U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:03 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,469,168 times

Advertisements

How about them taking care of their families by first all not having a whole lot of children when they can't afford them and building up their own communities so that everyone doesn't have to bail?

Of course not everyone in Mexico or Central America is just having baby after baby that they cannot feed, some people manage to stay in school, learn job skills, start their families after they are in a position to do so. Those are the people who are building their countries, forming the growing middle classes there.

Massive and unlimited illegal immigration is not a good solution any way you look at it. It doesn't fix the problem in the culture of the sending nations. The problems back home are fixed by the people who remain there and work on the problems.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:25 AM

15,179 posts, read 16,211,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Sounds like a good reason to make it easier for people to legally enter the US. Then the kids wouldn't be left behind since the crossing is so dangerous.
No, it sounds like a good reason for people to remain in their countries of origin and fight for change.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
That's not exactly the point. Depending on the article you guys are "discussing" the issue becomes either "omg they don't take care of their families, clearly these people are largely degenerates" or "America isn't benefiting when they are just sending the money home to their families omg!"

And it's not like everyone is taking care to note that this is a tiny minority of illegal immigrants. The whole discussion is an exercise in confirmation bias and broadstroke characterizations.
I assume you are not a parent. Otherwise, you would realize children need a heck of a lot more than a monthly remittance. There is NO substitute for a loving and nurturing parent. And, the results of childhood abandonment are long-term and devastating.

BTW, please share your proof that only a ďtiny minorityĒ of illegals have left behind children.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:38 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,041,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I assume you are not a parent. Otherwise, you would realize children need a heck of a lot more than a monthly remittance. There is NO substitute for a loving and nurturing parent. And, the results of childhood abandonment are long-term and devastating.
Who is saying anything to the contrary? My point is that you alternately do or do not give a **** about their families depending on which position allows you to oppose illegal immigration with more vigor.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Who is saying anything to the contrary? My point is that you alternately do or do not give a **** about their families depending on which position allows you to oppose illegal immigration with more vigor.
Rather than assuming you know me, which you certainly do not, why not comment on this issue? Are you now the arbiter of what should or should not be discussed in this forum? I post articles pertaining to illegal immigration, period. If you donít like the topic, donít participate in the discussion.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Rather than assuming you know me, which you certainly do not, why not comment on this issue? Are you now the arbiter of what should or should not be discussed in this forum? I post articles pertaining to illegal immigration, period. If you donít like the topic, donít participate in the discussion.
lol "you don't know me!" Yeah, I just read what you say in the forum and take note of it.

This has nothing to do with how much I "like" the topic.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:18 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,845,527 times
Quote:

Are we suppose to care about the world's problems and their family's. Who cares about our American Family's and our people who are barely making it, any takers, any Countries gladly take them in, and take care of them for us. Your right we do not wish to dwell on those who come to this Country illegally and their family's tell them to stay put, and have this discussion with their own Government. Their Government should be the one fixing what is wrong, not us, and not our responsiblity, now they want to come to this Country by legal means, that is a different story.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,701,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Sounds like a good reason to make it easier for people to legally enter the US. Then the kids wouldn't be left behind since the crossing is so dangerous.
What jobs would they do?

That's what I don't understand about the immigration reform concept. Just because you label a person legal or a make a better route for them to come here legally doesn't mean their life is going to be better here or that they will have financial success enough here in the United States to be in a situation where they don't become someone who takes more than gives.

I understand that you are saying that if they didn't have to sneak then they wouldn't endanger the child, but do we really want to revamp the whole system just so people can bring their children with them?

Does anyone else think about how the majority of the people that would come here are at a great chance for needing to use government funds once they are here legally? How is that not scary or make us weary about making immigration easier?

It's just weird hearing people say, "Make it easier for them." Why? They are already here, just because we make them legal ("Oooh! Let's give them a legal title and that will magically make them less reliant on government assistance!") or make the future ones able to come in easier doesn't mean that their economic status and contributions will change. I just think we need more bluntness when it comes to immigration. I'm not even one of those people against immigration. I love traveling and different people. I just think that this idea to just welcome all that want to come is gonna hurt the country. We're already broke, unemployed, jobs being sent overseas, school systems crowded. A lot of the legal immigrants have been here for a decade and STILL need government help, haven't gotten an education, yet, have tons of children, grandchildren and are in Wal-Mart buying their milk and eggs with a WIC check. Giving people a special title of not being an illegal isn't going to change that. That just makes it easier for them to get more.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
lol "you don't know me!" Yeah, I just read what you say in the forum and take note of it.

This has nothing to do with how much I "like" the topic.
In that case, why are you trying to second-guess my motives? Why not simply comment on the topic? As for my posts on this forum, if you have read them, you would know that I abhor the mistreatment of children. . . . ALL CHILDREN.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
In that case, why are you trying to second-guess my motives? Why not simply comment on the topic? As for my posts on this forum, if you have read them, you would know that I abhor the mistreatment of children. . . . ALL CHILDREN.
I'm not second guessing your motives. I'm telling you that you will come out on the side of whatever makes illegal immigrants look the worst, regardless of logical consistency. I'm sorry that my estimates offend you, I'm sure one day you'll think of something illegal immigrants do that you do not oppose.

I'm glad that you abhor the mistreatment of children. No one said otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or