U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 11:16 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,689,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Amazing isn't it that many pro-illegals think the answer is to open our southern border so that entire Mexican families can come here unabated with no thought as to the negative impact that would have on our own citizens and their families.
Alot of these guys come in and live 7-8 to a 2 bedroom apartment and send a bunch of money back home.
People complain that we need them for low-paying jobs etc.
Ok, how about this? They're here illegally...they're breaing the law. When we citizens break a law, we pay in some way...so make them pay. Make them pay a fine. Fine them for however long it's been determined they've been here...with a little investigation, TPTB can find that out.
AND, tell them they have so much time to get legal or get out.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I had to stop at 7:58, because it was just too sad. How can his mother live with herself? And, I bet she has given birth while here. Who can condone this?
I know, especially since if you watch the whole series, you can see what becomes of that poor kid. Imagine having your mother walk out of your life when you are only 11, and she doesn't give a damn what becomes of you.

And yes, most likely she's got a whole new family that she prefers to this poor child because her new family comes with food stamps, WIC and medicaid.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:19 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
We obviously find this unfortunate and disturbing. The difference between you and I is if I stumbled across two articles, one about child abandonment and the other about child abandonment by illegal immigrants, I wouldn't get giddy at the chance to use one to aid the narrative I want to create.

If border crossing were less dangerous, and if a future could be guaranteed for emigrants, the likelihood of them leaving their children would drop drastically.
Oh, please. Articles on childhood abandonment are plentiful, and NONE make me giddy. However, this is the Illegal Immigration Forum. Therefore, we discuss articles pertaining to illegal aliens, not general topics.

Sorry, but we are not obligated to change our immigration laws to accommodate illegal aliens. Nor do our immigration laws force people to abandon their children. Thatís utter BS. Letís face reality. Some people should not have children, period.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:24 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Quote:
Oh, please. Articles on childhood abandonment are plentiful, and NONE make me giddy. However, this is the Illegal Immigration Forum. Therefore, we discuss articles pertaining to illegal aliens, not general topics.

Sorry, but we are not obligated to change our immigration laws to accommodate illegal aliens. Nor do our immigration laws force people to abandon their children. Thatís utter BS. Letís face reality. Some people should not have children, period.
I agree that some people shouldn't have children. That's separate from the issue of illegal immigration, however, and this is the illegal immigration forum.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
On the surface it looks downright despicable, but it also needs to be examined in its proper context. Leaving children can be bad, but maybe they're leaving them with an aunt or a grandparent. Doubtful, obviously, if they move and never come back, but it's possible they might be handing over care to their families and sending money back home. If that's the case, then they're still receiving love and support, which is what matters. We take a lot for granted living in a first world country.
Clearly, not all are sending money home to support their children, as evidenced by the boy in the video. Nor have they all left their children in loving and nurturing environments. Should we simply discount the abandoned children? I think not.

Furthermore, NOTHING can replace a motherís love. If you disagree, ask those who were raised without one.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I agree that some people shouldn't have children. That's separate from the issue of illegal immigration, however, and this is the illegal immigration forum.
Clearly, illegal aliens who choose to abandon their children, fall within the category of people who should not have children.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Quote:
Clearly, illegal aliens who choose to abandon their children, fall within the category of people who should not have children.
Probably, yeah. There are probably contexts, whether or not one's illegal, where abandoning the child is the best move for the child. I doubt that's common, but it certainly happens.

I think that many people leaving their children behind in Mexico are not interested in straight up abandoning those children. Some may be, I don't know. This is the sort of problem that tends to arise in pretty severe poverty.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:37 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
We obviously find this unfortunate and disturbing. The difference between you and I is if I stumbled across two articles, one about child abandonment and the other about child abandonment by illegal immigrants, I wouldn't get giddy at the chance to use one to aid the narrative I want to create.

If border crossing were less dangerous, and if a future could be guaranteed for emigrants, the likelihood of them leaving their children would drop drastically.
Or how about this option:

Instead of having baby after baby that they cannot afford, they learn a little sexual restraint or birth control and finish their educations, find some stability, then have children after they can afford them - and do all this in their own countries and at the same time they will be building infrastructure, creating jobs.

Wouldn't that be much better than the current situation, the growth of Central American gangs which is a result of children being abandoned to the streets. Their homelands would be improved.

And wouldn't it really be better for the USA if the countries south of us were more stable and prosperous? Our is the craving for cheap labor that important to keep filling?

Old 07-31-2011, 11:42 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,464,997 times
Quote:
Clearly, not all are sending money home to support their children, as evidenced by the boy in the video. Nor have they all left their children in loving and nurturing environments. Should we simply discount the abandoned children? I think not.

Furthermore, NOTHING can replace a mother’s love. If you disagree, ask those who were raised without one.
I wasn't saying that all of them were caring for their children or sending money home; I'm just reminding people that these examples don't necessarily represent the truth either. FWIW, I am with you: I strongly oppose the act of having more children here, especially when they have children back home. That's just wrong, wrong, and wrong.

At the same time, I don't think we should be using examples like this to, as one poster put it, paint a narrative about a broader political issue. I think that Rock was right: if immigration were easier, they might not be in this situation to begin with.

We tend to look at immigration as something we need to control. We come at it from a different perspective, which is not to say that we don't have legitimate concerns. We do have reasons for concern, such as preserving our economic well-being and stability and so forth. But our own ancestors immigrated...made basically the same dangerous trek that many from Latin America, SE Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean make these days. And they probably faced the same challenges. After doing some research I found out that my great great grandfather was sent on a ship with his older brother to avoid being drafter in the German army around 1850. You could look at that as "abandonment" I reckon, but it was motivated by love. It was motivated by a parent trying to do what she thought was best for her family. Granted, different circumstances, but that's just it. Each of us has a different story to tell. Let them tell it, not some YouTube video.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Probably, yeah. There are probably contexts, whether or not one's illegal, where abandoning the child is the best move for the child. I doubt that's common, but it certainly happens.

I think that many people leaving their children behind in Mexico are not interested in straight up abandoning those children. Some may be, I don't know. This is the sort of problem that tends to arise in pretty severe poverty.
Their ďintentĒ does not change the result, or lessen the emotional scars of these children. Sure, many may come intending to work and send money home. But, when they make a conscious decision to enter into a new relationship, and give birth to additional children, never to return to their families, that is NOT the result of our immigration laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or