U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-02-2011, 09:41 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,011,375 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Only that person can answer what her true motivations are. It is in my opinion less than relevent.
I support smile train. I have a cleft palate. I try to give back to those less fortunate. Am I a bad person because I identify with those a feel a bond with?
This person feels she is doing something to help those she feels need a voice. I disagree with her position but it is her right none the less.
And I've said that there is a reason why a lot of Hispanics support illegal immigrants' rights - they naturally sympathize with people they identify with due to their shared heritage. You seem to understand this concept, and yet I've seen you show contempt for it depending on the context.

But the argument put forward in that thread is laughably bad, not to mention the epitome of why you see accusations of racism. Someone links an article mentioning that this woman is a 4th generation Mexican-American, and there are five posts highlighting that fact followed by "no wonder," "who else?" or whatever. Followed by numerous defenses of the causal link between her heritage and views as if it's ****ing science. Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 59,046,729 times
Reputation: 22180
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
You probably don't know many spaniards, I am Spanish and identify with the rest of spanish speaking people from the americas, all the compatriots that I know also feel the same way, our language is like a priced possesion, there are many differences among hispanic( hispanic comes from spanish ) but our common denominator is spanish and it unites us....
You can only speak for yourself. I can guarantee you that many Americans with Spanish ancestry not only do not speak Spanish but also don't identify with illegals at all.

Cesar Chavez for example was a Spanish-American, he allso distinguished his group from Mexicans by referring to them as Mexican Americans and many used the term "chicano". "Hispanic" is traditionally used by those trying to deny their Central American Indian ethnicity.

You may not realize this but before the big mad dash over the border of millions of new arrivals since the late 1980s, "hispanics" or Spanish-Americans were a Conservative voting block. Not only that - they still are, which is one reason the "hispanic" voting block is not pure democrat, and not all pro-massive and unlimited illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 59,046,729 times
Reputation: 22180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
And I've said that there is a reason why a lot of Hispanics support illegal immigrants' rights - they naturally sympathize with people they identify with due to their shared heritage. You seem to understand this concept, and yet I've seen you show contempt for it depending on the context.

But the argument put forward in that thread is laughably bad, not to mention the epitome of why you see accusations of racism. Someone links an article mentioning that this woman is a 4th generation Mexican-American, and there are five posts highlighting that fact followed by "no wonder," "who else?" or whatever. Followed by numerous defenses of the causal link between her heritage and views as if it's ****ing science. Ridiculous.
Or they want the cheap submissive labor they came to know and love back in their home countries.

Often wealthy "hispanic" immigrants cannot fathom making their own beds or mowing their own lawns. They're used to being surrounded by submissive maids, lawn boys, shoe shine boys. The idea of paying legal wages to their servants seems just as absurd to them here in the USA as it was back home. They certainly can't picture hiring white Americans and black Americans aren't going to take the attitude of the upper class hispanic immigrants when it comes to being servants to them.

And many want the power that comes with being the "speakers" of the Spanish speaking who are unable to ever learn English, it makes them a very controllable group of followers, easy votes to control.

As far as the woman in the OP post, it sounds like she herself is the ethnocentric that has zero respect for American laws when it comes to the ethnicity she identifies herself with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,011,375 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or they want the cheap submissive labor they came to know and love back in their home countries.

Often wealthy "hispanic" immigrants cannot fathom making their own beds or mowing their own lawns. They're used to being surrounded by submissive maids, lawn boys, shoe shine boys. The idea of paying legal wages to their servants seems just as absurd to them here in the USA as it was back home. They certainly can't picture hiring white Americans and black Americans aren't going to take the attitude of the upper class hispanic immigrants when it comes to being servants to them.

And many want the power that comes with being the "speakers" of the Spanish speaking who are unable to ever learn English, it makes them a very controllable group of followers, easy votes to control.

As far as the woman in the OP post, it sounds like she herself is the ethnocentric that has zero respect for American laws when it comes to the ethnicity she identifies herself with.
This is literally a post full of stereotypes.

With the exception of your last paragraph which is just typical hyperbolic nonsense. Don't agree with your preferred laws? Well then it must be ZERO RESPECT FOR AMERICAN LAWS, of course. I mean, what other reason could you have for opposing a law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 59,046,729 times
Reputation: 22180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
This is literally a post full of stereotypes.

With the exception of your last paragraph which is just typical hyperbolic nonsense. Don't agree with your preferred laws? Well then it must be ZERO RESPECT FOR AMERICAN LAWS, of course. I mean, what other reason could you have for opposing a law?
Well they would be exactly like the American elites who want unlimited submissive cheap servants.

Of course it's fine for the pro-illegals to stereotype all Americans as unwilling to work, lazy workers. Just like Vicente Fox himself did.

And of course the pro-illegals have zero respect for American laws. They believe they can cross the border illegally, disregard the terms of their shopping visas, student visas. Of course they also believe in identity theft, felony document fraud, the stolen social security number business. They have no respect at all for labor laws, driving with insurance laws. Any law that gets in their way is fine to ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 10:10 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,011,375 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well they would be exactly like the American elites who want unlimited submissive cheap servants.
You mean people willing to work for less. Right? I mean, this is a pretty normal thing to want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course it's fine for the pro-illegals to stereotype all Americans as unwilling to work, lazy workers. Just like Vicente Fox himself did.
No, it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And of course the pro-illegals have zero respect for American laws. They believe they can cross the border illegally, disregard the terms of their shopping visas, student visas. Of course they also believe in identity theft, felony document fraud, the stolen social security number business. They have no respect at all for labor laws, driving with insurance laws. Any law that gets in their way is fine to ignore.
Does breaking a law mean that you have zero respect for American laws, or is this one just particularly important? Seriously asking.

I mean, you can admit that your last sentence is hyperbole because it clearly is. Many, many people break laws when they don't believe they are hurting anyone. They aren't running around murdering American workers to take their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,990,983 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
And I've said that there is a reason why a lot of Hispanics support illegal immigrants' rights - they naturally sympathize with people they identify with due to their shared heritage. You seem to understand this concept, and yet I've seen you show contempt for it depending on the context.

But the argument put forward in that thread is laughably bad, not to mention the epitome of why you see accusations of racism. Someone links an article mentioning that this woman is a 4th generation Mexican-American, and there are five posts highlighting that fact followed by "no wonder," "who else?" or whatever. Followed by numerous defenses of the causal link between her heritage and views as if it's ****ing science. Ridiculous.
My contempt for cheats and those who seek to reward them is no secret and I am not ashamed of this. However, they do have a right to their opinions, just as I have a right to mine.
What I question as on another thread. If you don't like to be stereotyped then take a stand against those who are the cause of the stereotype. i detest rednecks. I grew up on a farm and my family was poor. But our house was clean and our yard neat. I am married to an asian woman and detest the stares we get. rednecks it would seem get confused. They often think my wife is hispanic.. If she were I would love her just as much. I dont hang out with necks, live with necks or try to justify their ignorance. Its hard for me to grasp that on 1 hand someone doesn't want to be stereotyped but on the other they support the very ones causing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 10:18 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,011,375 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
My contempt for cheats and those who seek to reward them is no secret and I am not ashamed of this. However, they do have a right to their opinions, just as I have a right to mine.
What I question as on another thread. If you don't like to be stereotyped then take a stand against those who are the cause of the stereotype. i detest rednecks. I grew up on a farm and my family was poor. But our house was clean and our yard neat. I am married to an asian woman and detest the stares we get. rednecks it would seem get confused. They often think my wife is hispanic.. If she were I would love her just as much. I dont hang out with necks, live with necks or try to justify their ignorance. Its hard for me to grasp that on 1 hand someone doesn't want to be stereotyped but on the other they support the very ones causing it.
...the people who "cause" stereotypes shouldn't really be at issue here. People generally, in my opinion, deserve not to be stereotyped. They don't forfeit that based on their political opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,990,983 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
...the people who "cause" stereotypes shouldn't really be at issue here. People generally, in my opinion, deserve not to be stereotyped. They don't forfeit that based on their political opinions.
Agreed..
However actions speak louder than words.
If I claim to be anti-drugs but allow the neighbor kids to do it in my garage then make excuses for it???
Immigration. I am all for a legal controled immigration that serves the best interests of this country and the citizens. I also recognize that we have finite resourses. We are in economic trouble. We need to be thinking about our standards. For example for me to move to Thailand I need to have some serious cash in a bank there. This protects Thailand from me becoming a burdon on society. Its a smart approach. we should do the same.
As for deserving not to be stereotyped. Once again actions speak louder than words. You can't claim to be anti-illegal if you are pushing for rewarding illegals. if you are facilitating illegals, making excuses for illegals. If you don't like the stereo type then distance yourself from the cause. Someone and forgive me I can't recall who once said" behind every stereotype is a grain of truth"nIn my 48 years I have found this to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 10:54 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,214,995 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or they want the cheap submissive labor they came to know and love back in their home countries.

Often wealthy "hispanic" immigrants cannot fathom making their own beds or mowing their own lawns. They're used to being surrounded by submissive maids, lawn boys, shoe shine boys. The idea of paying legal wages to their servants seems just as absurd to them here in the USA as it was back home. They certainly can't picture hiring white Americans and black Americans aren't going to take the attitude of the upper class hispanic immigrants when it comes to being servants to them.

And many want the power that comes with being the "speakers" of the Spanish speaking who are unable to ever learn English, it makes them a very controllable group of followers, easy votes to control.

As far as the woman in the OP post, it sounds like she herself is the ethnocentric that has zero respect for American laws when it comes to the ethnicity she identifies herself with.
I wonder why these Hispanic advocates don't identify with the laws and the citizens of this country rather than illegal foreigners based on ethnicity, don't you? Misplaced loyalties IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top