U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 PM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Actually when in a non-english speaking country you have a choice. If you want to learn American English or British English. And there is a difference.

British English lol. Link some of these courses offering British or American English options please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2011, 05:21 AM
 
187 posts, read 151,783 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Actually when in a non-english speaking country you have a choice. If you want to learn American English or British English. And there is a difference.
Are you kidding me!!! of course there are regional differences in every language, english is spoken differently in Brooklyn than in manhattan, that doesn't make it a different language, however since the reality is that many people in the usa, mostly people that live in trailer communities, etc, are getting less educated, it has become necessary for the tv networks to put subtitles when people from england(our mother tongue country) are talking, I have also seen that pattern when native usa peolple of different regions talk, to me this is just incredible, no wonder people (mostly radicals) get furious when people speak other languages, OMG, where are we going.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 06:34 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,827 posts, read 4,647,268 times
Reputation: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
Marco is a smart person, and if he stays away from radical right wing ideology, he could get support from the spanish community. There is no language called american, it is called english....
Translation: if he becomes another Luis Gutierrez he will have support from the "spanish" community.

Marco Rubio is getting a lot of heat for not supporting amnesty...and where is that "heat" coming from? I can assure you it is not from White Americans...it is from those who have a Mexican, Central American, South American background...

Now is that the racial tone you are talking about?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Va. Beach
6,384 posts, read 4,228,471 times
Reputation: 2273
In all actuality, I don't see an antihispanic attitude, I see an Anti-Illegal Alien attitude, and in a lot of instances from a members of all backgrounds, even Hispanic!

My Mother's parents came over from Russia, LEGALLY, and worked hard to become American Citizens. Many people have family who have become American citizens Legally. Why cheapen their accomplishments, and allow this to happen.

Additionally, something to consider, if we simply ALLOW these people to stay here, are we not thumbing our noses at ourselves? We have LAWS for a reason. By allowing them to stay we are in fact telling them, we are not willing to enforce our own laws. So? Which law is next that we won't enforce, and what kind of a message is being sent by not enforcing our laws? Tell me, what other country in the WORLD would put up with all these illegal "immigrants"?

Here is what we need to do.
1. All schools kick out any child whose PARENTS are not legal residents.
2. Impose HUGE fines on employers who hire ANYONE not a legal resident.
3. Impose fines on anyone who rents or allows dwelling to anyone not a legal resident.
4. Immediately deport anyone not a legal resident.

Enforce the laws and do so unconditionally. THEN we can look at increasing the numbers of people allowed to immigrate here, and require EVERYONE to learn ENGLISH. No need anything in 2 languages, this is AMERICA, and we speak english. If I move to France, they will expect me to learn french, if I move to Holland, I am expected to learn Dutch, if I move to Bosnia, I will have to learn Bosnian, (Serbian, Croation, Montenegrin). People of ALL countries expect you to conform to their standards, why should we be different?

The bottom line is, before we do anything else, we need to enforce OUR laws.

Last edited by Darkatt; 08-04-2011 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 07:12 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Translation: if he becomes another Luis Gutierrez he will have support from the "spanish" community.

Marco Rubio is getting a lot of heat for not supporting amnesty...and where is that "heat" coming from? I can assure you it is not from White Americans...it is from those who have a Mexican, Central American, South American background...

Now is that the racial tone you are talking about?!
Excellent, truthful post! The ethnocentric pro-illegals consider any attempt to enforce our immigration laws as being a right wing radical agenda. You're also right, any Hispanic politician who doesn't tow the raza line will be vilified by them and considered a traitor to their ethnic group. They like to deny that they don't have an ethnocentric agenda but there are hundreds of posts in here that prove exactly that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
Are you kidding me!!! of course there are regional differences in every language, english is spoken differently in Brooklyn than in manhattan, that doesn't make it a different language, however since the reality is that many people in the usa, mostly people that live in trailer communities, etc, are getting less educated, it has become necessary for the tv networks to put subtitles when people from england(our mother tongue country) are talking, I have also seen that pattern when native usa peolple of different regions talk, to me this is just incredible, no wonder people (mostly radicals) get furious when people speak other languages, OMG, where are we going.....
YOu must be talkin bout illegal aliens from Mexico in trailers who aint educated. Anglos dont have many kids today, even poor anglos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 AM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,712,131 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
lolz
1923: Washington Jay McCormick tries to make American the official language of the nation.
1923: State Sen. Frank Ryan of Illinois proposes a bill to make American the official language of the state of Illinois.
1969: English replaces American as the official language of the State of Illinois.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 08-04-2011 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 AM
 
187 posts, read 151,783 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
In all actuality, I don't see an antihispanic attitude, I see an Anti-Illegal Alien attitude, and in a lot of instances from a members of all backgrounds, even Hispanic!

My Mother's parents came over from Russia, LEGALLY, and worked hard to become American Citizens. Many people have family who have become American citizens Legally. Why cheapen their accomplishments, and allow this to happen.

Additionally, something to consider, if we simply ALLOW these people to stay here, are we not thumbing our noses at ourselves? We have LAWS for a reason. By allowing them to stay we are in fact telling them, we are not willing to enforce our own laws. So? Which law is next that we won't enforce, and what kind of a message is being sent by not enforcing our laws? Tell me, what other country in the WORLD would put up with all these illegal "immigrants"?

Here is what we need to do.
1. All schools kick out any child whose PARENTS are not legal residents.
2. Impose HUGE fines on employers who hire ANYONE not a legal resident.
3. Impose fines on anyone who rents or allows dwelling to anyone not a legal resident.
4. Immediately deport anyone not a legal resident.

Enforce the laws and do so unconditionally. THEN we can look at increasing the numbers of people allowed to immigrate here, and require EVERYONE to learn ENGLISH. No need anything in 2 languages, this is AMERICA, and we speak english. If I move to France, they will expect me to learn french, if I move to Holland, I am expected to learn Dutch, if I move to Bosnia, I will have to learn Bosnian, (Serbian, Croation, Montenegrin). People of ALL countries expect you to conform to their standards, why should we be different?

The bottom line is, before we do anything else, we need to enforce OUR laws.

When it comes to immigration, the word "legally" is commonly a subterfuge, it is legality in an arbitrary way, why are our laws more "legal" than that of the native americans?, which we violated and in the process decimated their culture. I have seen waves of legally admitted refugees from bosnia, and other countries just sitting on their butts, producing nothing and collecting all kinds of welfare, immigrants from SOB come here to work and by far underutilize social services in the usa. When it comes to the spanish language, well should I again say that it has been part of the usa for much longer than english, many intolerants may be in denial, but the people that matter are very aware of this fact, and that's why signs are in dual language in any store or agency in the usa.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
1923: State Sen. Frank Ryan of Illinois proposes a bill to make American the official language of the state of Illinois.
And I suppose now we must digress into a discussion of whether or not I am a more informed person than the esteemed state Senator Frank Ryan, or whether his label of our language in 1923 had anything beyond ill-functioning nationalist rhetoric to support itself.

Or we could tangent this out, and talk about your apparent propensity for defending everyone you deem to be on your team, leading yesterday to you collapsing into a wave of nonsense, and today to you searching for historical examples of ignorance to prop up modern ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2011, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
When it comes to immigration, the word "legally" is commonly a subterfuge, it is legality in an arbitrary way, why are our laws more "legal" than that of the native americans?, which we violated and in the process decimated their culture. I have seen waves of legally admitted refugees from bosnia, and other countries just sitting on their butts, producing nothing and collecting all kinds of welfare, immigrants from SOB come here to work and by far underutilize social services in the usa. When it comes to the spanish language, well should I again say that it has been part of the usa for much longer than english, many intolerants may be in denial, but the people that matter are very aware of this fact, and that's why signs are in dual language in any store or agency in the usa.....
Please dont go there with the native American bit. The Hispanics treatd my mothers people, the Aztecs like crap. The Aztecs treatd other Indians like dirt before Cortez so people from Europe aint any worse.

Legal immigrants are cool. ILLEGAL aliens aint an need to go home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top