U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 12:58 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,711,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
...it IS untrue, dude. "American" does not exist as a language simply because some piece of legislation asserted as much. Allow me to petition my city council to make our official language "Rockmadican," which will have surprisingly large, potentially 100% overlap with - what is it again? "English?" And then I will tsk tsk whenever someone laughs at me for saying "THIS IS AMERICA AND WE SPEAK ROCKMADICAN." Those fools. They do not do their research.

If only this could be established, the question of whether or not that is what he was referencing - a dead law that spoke nothing to reality. If he was in fact, when saying "this America, and we speak American," actually referring to a law, dead for nearly a half century, that applied in Illinois, and simply misspoke as to the other 49 states. If it was a typo, we will never be privy to the truth. We are witnessing the sheer horror of the debate that is created when a single man, meaning to type "Illinois in 1968" accidentally types "America" when he mashes the keyboard with what can only be assumed to be his entire fist.

I mean, my GOD, the things we will go to the grave not knowing, they are heavy upon my soul.

Your intellectual honesty does nothing, because it is no thing. It is a ghost.
Whether you accept the fact that American was a recognized language (simply another name for the English Language that was used in the USA) and made the Official Language of the State of Illinois (1923 - 1969) is your own hang up. Calling it UNTRUE when it is presented and shown that it is in fact TRUE, is rather a remarkable magical act.

You can create your own language and call it what you wish, the city council can accept it or not, depends on how you could persuade them, although it would be more to the State, not the City Council.

Again you label people as "fools" simply because they hold a different perspective from you. Since you are not a "fool", then you must be the "most intelligent"? You get beat at your own game and you cry about my "intellectual honesty", excuse me while I go LMFAO!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 01:03 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,711,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I said.

FWIW, it doesn't matter what the purpose of the clause is. Even if the purpose is to protect political speech, it's not limited to political speech.

Yes, that's what I just said.
Actually, it does matter, the purpose of the clause, have you found a SCOTUS ruling on Constitutional Rights to speak any language in the USA yet? I doubt you will, as there are none.

Since you agree with me, then miss yauco should take notice, maybe she has since she hasn't been back, but only time will tell.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Whether you accept the fact that American was a recognized language (simply another name for the English Language that was used in the USA) and made the Official Language of the State of Illinois (1923 - 1969) is your own hang up. Calling it UNTRUE when it is presented and shown that it is in fact TRUE, is rather a remarkable magical act.
lol, I mean...no. It's not true that "American" is a language at all. At BEST you can say that it once was, but even then it was just a re-naming of "English" meant to **** off the Brits or something.

I'm just suuuure that's what the dude was referring to. He was clearly referencing the re-naming of English to "American" that briefly took place in Illinois. I mean, you can replace "American" in his comment with "English" and I'd still be loling, so I'm not sure it matters.

Quote:
Again you label people as "fools" simply because they hold a different perspective from you. Since you are not a "fool", then you must be the "most intelligent"? You get beat at your own game and you cry about my "intellectual honesty", excuse me while I go LMFAO!!
There are plenty of people who disagree with me who are not foolish. Plenty.

But I mean, you can go back and re-read the Donuts thread if before make claims about intellectual honesty. Go ahead. Go read that thread and throw me a PM explaining wtf you were talking about and why you felt the need to put words in c-nuts' mouth in order to defend her.

Or keep it here and explain how you think the following is some sort of intellectual victory for you:

1. dude says "This is America, we speak American"
2. everyone lolz
3. you explain that American IS in fact a language because in Illinois they briefly renamed English to be called American.
4. everyone lolz
5. you keep posting about something or other
6. more lolz, presumably

Old 08-04-2011, 01:19 PM

5,645 posts, read 3,972,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
As the illegal immigration debate heats up, an anti-hispanic tone has been strongly associated to it. Instead of keeping the argument about legal immigration many radicals curse the use of spanish, or spanish culture per se, as if illegal immigration and spanish culture are the same thing, the direct effect has been that the hispanic population has united more than ever before, in a common front against discrimination, and with hispanic-americans numbering over 50 million, the implicit is obvious, hispanic americans have the power to sway elections one way or the other, and since the gop has been so loud, they will pay the political price, with the added insult that hispanic-americans are the fastest growing ethnicity, and this change will have short and long term consequences....
As a Hispanic, I am extremely anti-illegal immigration and obviously I am not anti-Hispanic.

I'm also a conservative. Go figure.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:41 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Pipe dream.

We aren't going to deport millions of illegals, nor are we going to kick their children out of schools. That's not even realistic, not to mention that it's a bad idea anyway.

The corporate masters want them here, which is why they were invited here. That invitation isn't going to be rescinded. Hell, if anything it's going to be expanded. The only way to fix the problem is to punish the inviters, not the invitees. We don't want to punish the inviters cuz you know...they are the nice guys who are "job creators" () and we shouldn't punish success. Besides, shouldn't they have a right to hire cheap labor and depress American wages? After all, us Americans don't deserve these wages and work rights. After all, we might mess up and join a union! (Aaaaahhhhrrrrggggg)
Try again. With unemployment GONE for many Americans, illegals will be tossed out real soon. Or there WILL be trouble. Hungry people dont care an will fight to protect whats theres.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:53 PM

1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Quote:
Actually, it does matter, the purpose of the clause, have you found a SCOTUS ruling on Constitutional Rights to speak any language in the USA yet? I doubt you will, as there are none.
So?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM

47,316 posts, read 24,619,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Try again. With unemployment GONE for many Americans, illegals will be tossed out real soon. Or there WILL be trouble. Hungry people dont care an will fight to protect whats theres.
Yea, ok. We'll see. Don't hold your breath waiting on those deportation orders cuz they aint coming.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM

1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Quote:
Wait, what is "theres" in this case that they're going to fight to protect?

Old 08-04-2011, 05:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Quote:
Many Chicanos prefer to help out illegal aliens. Other Chicanos like me DONT want illegal aliens here.

Things ARE gonna get worse im afraid. Illegal aliens going HOME will help cool things down here in the USA.

Speak English, NOT Spanish.
There is no official language in the US. What is happening with first generation immigrants, legal or not, is the same as what happened with any large group of immigrants. First generation immigrants are going to associate the most with their original languages and cultures. Later generations gradually adapt more and more into the adopted country. Honestly, you're a conundrum. I don't really understand people who have an issue with their background, and more I don't understand people who have such narrow views of people that they malign them only into terms of negatives. Put them together and it's a real wtf. Reduce the amount of illegal immigration? Sure. Treating them as anything but people with as many flaws as qualities is just the realm of the ignorant.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:38 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
You probably don't know many spaniards, I am Spanish and identify with the rest of spanish speaking people from the americas, all the compatriots that I know also feel the same way, our language is like a priced possesion, there are many differences among hispanic( hispanic comes from spanish ) but our common denominator is spanish and it unites us....
WELL i have a bit of Spanish bloodf in myself, but i consider myself mostly Italain, like it better sorry. The thing is i was born and raised in the good old USA, and consider myself American, of different nationalities. American first, and i owe my Nationalities not a thing. My ancestors yes.

And i myself identify with Italians more, like the language better, and sorry the Italians. First and foremost i do not identify myself with Spanish or Italian speaking people, i identify with people who are PROUD TO BE AMERICANS.

My commond denominator is English speaking people, and no one who trys and sugar coat this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration