U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-07-2011, 12:31 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,252,263 times
Reputation: 11578

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
So if your family roots are not american, you can not be proud of them...
What he's saying is it's silly to be obsessed about your ancestors' country(ies) of origin especially when you yourself are not connected to that country.

Like my example, it's stupid for me to call myself a Spaniard when I haven't been a Spaniard for more than 170 years as opposed to you, someone who was born in Spain and IS a Spaniard by ancestry.

I've talked to a few Irish people before and they have this same problem with Irish-Americans as well who call themselves Irish and have the Irish flag. They're not Irish, they are American. My British girlfriend also says the same thing. It's stupid for Americans to call themselves a Brit, Mexican, or Italian when they are American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2011, 02:47 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,075 posts, read 1,782,229 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Quit the whining.

It's a race issue.... Yeah! Apparently to people like Luis Gutierrez since he is the biggest illegal supporter out there...but wait, I have yet to see him talk about helping the poor Chinese who came here illegally just because they wanted a better life....

A lot of Hispanic Americans put their background above our Federal Laws. It's all about helping their fellow countrymen who are here illegally. A while ago I found a video on youtube about a handful of legal immigrants from Mexico who are fed up with illegal immigration and they were getting death threats from the people who commented on the video. A lot of the comments were about them being traitors and turning their backs to their "people".

What do you say to that?

Illegals and illegal supporters are some of the most racist people I have ever come across...

And have you stop to think that maybe, just maybe we are so fed up with being told we need to learn Spanish to cater to those who refuse to assimilate, and to pay for children to be taught English in schools because their parents from Mexico, Guatemala etc never taught them English because they have been here for 10 years and can't even speak it themselves? And that they basically want to colonize this country all over again? Have their "race" take over?

If the Chinese were doing the exact same thing, if the Chinese made up 80% of the illegal alien population in this country, do you think Latinos would still be the target?

The problem with Mexicans and those folks from Central and South America (legal and illegal) is that they are first ones to run their mouths when a law targeting illegal immigration is passed. They march on the streets showing their pride, waving their flags in our faces demanding that we give them more and more and more. And give them the same benefits that citizens and legal residents are given.

If Latinos weren't demanding such things, if they were assimilating and didn't have a sense of entitlement the picture would be different.

So wah wah wah. They brought that upon themselves and they are the only ones to blame for what you call a "racial tone".
Hey, you said it all. I have got to rep. that. Great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 07:39 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,189,169 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And I'd like to add, that it's quite silly openly advertising where your family came from. Difference in being ashamed of your heritage, and obsessing over it when you were born here. It's like me obsessing over my German heritage even though it's only 1/4 of me and 2 generations ago or obsessing over my Spanish heritage even though it's almost 3/4 of me and at least 5 generations ago
Good points. When the "obsessing" over one's heritage or one's ancestor's homeland includes advocating for the people of that country or ethnic group here illegally in our country then you have crossed the line of just plain old pride.

Last edited by chicagonut; 08-07-2011 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 793,060 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Good points. When the "obsessing" over one's heritage or one's ancestor's homeland includes advocating for the people of that country or ethnic group here illegally in our country then you have crossed the line of just plain old pride.
But constantly squawking about the absolute necessity of maintaining a "majority white culture", that's safely on the "good" side of that line, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 10:40 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,949,633 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Who said anything about obsessing over it? But here in the US we have all sorts of events that celebrate heritage... Black History Month, St. Patrick's Day, etc. That never seems to be an issue and doesn't make those people less American simply because they can appreciate and be proud of where their ancestors came from.
Well for one black Americans are part of the USA and have been since Day one, there is no comparison between them and immigrant Raza groups. None.

In fact Black History Month is an American kind of celebration, it's about America.

As far as St. Patricks day and Polanski day, those are one day events. Not quite the same thing as demanding everything including your food stamps be offered to you in the native language of the country you so blissfully fled.

What's up with all this "raza" pride? The American thing is it's not all that important where one came from, it's where as a people we are going. Seriously you people seem very hung up on ethnicity. So much that you want unlimited immigration for certain ethnic groups, or believe that because of ethnicity, one is not expected to abide by the laws.

Yet you aren't doing the same for your raza countries, when will you demand they open up their own borders and allow in every kind of people who wants to come or at least unlimited numbers of Americans? Black and white Americans, and provide everything in English to promote them coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 PM
 
951 posts, read 618,471 times
Reputation: 89
But we've proven time and again it isn't just the illegality that's the issue. Look at any of chi-nut's posts hating certain foreigners (legal) or crying about preserving a white majority for glaring examples. If you don't see it, well then lol. I mean, half the things people complain about aren't about the legality/illegality of these people at all. It's how they are a scourge (cr. Benicar), parasites(cr. Benicar). Or how they are all uneducated yet you guys complain about educating U.S. citizens who will be productive members of society! The list goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 06:06 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,397,164 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
But we've proven time and again it isn't just the illegality that's the issue. Look at any of chi-nut's posts hating certain foreigners (legal) or crying about preserving a white majority for glaring examples. If you don't see it, well then lol. I mean, half the things people complain about aren't about the legality/illegality of these people at all. It's how they are a scourge (cr. Benicar), parasites(cr. Benicar). Or how they are all uneducated yet you guys complain about educating U.S. citizens who will be productive members of society! The list goes on.
Illegals are a pain the rear.

Let's be clear what they are: they are low largely low skilled high school drop outs from Mexico and South and Central America. They are not net contributors to their societies or to ours. That is simply the truth. If they want an education or a job let them stay home and get it there.

The American taxpayer is neither legally nor morally responsible for the economic needs or desires of low skilled, non-English speakers from Latin America. Crying racism whenever someone points that out will not make that statement any less true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 06:18 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,189,169 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Illegals are a pain the rear.

Let's be clear what they are: they are low largely low skilled high school drop outs from Mexico and South and Central America. They are not net contributors to their societies or to ours. That is simply the truth. If they want an education or a job let them stay home and get it there.

The American taxpayer is neither legally nor morally responsible for the economic needs or desires of low skilled, non-English speakers from Latin America. Crying racism whenever someone points that out will not make that statement any less true.
Let's clear up the lies by "huddled" and other pro-illegals in here yet again about me. I have NEVER said that I hated any ethnic group (lie #1). I have only said that our country should not lose its demographic makeup, culture and language via ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION (lie#2). It is not a natural change. In fact that is racist in itself.

I do detest illegal alien advocates regardless of their ethnicity. There are some white Americans in here that are advocates for illegal aliens and I hold them with just as much contempt as any hispanic advocates.

It really ticks me off when people lie in here when one's actual words are right here for everyone to read.

Again, they are hypocrites because if Mexico were illegally invaded by millions of Chinese for example and therefore became known as an Asian nation culturally rather than hispanic and Mandarin became their national language instead of Spanish they would have a hissy fit. I would appreciate it if these pro-illegals would stop twisting my words. Next one that does that will be reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
 
951 posts, read 618,471 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Let's clear up the lies by "huddled" and other pro-illegals in here yet again about me. I have NEVER said that I hated any ethnic group (lie #1). I have only said that our country should not lose its demographic makeup, culture and language via ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION (lie#2). It is not a natural change. In fact that is racist in itself.
Funny because Cubans are here legally, yet you show the same disdain for them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The Cubans have managed to turn Miami and other Florida cities into little Havana. I am tired of foreigners changing our country to look like the country that they left.
Yeah, you can give up the ruse now and just admit you really hate these people coming here, all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again, they are hypocrites because if Mexico were illegally invaded by millions of Chinese for example and therefore became known as an Asian nation culturally rather than hispanic and Mandarin became their national language instead of Spanish they would have a hissy fit. I would appreciate it if these pro-illegals would stop twisting my words. Next one that does that will be reported.
Do you have evidence that Mexicans don't want Chinese there or is this chi-nut fantasy land speak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,949,633 times
Reputation: 22174
I think we can all be impressed when the open borders people will demand TWO-way open borders and demand a little more diversity in their own countries. If they really believe in bilingual nations, then they have some other nations to the south they can get to work on, have them provide all government services in English. And let's hear them demand that any American (white, black, and other) be allowed to enter Mexico or any Latin American country and have the right to vote, attend schools, seek free health care and that no immigration laws should apply to Americans. Americans should have the right to buy up lands, including coastal and border lands.

Let freedom ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top