U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yet, you remain unable to prove illegals are more productive, “harder” workers. Or, did a little introspection prompt you to write the bolded sentence? If so, kudos!
WAT

I never made that claim. I've only claimed that there are two basic reasons that you're going to see someone hiring person A over person B: they are cheaper, or they are more productive. If an employer thinks they are more productive on average, they might lean toward hiring them. You, however, have decided that this CANNOT be the case, and they must be "greedy" (aka looking for cheaper labor, which again is a totally legitimate reason to prefer someone).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They’re greedy and unscrupulous. What would you expect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yet, you remain unable to prove illegals are more productive, “harder” workers. Or, did a little introspection prompt you to write the bolded sentence? If so, kudos!
Yeah I mean this guy is so greedy he hires immigrants because he actually wants the job done so he can get paid.

Colorado orchards try to hire locally, but workers aren't interested - The Denver Post

Quote:
At Talbott, the largest fruit operation in the Grand Valley, hundreds of job-seekers asked about employment this year and last. This spring, only 15 of the workers sent out by the Mesa County Workforce Center submitted applications.


Nine showed up for work. Four of those were gone after a week. One remains on the crew, and he is missing work this day because he was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving the previous night.
Quote:
The locals worked 37 to 55 hours a week while the H-2A workers were in the orchards for about 70 hours.
Quote:
[He said because he has seen desperation in their eyes this year, he tries to hire them despite the challenges. In doing so, he runs the risk of not having enough workers at harvest time. If his American workers quit, it will be too late to apply for more H-2A workers.
A requirement that employers anticipate the shortage of local workers and apply for H-2A workers at least 45 days before the workers are needed is just one of the complications of the guest-worker program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:13 PM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don’t recall anyone denying the contributions of immigrants. But, illegal aliens are a scourge, sucking the very life out of this country. Please don’t denigrate immigrants by comparing them to ID thieves and frauds.

LOL. Yes clearly they are so different. Maybe you should inform those farmers of the scourge. I mean, they are trying to make it easier for people who would enter illegally to get here in a legal manner so they do not have to pay coyotes, commit ID fraud, etc. I'm pretty sure this is because they also believe those would be illegals are hard workers and they probably don't want to get in trouble. Don't they know it's the scourge?!?! Herp a derp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:15 PM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,242,105 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
LOL. Yes clearly they are so different. Maybe you should inform those farmers of the scourge. I mean, they are trying to make it easier for people who would enter illegally to get here in a legal manner so they do not have to pay coyotes, commit ID fraud, etc. I'm pretty sure this is because they also believe those would be illegals are hard workers and they probably don't want to get in trouble. Don't they know it's the scourge?!?! Herp a derp.
You don't see a big difference between people who follow our laws and people who break them? Your stance makes much more sense now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:23 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,150 posts, read 30,614,837 times
Reputation: 12822
The only time the race card is thrown in, is from the illegal alien sympathizers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 PM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
You don't see a big difference between people who follow our laws and people who break them? Your stance makes much more sense now.
The inability to distinguish "supporting illegal activity" from "wanting the restrictions on legal immigration eased so people can do the legal thing" is remarkable. Pretty much every one on this board tries to drive this straw man home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The only time the race card is thrown in, is from the illegal alien sympathizers.

Yeah except for when you guys cry that legal Mexican Americans wanting immigration reform are supporting illegals of the same race. ETHNOCENTRISM!?! oh my gawd!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:25 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The only time the race card is thrown in, is from the illegal alien sympathizers.
Swing and a miss! Actually, there are threads within your reach dedicated to the claim that Mexicans support illegal immigrants out of ethnocentric obligation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:29 PM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,242,105 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
The inability to distinguish "supporting illegal activity" from "wanting the restrictions on legal immigration eased so people can do the legal thing" is remarkable. Pretty much every one on this board tries to drive this straw man home.




Yeah except for when you guys cry that legal Mexican Americans wanting immigration reform are supporting illegals of the same race. ETHNOCENTRISM!?! oh my gawd!!
It does make sense why you are so pro-illegal. You don't think they are any different from law-abiding people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Yeah I mean this guy is so greedy he hires immigrants because he actually wants the job done so he can get paid.

Colorado orchards try to hire locally, but workers aren't interested - The Denver Post
Quote:
The locals worked 37 to 55 hours a week while the H-2A workers were in the orchards for about 70 hours.
It sounds more like slave labor than anything else. You do know the slaves worked from sunup to sundown, without pay. You would be hard-pressed to find a “harder” working group. That is certainly not something we should want to repeat. And, when did working 55 hours per week become slothful behavior?

I often wonder how we ever managed without illegals. How did our crops get picked? Who built our infrastructure, and our houses? Who made our beds? Who mowed our lawns? Who cleaned our toilets? It certainly couldn’t have been the lazy Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
LOL. Yes clearly they are so different. Maybe you should inform those farmers of the scourge. I mean, they are trying to make it easier for people who would enter illegally to get here in a legal manner so they do not have to pay coyotes, commit ID fraud, etc. I'm pretty sure this is because they also believe those would be illegals are hard workers and they probably don't want to get in trouble. Don't they know it's the scourge?!?! Herp a derp.
They already have access to unlimited workers. Only those workers would demand to be paid in accordance with DOL regulations. They certainly can’t have that, and make a profit, can they? Nothing but pure greed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top