U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 06:52 AM

1,574 posts, read 788,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
you will need one for the PoE now to get back into the United States
Minor nitpick, but I'm pretty sure this isn't true. Legally, the US must allow US citizens to re-enter the US, regardless of whether they have a passport or not, right?

They might make it really, really unpleasant and time consuming (and I'm sure they will) but they can't just keep you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,096,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Minor nitpick, but I'm pretty sure this isn't true. Legally, the US must allow US citizens to re-enter the US, regardless of whether they have a passport or not, right?

They might make it really, really unpleasant and time consuming (and I'm sure they will) but they can't just keep you out.
They can and can detain you.
Try it some day

Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post

My last entry without a passport was just a few days before the policy went into effect (it has been in place over two years). I was traveling close to the border and decided to turn in my expiring FMT. The CBP officer had me do a verbal declaration of U.S. citizenship to come through the Santa Teresa PoE.

An inspector can refuse entry to anyone but a U.S. citizen (the so-called "9/11 20th Hijacker" was not allowed through a PoE from Canada despite having a valid visa, because the inspector had a feeling something was wrong). Also witness the returning U.S. citizen with tuberculous (also entering from Canada) that couldn't be refused entry, and was detained medically after crossing. Under the current rules, no U.S. passport can mean you are refused entry.

It would be at the inspector's discretion...

Old 08-15-2011, 05:08 PM

187 posts, read 151,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hispanic doesn't really denote ethnicity or even race. One can be black and be Hispanic (see baseball if you don't believe me). One can be Jewish and be Hispanic. There are Asian Hispanics. Domincans and Peruvians are both Hispanic, and aren't the same ethnically for the most part.

At the end of the day i don't care, i'm just being factual. Hispanic means being Hispanicized....and no one is more Hispanicized than an actual Spaniard. I mean...come on. It's just common sense.

This stuff is all about the "we don't wanna be lumped in with them" syndrome.
People are individuals, they do not think or behave in "lumps", another post here from an anglo guy states that he tries to behave as far from a red neck as possible, so that he is not lumped in that group, and I agree, actions is what makes you what you truly are.....

Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,992,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
You probably don't know many spaniards, I am Spanish and identify with the rest of spanish speaking people from the americas, all the compatriots that I know also feel the same way, our language is like a priced possesion, there are many differences among hispanic( hispanic comes from spanish ) but our common denominator is spanish and it unites us....
There are indians throughout Latin America who speak no Spanish and have no desire to learn it.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:00 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
One thing my fellow spaniards are proud of, is the spread of spanish culture, all over the world, but mostly in the americas, hispanics of all the spanish colonies converge peacefully in spain, there have been issues with specific individuals from abroad that cause problems as you would expect, but xenophobia as you imply, is just not true. Spain is a magnet for people from all over the world that seek a really nice place to live and enjoy life, while devoid of the racial tensions and violence of places like the usa...

Give. Me. A. Break!

Gypsies and Morroccans might have a different perspective. Oh yeah, the Basque also are a source of "ethnic tension" aren't they? And let's not forget Catalan separatists.Black sportsmen and formula one racers being heckled, confronted with crowds painted in blackface, called monkey, etc.

Racism in Spain Continues to Rear Its Ugly Head - BV on Sports

Not to mention the entire Latin American colorism hierarchy directly attributed to Spanish colonial rule, where the lighter you are, the better -- a place where there is/was a complex system in place that classified everyone based on their particular mixture.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:10 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Most of the illegals here are not pure Spaniards anyway. Most of them are Mestizo Mexicans.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:34 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,549,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
LOL. Yes clearly they are so different. Maybe you should inform those farmers of the scourge. I mean, they are trying to make it easier for people who would enter illegally to get here in a legal manner so they do not have to pay coyotes, commit ID fraud, etc. I'm pretty sure this is because they also believe those would be illegals are hard workers and they probably don't want to get in trouble. Don't they know it's the scourge?!?! Herp a derp.
Illegals working farms are a small segment of the illegal population. Just how many states are there where farming is a major source? I get the need for farmers hiring illegals - especially when they need to export produce to make money!!!! Farmers also receive subsidies from government.

There are no farms in New York City and the 5 boroughs. But my guess is that if the pizza stores didn't hire illegals to make pizza, there would be very little pizza to be had in New York. Grocery store shelves wouldn't be stocked if the owners couldn't hire illegals. Small business wouldn't be able to make deliveries due to lack of illegals working for them. Forget about having your food order delivered - you would have to cook it yourself or go get the food yourself!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:41 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,549,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
There are indians throughout Latin America who speak no Spanish and have no desire to learn it.
I just noticed that you are responding to a post from July 2011!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 AM

187 posts, read 151,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
you are right, less than 0.1% of the population, just like in usa and canada......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration