U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,157,849 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I agree with the OP. The racial tone does hurt this issue. People should be free to point out that eighty percent of all illegals are hispanic and that many hispanic pols are completely obsessed with figuring out ways to manipulate America's immigration laws to benefit their raza at the expense of many of their fellow Americans. We should be able to do so without constantly being accused of racism at every turn. It hurts all of us when hispanic pols do everything they can to encourage illegal immigration from Latin American countries rather than encourage Latin American governments to create vibrant societies of their own.

Open and honest dialogue would be a great thing.
Excellent post! I would only add that it is not only the Hispanic politicians that are trying to manipulate American's immigration laws for their ethnic benefit but many regular Hispanic citizens also. When we object to it we get called racists, xenophobes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,131,308 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
The word "spin" comes to my mind, this is precisely my point, many people, usually radicals, will continue looking for any excuse in order to justify the entanglement of illegals with spanish-american culture, so be it.
Spanish americans in order to defend themselves will continue swaying elections against radicals, in 2012 there will be over 28 million potential spanish-american voters, and the word in our community is "go out and vote"......
I'm gonna go with a previous poster. If you the Hispanic community wants to be seen as good as any other community here, then maybe they should stop supporting illegal aliens and politicians like Villaraigosa, Velásquez, and Gutiérrez??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,157,849 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I saw Ruben on Facebook, and "friended" him after a couple articles...

He consistently hits center-of-target IMO, and it is funny as all getout to see the responses he receives (he puts it up as "Reader Mail", which then receives comments from both him and his friends)...

If he's "unAmerican", shouldn't he be censored?

Keep in mind that he is a journalist...
I am not surprised that you would befriend Navarette and agree with him. The question is, why? If anyone defends the illegal invasion of our country I would say that indeed they are, "un-American".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,300,095 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm actually from Latin America and I think you're talking non-sense. Where you are greatly wrong is in the fact that wanting everyone to speak ENGLISH is NOT racial discrimination, at all. It's the hard reality, and it comes with living in a country whose language is different from your own. I had to learn English, no one was going to hold my hand during school or work and happily provide me a translator for every little thing. Get off your butt and learn English. If I can do it, everyone else can. There's no excuse. If you want to keep living the same way you did back home, then do us all a favor and GO BACK HOME. I expect everyone that moves into a Latin American country to learn Spanish and to integrate, and I reasonably expect my fellow latinos to do the same as well. Stop spinning an issue into something that is far from reality. I'm sorry but, there are less Hispanics on your side than you would like to think.

Thank you so much, and saying the truth so well. For myself having a wee bit of Spanish blood in myself, i don't look at myself any other way but American, born and raised in this Country, with mostly Italian blood in me, don't see myself any other way but American with other nationalitiies running thru me, as so many others.

If i went to Italy i would know a lot of the language because i have taught myself pretty well from online classes, and doing very well with it. If i can do this and pretty well, so can others. I like you, and what you stand for, cause you say it as it is, no bull coming from you, and no excuses, excuses never does solve problems, only mask them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 12:48 PM
 
187 posts, read 151,870 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Anyone who moves to another country and doesn't expect to ever have to learn the language of that country is not just intellectually lazy, but also shows a huge lack of curiousity.

Would anyone advice and American planning to relocate to Germany or Spain and live there the rest of their lives to refuse to learn the language of that country?

It's absurd that immigrants legal or otherwise should expect never to learn English because English is the language of the USA.

I find it interesting that the millions of chinese people in the usa speak mandarin constantly and no one seems to be bothered, I find myself in such predicament every time I go to a chinese restaurant. Whatever the reason for them to speak mandarin, I am ok with, and for the same reason I feel free to speak spanish anywhere I feel like it, mostly if I prefer other people not to understand what I am talking. This is a fact that we will have to learn to live with.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,131,308 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I find it interesting that the millions of chinese people in the usa speak mandarin constantly and no one seems to be bothered, I find myself in such predicament every time I go to a chinese restaurant. Whatever the reason for them to speak mandarin, I am ok with, and for the same reason I feel free to speak spanish anywhere I feel like it, mostly if I prefer other people not to understand what I am talking. This is a fact that we will have to learn to live with.....
China is not actively facilitating illegal immigration to the U.S. by issuing an equivalent to the matricula consular out of every consulate in the U.S. Chinese are not giving birth to 4-6 kids and applying for welfare benefits after they do so. The Chinese come here and generally set up their own businesses instead of taking jobs from other Americans. In other words, they CREATE jobs for themselves. A lot of the kids born here from Chinese parents actually do well in school and for themselves.

This pales in comparison to the Mexicans that illegally migrate here and trash the communities they live in. They drive around getting drunk and slamming into people and they don't even get arrested. An illegal Mexican is far more likely to commit crimes than an illegal Chinese. This I don't excuse either, and it pisses me off that I see Chinese written everywhere in every Chinatown there is. But let's look at this practically. The illegal Chinese don't burden the U.S. as much as the illegal Mexican does, and their government is not screaming discrimination or anything for ICE deporting the Chinese. The Mexican government is actively trying to influence the DOJ to let the Mexicans stay here, because it's the non-racist thing to do. And finally, it's common knowledge to most Americans that the U.S. government plays favorites when it comes to illegals and will deport and harass in greater frequency any non-Mexican living here illegally. THAT is racism in my book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 PM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,655,782 times
Reputation: 14471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Many Chicanos prefer to help out illegal aliens. Other Chicanos like me DONT want illegal aliens here.

Things ARE gonna get worse im afraid. Illegal aliens going HOME will help cool things down here in the USA.

Speak English, NOT Spanish.
Don't hold your breath. They aren't going home, and it's too bad that your politicians won't tell you this simple fact.

This country isn't going to deport 12-20 million people. As far as them speaking Spanish, i don't care so long as the person dealing with me is capable of speaking English. What they speak with everyone else isn't my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,655,782 times
Reputation: 14471
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I am not surprised that you would befriend Navarette and agree with him. The question is, why? If anyone defends the illegal invasion of our country I would say that indeed they are, "un-American".
It's not about "defending" it. It's just a simple truth that the illegals are invited here. Not by you and i, but they're invited just the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,823,428 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
Yeah, I got it, undocumented (illegals, or whatever you want to call them) people are to blame for all the calamities of our beloved country,
but my post is about how radicals have made the issue an anti-hispanic one, and beleive me, it resonates loudly among hispanics, remember there are two huge spanish speaking TV networks in the usa, and they make spanish speaking people aware of all this non-sense, and again with our huge political power, that spells trouble for the right wing.....

I see you’ve been infected with the twisting-words syndrome. I never said illegal aliens are responsible for ALL of our woes. But, their fiscal burden cannot be denied.

When did you become the spokesperson for the Hispanic community? That is your opinion, and nothing more. I know far too many Hispanics who oppose illegal immigration, and would laugh at your assertion.

As others have stated, if Hispanics don’t want to be linked with illegal aliens, they need to counter the loudmouth pro-illegal radicals. But, as long as the overwhelming majority of illegals are Hispanic, you’ll just have to live with the consequences.

What huge political power? Come back to reality, you’re living in a dream world. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am not right-wing. Nor are most of the people I know who oppose illegal immigration. So, I guess that means I’m safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 01:24 PM
 
187 posts, read 151,870 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
China is not actively facilitating illegal immigration to the U.S. by issuing an equivalent to the matricula consular out of every consulate in the U.S. Chinese are not giving birth to 4-6 kids and applying for welfare benefits after they do so. The Chinese come here and generally set up their own businesses instead of taking jobs from other Americans. In other words, they CREATE jobs for themselves. A lot of the kids born here from Chinese parents actually do well in school and for themselves.

This pales in comparison to the Mexicans that illegally migrate here and trash the communities they live in. They drive around getting drunk and slamming into people and they don't even get arrested. An illegal Mexican is far more likely to commit crimes than an illegal Chinese. This I don't excuse either, and it pisses me off that I see Chinese written everywhere in every Chinatown there is. But let's look at this practically. The illegal Chinese don't burden the U.S. as much as the illegal Mexican does, and their government is not screaming discrimination or anything for ICE deporting the Chinese. The Mexican government is actively trying to influence the DOJ to let the Mexicans stay here, because it's the non-racist thing to do. And finally, it's common knowledge to most Americans that the U.S. government plays favorites when it comes to illegals and will deport and harass in greater frequency any non-Mexican living here illegally. THAT is racism in my book
Uhmmm, I see, a lot to do with proportions ain't it. We keep going back to spinning the issues, I think it is all a cause and effect situation, as the
spanish-americans get non-sense from the radical right, the spanish-americans retaliate by using their powerful weapon, the vote.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top