U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124

Advertisements

Nope, they're citizens, period, end of sentence. There's no bastardization. The 14th amendment is plain english. There's no tricks going on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Nope, they're citizens, period, end of sentence. There's no bastardization. The 14th amendment is plain english. There's no tricks going on here.
They were born here because their parents chose to flout our laws. Itís similar to the stigma of being born in prison. I certainly wouldnít wish that on anyone. Unfortunately, the children always suffer when their parents choose to live outside the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They were born here because their parents chose to flout our laws.
So? The 14th amendment doesn't require that the parents be of high moral fiber or anything else.

Quote:
Itís similar to the stigma of being born in prison. I certainly wouldnít wish that on anyone. Unfortunately, the children always suffer when their parents choose to live outside the law.
The fact that you judge them for the actions of others doesn't have anything to do with their citizenship status or whether it's "bastardized."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So? The 14th amendment doesn't require that the parents be of high moral fiber or anything else.



The fact that you judge them for the actions of others doesn't have anything to do with their citizenship status or whether it's "bastardized."
I donít judge the children. They are innocent victims of their parasitic parents, who exploit them for personal gain. In fact, I feel nothing but compassion for the children; and, nothing but contempt for their parents. Actually, I would prefer if the children were not stigmatized with the label anchor baby. Likewise, I donít believe children should be referred to as illegitimate. Someone should think of an appropriate label for their illegal alien parents. After all, it is the parents who are violating our laws, not the children. I hope this clarifies my position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I donít judge the children.
You just said they have a stigma, and you don't think they should be citizens because of who their parents are.

You say you don't want them to be stigmatized but you consider thier citizenship to be a "bastardization".

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
You just said they have a stigma, and you don't think they should be citizens because of who their parents are.

You say you don't want them to be stigmatized but you consider thier citizenship to be a "bastardization".

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.
No, I am not. They are the offspring of illegal aliens. That is a fact. And, unfortunately, the children are being stigmatized due to the behavior of their parents, similar to the children of unwed parents. I canít change that. It is what it is. And, in both instances, the parents are responsible for the stigma.

However, as long as the U.S. government allows U.S. citizenship to be sullied, there is nothing I can do, but accept their status. But, I donít have to agree. And, I donít.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 03:53 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, I am not. They are the offspring of illegal aliens. That is a fact. And, unfortunately, the children are being stigmatized due to the behavior of their parents, similar to the children of unwed parents. I canít change that. It is what it is. And, in both instances, the parents are responsible for the stigma.

However, as long as the U.S. government allows U.S. citizenship to be sullied, there is nothing I can do, but accept their status. But, I donít have to agree. And, I donít.
It's a stigma that YOU contribute to. When you describe their citizenship as "bastardized" and mope about how you grudging accept their status, you're perpetrating that stigma. You just said you don't agree with it. So yes, you're judging them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
It's a stigma that YOU contribute to. When you describe their citizenship as "bastardized" and mope about how you grudging accept their status, you're perpetrating that stigma. You just said you don't agree with it. So yes, you're judging them.
No, I am not judging the children. They are innocent. But, that doesnít mean I must support Birthright Citizenship which grants citizenship status to the children of illegal aliens. If you canít understand the difference, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So? The 14th amendment doesn't require that the parents be of high moral fiber or anything else.

The fact that you judge them for the actions of others doesn't have anything to do with their citizenship status or whether it's "bastardized."
No, citizenship status should not be determined by the "moral fiber" of the parents. But, it should be determined by the parentsí citizenship status. Only the children of U.S. citizens should be classified as U.S. citizens. How on earth does Illegal + Illegal = Legal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,877 posts, read 4,023,523 times
Reputation: 4130
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Undocumented Workers Heading Home | KSEE 24 News - Central Valley's News Station: Fresno-Visalia - News, Sports, Weather | Local News

I have heard that many illegal immigrants are now heading back home because of a terrible economy here, stricter enforcement of immigration laws, and a booming economy back home. Mexico's economy enjoys an unemployment rate half that of the US. Similarly, many countries in Latin America have low unemployment and while living conditions may not be to the same standards, having a job is important because many of these immigrants believe in hard work, many times in jobs that Americans flatly refuse to do for various reasons (most glaringly agriculture).

Will this trend continue? Will it reverse again back to the US once the economy recovers? What can the US and international countries do to stem illegal immigration and offer jobs and a better life for their own people?
They won't be missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top