U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 PM
 
Location: California
2,477 posts, read 1,714,336 times
Reputation: 299

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
it would be right, but, that's the other extreme.......
"would be right" is far from "being right"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Mexifornia
913 posts, read 737,157 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
If you read many of the posts here, it's not that hard to see the connection between the anti-immigrant movement and barely concealed racism.

Immigration needs a LOT of reform, but most of the reasoning behind it is less than disgusting.
I think the subforum you're looking for is here http://www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/

This is the ILLEGAL immigration subforum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetic3 View Post
Look a little further down...

******************
The IADB survey also shows that 47 percent of Latin American adult immigrants residing in Texas regularly send money home, compared with 63 percent in California and 77 percent in New York. These differences probably result from the composition of the Latino immigrant population in each state. In Texas, foreign-born Latinos are more likely to be young, unmarried workers from Mexico. They're also more likely to be from Mexican border states and carry money home on return visits—a form of transfer not recorded as remittances in the survey.
*******************

So 63% of the Latin American immigrants in CA Send money home. 27.2% of the CA population is foreign born. So 17.1% Send money home. Let us presume that all the 6.8% illegals do...That still leaves 10.3% of the California population which is legal immigrant to send money home. The legals will have much larger incomes and should at least equal the payments of the illegals. So roughly 50% more from the legals as the illegals. The outcome is sufficiently one sided that any errors will be lost in the noise.

I really can't imagine why you cannot find the CIS numbers...but here is the paragraph from CIS.

*************************
Tax Compliance. While illegal aliens are assumed to pay their share of non-payroll taxes, payroll taxes collected by employers or income and other taxes paid by the self employed are a different matter. There is some research to indicate that only about half of illegal aliens are "paid on the books."19 That is, income and other taxes are withheld from their pay. In their study of New York State, Jeffrey Passel and Rebecca Clark assumed 60 percent compliance. In their study of New Jersey, Clark and Zimmermann assumed a 56 percent compliance rate.20 New York and New Jersey are somewhat unusual because a smaller fraction of each state's illegal population is employed in agriculture than is true nationally, a sector where being paid off the books is very common. However, we follow the same basic approach and assume that 55 percent of illegal aliens are paid on the books. We implement this by reducing the Income Tax and Social Security, Medicare, and Unemployment Tax of illegal households to 55 percent of their estimated tax liability.
*************************

So CIS assumes that only 45% of the illegals work off the books.

This of course cements the rudimentary CA analysis. At this point you are, at best down to about 25% of the remittances being untaxedl.
Still no link to this alleged CIS report. In any case, this is all supposition. There are ZERO reports on illegal alien remittances, wages or taxes. But, I do see the word "assumed" quite a bit, along with the word "presumed" and "probably." Yes, that's certainly based on FACT.

Oh, I forgot. Olecapt, you can't respond to this. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 PM
 
187 posts, read 151,908 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I was going to address your post until your final few sentences. Mexico is not a sh*thole. It is a nation of rich history and culture, fantastic food and lovely, kind people. Much like America. You should probably get out of your comfort zone a bit more before you ever badmouth something you don't understand.
I understand about pride, like people from all over the world also do, the problem with many of the people posting here is the denial with our own problems, while trying to portray a pathetic view of the rest of the world. At this moment our country is a socio economic mess, our high school dropout is the highest in the western world, one single parent, many of our cities are crime and drug ridden, desolated and abandoned, for example go to appalachia, deroit, etc., many of these places qualify for zesspool isn't it.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
 
14,334 posts, read 7,443,485 times
Reputation: 8091
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I understand about pride, like people from all over the world also do, the problem with many of the people posting here is the denial with our own problems, while trying to portray a pathetic view of the rest of the world. At this moment our country is a socio economic mess, our high school dropout is the highest in the western world, one single parent, many of our cities are crime and drug ridden, desolated and abandoned, for example go to appalachia, deroit, etc., many of these places qualify for zesspool isn't it.......
As a whole I think the forum agrees we have our own problems here in the USA. In fact we have all we can handle without an extra 30 million illegal aliens to add to the mess. Leaves me wondering why the illegals would leave their rich wonderful homelands to come to this awful mess we call the USA. ps, Looks like you could use a little spell check yourself amongst other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 07:37 AM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,308,580 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I understand about pride, like people from all over the world also do, the problem with many of the people posting here is the denial with our own problems, while trying to portray a pathetic view of the rest of the world. At this moment our country is a socio economic mess, our high school dropout is the highest in the western world, one single parent, many of our cities are crime and drug ridden, desolated and abandoned, for example go to appalachia, deroit, etc., many of these places qualify for zesspool isn't it.......
You just gave some real good reasons to deport ANY illegal alien found here. That would def help in cleaning out our cesspools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 3,088,672 times
Reputation: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Exactly! Why are Hispanic-Americans defending illegal aliens anyway? I think we know the answer to that and then they cry discrimination? The only reason we hear so much increasing Spanish being spoken in this country is because of the large numbers of Spanish speaking illegal aliens in this country and many Hispanic-Americans who refuse to adopt English as their primary language of usage.

There aren't 50 million Hispanic-Americans in this country. That is the total number of people who identify themselves as Hispanic including illegal aliens. Only 10-11 million Hispanics voted in the last election. We have well over 250 million non-Hispanics in this country. Maybe they should do the math.

Funny thing is where I live, the elder Hispanics are mad because they think they are slowly losing their identity because a lot of the younger hispanics dont even know Spanish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Too far from home.
8,743 posts, read 5,557,372 times
Reputation: 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why are Hispanic-Americans defending illegal aliens anyway?
Mexican-Americans would because they are the children of illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 01:57 AM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,307,591 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I was born in Spain of spanish mother and american father, moved to Puert Rico in infancy, then to the mainland usa, and I see we have very different views. The Dominicans in Puerto Rico work hard and deserve their place in society, unemployment and poverty are not unique of certain places, it is all over the united states now, it sounds you are not very proud of your heritage, well, that's not good for you because you will always feel inferior, most of the Puerto Ricans I know are highly educated, and proud, if you are puertorrican you must have noticed the nationalistic pride of most puertorricans, in fact puertorricans were voted last year as the happiest people on the planet, that's a misconception by anglos, every city in the usa where there is a large number of spanish-americans
they tend to be happy, while so many anglos are consumed by their hate....
Let me correct you first. It was not 2011 that PUERTORICO was voted the happiest place on the planet, or the happiest people. It was in 3-05 and that survey was done by Matthew Hay Brown, from the Orlando Sentinel. Out of 82 othere nations the US came in 15 not to shabby, for us crabby, hateful people.

Help me understand here please. How can you be born in Spain as you claim yet in POST 321 you STATE BOLDLY that you are a US citizen. You may be a citiznen, but the way you carry on, i am not sure, you seem to belittle this Country.
I think you are going on and rambling on actually about nothing!
You almost make me ashame to have spanish blood in me, thank God i am also Italian heritage.
No Country is inferior to any other and vice versa, you want to know why! because the dang people running these Countries are human and guess what not pefect.
If you are really that unhappy living in this Country, which is what i feel most of us believe, you are welcome to leave at anytime, you seem to hate everything about this Country.
Can you please stop saying spanish-american, you are making me ill everyime you say spanish-american, i in no way shape or form feel as you do.

This whole Country, has people living here from other Lands or have you plainly not noticed this. We welcome everyone here, for gosh sakes, or you would not see people from every Culture living here but legally.

Do you understand the key here is legal which is something right! not illegal which i was taugh from a young age, illegal is something wrong.
And please stop saying to us that we are not proud of our heritage! do you know each of us personally, i think not, we are just as proud of our heritage as you, maybe more, we don't obsess over the little things in life. Most of us have different political views on this forum, but i feel each of us are proud to be American.
I do not think that any of us care about what people from other Countries do or are thinking. If in Spain Spanish People are so upbeat and loving, how come when i was there, they put Mexicans down, and do not want to be assocaited with them, that was the feeling we had gotten. A couple of the locals, asked us about the border, and Mexicans, and believe me the locals we met, did not like Mexicans, i thought they were all a loving people. Guess what language the Spanish spoke to us in, why it was loving English. With an accent, but english.
I am only bringing this because you feel as those in other Countries are loving towards everyone, this is not the feeling i had gotten. Lets not go there. We have done a lot of traveling in our years, not everyone in all these differnt Countries, were a loving happy culture to me. Not going to get into which Spanish Countries, some were the pitt's and some were really nice beautiful, and nice people. Not all Spanish People seemed happy to me, that depends on where they live, and their circumstances in life.
Can we let this go, and just be happy with who we are, this is the problem we have as a People, eveyone feeling as if they are better then someone esle, we are all equal.

Last edited by california-jewel; 02-29-2012 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top