecting a room in a dorm, the right to attend classes, take exams, receive grades, and ultimately participate in the graduation and receive a degree? Of course not! So, why should you expect us to embrace foreigners who are living in this country without our permission?



Sorry, but we are indeed a dumping ground, and the laughingstock of the world. No other country would tolerate this level of unabated massive illegal immigration, especially not to the detriment of its own citizens.



My ability to “understand” their motives for coming here does not change the fact that this is an unsustainable burden. Likewise, I understand why some people sell drugs, but I still do not condone it.



But, this particular woman is well aware of the negative environment her son is being forced to endure. So, let’s not try to make excuses for her. Yes, some may leave their children with responsible relatives. However, again, there simply is no substitute for a mother’s love. As a mother, I could never have left my son. Nor could I ever possibly enjoy life knowing that I would never see him again. But, that’s just me. Her desire to enter this country was strong enough for her to overcome numerous obstacles. Had she a similar desire to be reunited with her son, she would likewise find a way.



This is an article pertaining to children left behind by their parents. Please specify the half-assed examples.

By the way, I notice you didn’t comment on illegal aliens remaining home and fighting for their rights like the “Negroes” did in this country. Do you believe they are incapable of doing the same?
Well, you seem pretty passionate about the issue - more so than I am at the moment. At any rate, most of the official data I've seen suggests that illegal immigration is actually on the decline, so I guess we can rejoice then.

My wife is a legal immigrant, so I can't really say I disagree with you. I think it should be done the right way, all other things equal. But knowing the immigration process fairly well, and having lived as a temporary immigrant in another country, I guess I am a bit more understanding and sympathetic to what the average immigrant deals with, and I could at least understand why some would be willing to take a chance. In my experience, the difference between those who are permitted to land in a given country and those that aren't isn't virtue; it's skills and perhaps fortuitous circumstances for some, and not so good circumstances for others.
 
Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's funny. Japan, S. Korea are developed nations and they don't allow unlimited third world immigration, yet you never hear of any criticism of those countries for it. They aren't even criticized for not having racial "diversity", yet the most open and diverse nation on the planet is condemned.

There is no evidence that immigration benefits the sending regions, yes they may be rolling in remittance money but they have been less stable than ever.
That is true and something I always thought about. For years, Japan has been a country that has made it difficult for any foreigner (gaijin) to make Japan their home. Japan has come a long way from that. However, while it was such a country that was super-selective in its immigration process, it did not receive such criticism or push for immigration reform.

What's up with that?
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:14 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
and in this one we are talking about the illegals that leave and forget thier families. Why does it always have to be an either or argument?
Well, yeah, that's the point, you guys keep flipping between which ever argument lets you bash illegals. If them caring about their kids (and sending them money) lets you complain then you'll complain about them caring. if them not caring about their kids lets you complain then you'll complain about them not caring.
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sorry, but illegal aliens do not only commit “status crimes.”
US citizens commit those crimes, too! OMG NOW WHAT??? We better keep all US Citizens out because SOME OF THEM are BAD APPLES!!!
 
Old 08-01-2011, 08:04 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
That is true and something I always thought about. For years, Japan has been a country that has made it difficult for any foreigner (gaijin) to make Japan their home. Japan has come a long way from that. However, while it was such a country that was super-selective in its immigration process, it did not receive such criticism or push for immigration reform.

What's up with that?
Good question. I'd like to know the answer to that also. At one time we were a nation of immigrants but not so today. Today we are a nation of Americans with our own identity, culture and language while still allowing in legal immigrants. Our native born population way outnumbers any immigrants coming here today. Why is it that our country is not allowed to retain its identity as a nation without being demonized for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top