U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 PM

1,574 posts, read 788,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Because THEY are our fellow Americans. They belong to this country, like it or not. Or where would you have them go?

Why bring in truckloads of needy foreigners when so many Americans are going without?

Why do you despise the American people so that you want their jobs exported or cheap laboreres imported to replace them?
I'm not telling "them" to go anywhere.

I'm not advocating "bringing in truckloads" of people.

I don't despise the American people. I just don't think they're better than other human beings by virtue of being born on a particular side of an imaginary line.

The pattern of you constantly and purposefully misrepresenting other people's posts pretty much speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 02:02 PM

335 posts, read 280,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I don't despise the American people. I just don't think they're better than other human beings by virtue of being born on a particular side of an imaginary line.
Wars have been fought over where to place "imaginary lines" between countries. Most countries today have military troops or border patrol agents securing the "imaginary lines" between their country and neighboring countries. So these "imaginary lines" seem to be pretty important, at least to most people.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:05 PM

1,574 posts, read 788,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
Wars have been fought over where to place "imaginary lines" between countries. Most countries today have military troops or border patrol agents securing the "imaginary lines" between their country and neighboring countries. So these "imaginary lines" seem to be pretty important, at least to most people.
Yes, so? They're still imaginary and don't make people born on one side magically superior to those born on the other side. Lots of people believed the sun revolved around the earth, that the world was flat, and all sorts of other ridiculous stuff that we laugh at now, too.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:54 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
I'm not telling "them" to go anywhere.

I'm not advocating "bringing in truckloads" of people.

The pattern of you constantly and purposefully misrepresenting other people's posts pretty much speaks for itself.
Imaginary line? Well if so it's a ONE-WAY imaginary line because Americans cannot go into Mexico and take whatever job they please, nor can we buy up land, build businesses without permission and so on. And try showing up in a Mexican hospital and tell them you expect to receive no bill or make no payment.

And Mexico ironically does have immigration laws.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:19 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Quote:
No --- that's exactly what it is. Some of us see our fellow Americans as "our people" and not some 20th cousin in some other country who we have no bond with whatsoever except some "ethnic" bond.
The fact that this, in your eyes, needs no further justification, is literally - literally in the literal sense of the term literally - both the result and the promulgation of the most damaging human instincts that the world has ever known.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,529 times
Quote:
I agree, they shouldn't have to compete with illegal immigrants. Immigration should be much easier so that those immigrants would be legal.
Those people need to get in line. NO cuttin in front of people who do things right. If that makes some amnesty people mad, they can deal with it. The USA will decide whose let in, NOT a bunch of illegal aliens.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:58 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
It's far from racist to care more about your unemployed fellow American and want jobs for them over the people of the nation some long ago ancestor arrived from.

That's why you don't see whites or blacks out rioting in the streets demanding unlimited immigration from Europe or Africa. They don't have that La Raza attitude that certain ethnicities are above the laws just because they may be of those ethnicities.
Amen!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
It´s less of an ¨ancestor worship¨ than the flawed perspective I´ve seen here fully glorifying ancestors over reality. I find my study of ancestry (where I also participate in the ¨Genealogy¨ subforum on City-Data) fascinating for the humanness of those that came before me. The contribution to my identity is realizing that all of those backgrounds are combined to make me who I am.

I´m comfortable within my skin and self-awareness. Whether that makes others uncomfortable is not my concern. We each have our own paths to take.
Nothing wrong with being proud of one's roots as long as they are American first. It is odd to me however that any American could stop identifying with their own country though and start to identify with another country and its citizens instead.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Imaginary line? Well if so it's a ONE-WAY imaginary line because Americans cannot go into Mexico and take whatever job they please, nor can we buy up land, build businesses without permission and so on. And try showing up in a Mexican hospital and tell them you expect to receive no bill or make no payment.

And Mexico ironically does have immigration laws.
I'd like to know by what bizarre thinking that one could state that Americans claiming their rights as citizens in this country above illegal foreigners somehow equates to having a superior attitude.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:27 PM

187 posts, read 151,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Nothing wrong with being proud of one's roots as long as they are American first. It is odd to me however that any American could stop identifying with their own country though and start to identify with another country and its citizens instead.
So if your family roots are not american, you can not be proud of them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration