U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 5,591,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I am more american than apple pie, born a US Citizen, of spanish ancestry, proficient in 6 languages, I love the usa, and all the people that I befriend,
as a highly respected us citizen I state that I, like everyone else, have witnessed the high degree of racisim in our society, I have witnessed white anglos making cruel remarks about african americans, and sometimes asians or hispanics. Since my skin color is white they think I put up with this crap. On several occasions, I have scolded these idiots for making such remarks, then they become "deeply apologetic", our neigborhoods are segregated, our churches are segregated, and as long as there is a viable GOP in this country, things are not going to change drastically.......
The saying goes: "I'm as American AS apple pie."

Don't dislocate your shoulder while patting yourself on the back. Because of cross-culture marriages amongst Americans and legal immigrants many children grow up bi-ligual, and if each parent came from a different background, the child grows up tri-lingual. Many Americans who have parents or grandparents that immigrated to the US are bi-lingual. I know Italians who never lived in Italy whose grandparents migrated to the US and they speak fluent Italian. The same with Chinese. What they all have in common is that generally the foreign language is spoken in the home or amongst themselves.

As for your claim of being highly respected - well respect is subjective. A gangbanger gets high respect from his gang members for a drive by shooting.

As for racism, I think you have clearly demonstrated your level of racism towards white people.

And as I pointed out earlier, and as someone else has: who uses the word "anglo" when referring to white people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 04:18 AM

1,150 posts, read 995,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The point is:
If the hispanic community doesnt like to be tagged as supporters of illegals perhaps they shoild be a bit more vocal in regards to being anti-illegal.
At least stop heading groups which advocate for Hispanic illegal aliens only.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Uhmmm, I see, a lot to do with proportions ain't it. We keep going back to spinning the issues, I think it is all a cause and effect situation, as the
spanish-americans get non-sense from the radical right, the spanish-americans retaliate by using their powerful weapon, the vote.....
Why do you keep referring to them as Spanish-American? Very few are Spanish. They're mostly Mexican, with a smaller number of Central and South Americans.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
When you drive through a dirty neighborhood here in Houston that is majority Asian with Asian language newspapers, Asian spoken everywhere, clerks that don't speak English and street signs in Asian languages, it is seen by many as "quaint".

When you drive through a similar neighborhood and switch out the Asians with Hispanics, quaint is often times replaced with all sorts of negative adjectives by the very same people who have no problem whatsoever with driving over to Chinatown and grabbing some food.

So, in other words you make excuses for illegals you perceive to be more desirable. Many supposed "anti-illegal" folks do.
Olvera Street in LA has always been popular.

The difference between the Hispanics, and other ethnic groups is others aren't demanding special economic priveleges for attending college, others aren't on welfare in the numbers Hispanics are, or taking jobs from citizens, and legal residents. Others don't march in the street trashing the American flag the way Hispanics do, and when is the last time you were prompted to press 1 for Chinese, German, French, Japanes, or Russian when making a phone call?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
I was born in Spain of spanish mother and american father, moved to Puert Rico in infancy, then to the mainland usa, and I see we have very different views. The Dominicans in Puerto Rico work hard and deserve their place in society, unemployment and poverty are not unique of certain places, it is all over the united states now, it sounds you are not very proud of your heritage, well, that's not good for you because you will always feel inferior, most of the Puerto Ricans I know are highly educated, and proud, if you are puertorrican you must have noticed the nationalistic pride of most puertorricans, in fact puertorricans were voted last year as the happiest people on the planet, that's a misconception by anglos, every city in the usa where there is a large number of spanish-americans
they tend to be happy, while so many anglos are consumed by their hate....
That's where you're wrong. Americans are very proud of their heritage. What we don't like is millions of illegal aliens who have no intention of assimilating, or becoming Americans, but are trying to replace our culture with theirs. If millions of Germans entered Puerto Rico illegally, refused to speak Spanish, established large areas where the native population wasn't welcome, where taxpayers had to support them with welfare, and refused to speak Spanish, but demanded others speak German, would you be so happy with illegal immigration? Would you be a 'racist' for objecting?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 AM

20,611 posts, read 12,396,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
The saying goes: "I'm as American AS apple pie."

Don't dislocate your shoulder while patting yourself on the back. Because of cross-culture marriages amongst Americans and legal immigrants many children grow up bi-ligual, and if each parent came from a different background, the child grows up tri-lingual. Many Americans who have parents or grandparents that immigrated to the US are bi-lingual. I know Italians who never lived in Italy whose grandparents migrated to the US and they speak fluent Italian. The same with Chinese. What they all have in common is that generally the foreign language is spoken in the home or amongst themselves.

As for your claim of being highly respected - well respect is subjective. A gangbanger gets high respect from his gang members for a drive by shooting.

As for racism, I think you have clearly demonstrated your level of racism towards white people.

And as I pointed out earlier, and as someone else has: who uses the word "anglo" when referring to white people?
In Arizona: an "anglo" means any white person who isn't Hispanic. I'm mostly Irish but am counted as anglo.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,201,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
That's where you're wrong. Americans are very proud of their heritage. What we don't like is millions of illegal aliens who have no intention of assimilating, or becoming Americans, but are trying to replace our culture with theirs. If millions of Germans entered Puerto Rico illegally, refused to speak Spanish, established large areas where the native population wasn't welcome, where taxpayers had to support them with welfare, and refused to speak Spanish, but demanded others speak German, would you be so happy with illegal immigration? Would you be a 'racist' for objecting?
Hmm, the person you are replying to claimed in one post they were born in the U.S. and now they are claiming they were born in Spain? Tripped themself up, didn't they?

I am proud of being an American. I am from Polish/Irish roots and I am neither proud nor ashamed of that it just doesn't play a big role in my life. I was born here. I am an American period and my language is English. Even if I hadn't been born here and had migrated here instead I would become fully Americanized and speak English. Why move here if you don't want to become a part of our culture and society? Other then ethnic business neighborhoods which are fine with me it is distubing to find tons of residential neighborhoods that resemble another country and that is what is happening with uncontrolled illegal immigration and too much legal immigration. We are slowly becoming balkinized and colonized with non-assimilation by "immigrants".

Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
In Arizona: an "anglo" means any white person who isn't Hispanic. I'm mostly Irish but am counted as anglo.
Exactly who counts you as "anglo"? When filling out forms where race is asked, is there a box for "Anglo"? I guess Hispanics, in particular in Arizona, use the word anglo, which would be slang for white, which FYI, is actually derogatory. It would be no different than identifying an Hispanic as a "sp*c".

When the poster uses it in the context of slang and referring to "anglo-white" Americans, it translates into white-white. If she were using it in the true sense, the proper sense would be anglo-saxon, where in the US would refer to people of English (British) ancestry. It is a term no longer used and goes back to referring to people as WASPs (White Anglo Saxon Protestants) which term bascially ceased to be used after WWII.

Last edited by softblueyz; 02-17-2012 at 08:05 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 07:59 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,201,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Exactly who counts you as "anglo"? When filling out forms where race is asked, is there a box for "Anglo"? I guess Hispanics, in particular in Arizona, use the word anglo, which would be slang for white, which FYI, is actually derogatory.

When the poster uses it in the context of slang and referring to "anglo-white" Americans, it translates into white-white. If she were using it in the true sense, the proper sense would be anglo-saxon, where in the US would refer to people of English (British) ancestry. It is a term no longer used and goes back to referring to people as WASPs (White Anglo Saxon Protestants) which term bascially ceased to be used after WWII.
I am a non-hispanic white person when it come to describing my ethnic background/race. I prefer to be called a plain old American by nationality. I don't like hypens.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I am a non-hispanic white person when it come to describing my ethnic background/race. I prefer to be called a plain old American by nationality. I don't like hypens.
I am an American, as evidenced by the fact that I am a US citizen. The only way I can describe my ethnicity is Heinz 57 (so much cross culturing in my family!!!). As for my race, I am white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration