U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-05-2011, 03:41 AM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Reputation: 6451

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
My first language is Portuguese and I did not know English until I was about 15 years old. It took me less than 4 months to learn it and I speak it fluently. I was born here much lived abroad for much of my childhood.

Yes they don't learn it because they do not want to. I stand by what I said.

My dad and my grandparents did everything right and I came from a family of people who have morals and no, they would have never come here illegally. Not everyone in this world thinks they are above the laws of this country like those who are here illegally...believe it or not.

I'm with you friend, you know that and how i feel. People have a hard time believing that back in the day, when people wanted to come to this Country for a better way of life they meant it. And they had no intentions of doing it illegally as mine and KickAssArmyChick, our ancestors came to this Country legally. And yes learned the English language by the way and in the home only spoke English to the children. They spoke Italian still, but in front of the children now in school, only English until the children got older. Appears some seem to be grasping at straws, when they have nothing else. How can those who jump our fences come here illegally, break our laws, be moral?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2011, 06:23 AM
 
187 posts, read 151,734 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Try again. With unemployment GONE for many Americans, illegals will be tossed out real soon. Or there WILL be trouble. Hungry people dont care an will fight to protect whats theres.
You hear this argument over, and over, but despite the fact that our economy has been in the tank for several years, and that by now is clear that we are not going to be the economic empire of the world anymore, locals are still reluctant to step up to the plate and do the hard work that is still available, that's the reason millions of illegals are still doing it, the argument of pride that "we americans" will not do jobs for low wages is no longer valid, all over the usa salaries and benefits are being sliced, I do not support illegal immigration, but if big sectors of our agricultural industry are at risk to collapse due to lack of able hands, hell I have no problems with this workers doing it.
As our economic crisis deepens, millions of unemployed americans are busy trying to get freebies out there (unemploymebt, disabilty, workers comp, etc) and we know it, we should probably send these bums to mexico in retaliation for the millios of illegal workers that we currently embrace...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 06:54 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Thank You for your participation here, I want to ´rep´ you for just about everything you post...

From the topic title of the ¨racial tone¨, I had a PM sent to me by another member today that wants to analyze me by what race they think I am. When promptly corrected, I received a follow-up (my response enclosed) that still had that mistaken racial classification applied to me. I´ve told them to not contact me again by PM.

I´m sure enough of who I am, if that doesn´t fit into their view, it is their problem to resolve...

EDIT: Apparently ¨never¨ is not definitive enough about contacting me...
And as I told you this isn't about race, it is about culture, so let's be honest here. There are hispanic-whites and non-hispanic whites which means both groups are at least partially white "genetically" but they are culturally different. One of those cultural diffences is their native languages. Political views, native foods, etc. are just some of the other factors that define the different cultures. Learn to know the difference rather than spinning other's words and making this about race. Why anyone would be sensitive and irate over facts is beyond me.

Here is a real simple way to explain it. My ancestors were Polish and Irish, one can't be serious that their cultures were the same as the Spanish. Sure all three groups are usually genetically white but totally different cultures and languages. I can't put is any simpler than that.

I can understand a non-hispanic marrying a hispanic and adopting some of their spouse's cultural practices but not complete transformations in thought and views.

Last edited by chicagonut; 08-05-2011 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The US produces more than enough food for every single resident, not to mention how much it exports each year to other nations. No one has to go hungry in America. Obesity rates alone show that much, so spare the dramatics. The problem is distribution, not supply.

Also, I don't know if you're aware of this, but we went into the most severe recession since the Great Depression. Millions of people are out of work (I was unemployed for months and no illegal took my job), even though we supposedly are no longer in it. The economy still blows. And what you are describing is not really the fault of the illegal, but the company. If anything, the illegal is getting screwed in that they are being abused by these corporations that are raking in larger profits on their backs. The illegals get paid very low wages with likely zero benefits like health insurance. And sorry, but if your friends are competing for those types of jobs, perhaps they need to think about going back to school.
NO reason why Americans in the USA have to fight ILLEGAL aliens for jobs. Not everyone is able to go to college. I aint college material. I work with my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
You hear this argument over, and over, but despite the fact that our economy has been in the tank for several years, and that by now is clear that we are not going to be the economic empire of the world anymore, locals are still reluctant to step up to the plate and do the hard work that is still available, that's the reason millions of illegals are still doing it, the argument of pride that "we americans" will not do jobs for low wages is no longer valid, all over the usa salaries and benefits are being sliced, I do not support illegal immigration, but if big sectors of our agricultural industry are at risk to collapse due to lack of able hands, hell I have no problems with this workers doing it.
As our economic crisis deepens, millions of unemployed americans are busy trying to get freebies out there (unemploymebt, disabilty, workers comp, etc) and we know it, we should probably send these bums to mexico in retaliation for the millios of illegal workers that we currently embrace...
Tell THAT to my jobless friends. Theyll call you a few bad words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
English happens to be one of the easiest languages in the world
Whoa. No. English is one of the harder common languages in the world to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,765 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
My first language is Portuguese and I did not know English until I was about 15 years old. It took me less than 4 months to learn it and I speak it fluently. I was born here much lived abroad for much of my childhood.

Yes they don't learn it because they do not want to. I stand by what I said.

My dad and my grandparents did everything right and I came from a family of people who have morals and no, they would have never come here illegally. Not everyone in this world thinks they are above the laws of this country like those who are here illegally...believe it or not.
You paint a rosy picture, but I suspect that it's not entirely honest. Since you were born in the US, you were already a citizen. It was easy for you to come back. And because you were born here, your parents were at least able to visit/live here for some time, so I wonder just how difficult it really was to immigrate. I also don't think you spoke fluent English in 4 months. If so, you must be some prodigy of languages, because for 99.99% of people, it takes much longer than that to gain fluency. I'm curious just what your dad and grandparents had to do specifically to come to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,765 posts, read 12,744,983 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
NO reason why Americans in the USA have to fight ILLEGAL aliens for jobs. Not everyone is able to go to college. I aint college material. I work with my hands.
So wait, you refuse to go to school in order to improve your chances and options for employment, but it's the fault of illegals that you don't have enough job prospects and you can only fight for menial, low-paying jobs that offer no benefits? Talk about a sense of entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 AM
 
187 posts, read 151,734 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And as I told you this isn't about race, it is about culture, so let's be honest here. There are hispanic-whites and non-hispanic whites which means both groups are at least partially white "genetically" but they are culturally different. One of those cultural diffences is their native languages. Political views, native foods, etc. are just some of the other factors that define the different cultures. Learn to know the difference rather than spinning other's words and making this about race. Why anyone would be sensitive and irate over facts is beyond me.

Here is a real simple way to explain it. My ancestors were Polish and Irish, one can't be serious that their cultures were the same as the Spanish. Sure all three groups are usually genetically white but totally different cultures and languages. I can't put is any simpler than that.

I can understand a non-hispanic marrying a hispanic and adopting some of their spouse's cultural practices but not complete transformations in thought and views.
I have to give it to you mr/ms ch'nut, I've read many of your posts, but this the only one that I totally agree with, finally some voice of reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Whoa. No. English is one of the harder common languages in the world to learn.
Agreed, with Spanish identified as one of the easiest (words being spelled exactly as they sound, letter sounds that do not change)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top