U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, citizenship status should not be determined by the "moral fiber" of the parents. But, it should be determined by the parents’ citizenship status. Only the children of U.S. citizens should be classified as U.S. citizens. How on earth does Illegal + Illegal = Legal?
Citizenship is not always based on the status of the parents. I know you don't LIKE that, but for all your talk about the importance of the law, you'd think you'd accept it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,329,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
The 14th amendment is plain english. There's no tricks going on here.
It's kinda funny to see this quote coming from a guy named "rhymetime".

I'm looking forward to immigration reform closing this loophole.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:33 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,848,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Citizenship is not always based on the status of the parents. I know you don't LIKE that, but for all your talk about the importance of the law, you'd think you'd accept it.
Thanks for that riveting revelation. Otherwise, I would not realize the US-born children of criminal invaders are granted U.S. citizenship.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thanks for that riveting revelation. Otherwise, I would not realize the US-born children of criminal invaders are granted U.S. citizenship.
Oh see, you give such deference to the law, I just assumed that stating it would win you over.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
It's kinda funny to see this quote coming from a guy named "rhymetime".

I'm looking forward to immigration reform closing this loophole.
It's in the constitution, so Congress actually can't do that.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
The 14th amendment is plain english. There's no tricks going on here.

The 14th Amendment reads:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and the State wherein they reside."

This excludes foreigners who are subject to other jurisdictions, such as babies of Mexican mothers.

The Original Intent of the 14th Amendment

Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
It's in the constitution, so Congress actually can't do that.
Are you joking? You aren't seriously telling me that Congress cannot amend the Constitution?

Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
The 14th Amendment reads:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and the State wherein they reside."

This excludes foreigners who are subject to other jurisdictions, such as babies of Mexican mothers.

The Original Intent of the 14th Amendment
Sadly, this discussion has been had here before by people who are pretty experienced in legal thingies. The law has been established clearly by the Supreme Court, and is in line with a long history of common law jurisprudence dating back centuries.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Are you joking? You aren't seriously telling me that Congress cannot amend the Constitution?

When you said "immigration reform" I assume you meant legislation.

But uh, NO CONGRESS CANNOT AMEND THE CONSTITUTION SHOCKED FACE

Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
The law has been established clearly by the Supreme Court, and is in line with a long history of common law jurisprudence dating back centuries.
Wrong and wrong. The Supreme Court has made numerous correct interpretations of the 14th Amendment in addition to its incorrect interpretations. Normal jurisprudence is that anchor babies are not citizens. We are the only country in the world with this insane policy.

Not only CAN Congress amend the Constitution to close this anchor baby loophole, this is actually the ONLY THING Congress should do about our invasion. The media keep pretending that Congress is the one who should address this crisis. Our problem is in law enforcement, which is the job of the Executive Branch of the government. The problem is that one White House regime after another has neglected its duty to enforce the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or