U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,828,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
Uhmmm, I see, a lot to do with proportions ain't it. We keep going back to spinning the issues, I think it is all a cause and effect situation, as the
spanish-americans get non-sense from the radical right, the spanish-americans retaliate by using their powerful weapon, the vote.....
I donít know any immigrants from Spain (Spanish-Americans) who even consider themselves the same ethnic group as Hispanics. Call one Hispanic, and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:29 PM

47,314 posts, read 24,684,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don’t know any immigrants from Spain (Spanish-Americans) who even consider themselves the same ethnic group as Hispanics. Call one Hispanic, and see what happens.
......but they are Hispanic, and i'll refer to them as such.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
......but they are Hispanic, and i'll refer to them as such.
Not according to any I know. Of course you can refer to them as you choose. But, donít expect them to like it.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,388,471 times
Quote:
The word "spin" comes to my mind, this is precisely my point, many people, usually radicals, will continue looking for any excuse in order to justify the entanglement of illegals with spanish-american culture, so be it.
Spanish americans in order to defend themselves will continue swaying elections against radicals, in 2012 there will be over 28 million potential spanish-american voters, and the word in our community is "go out and vote"......
I'm just reciting the facts. The people entangling illegals with hispanics are laregely hispanics. If you continue to define "defending yourself" as screeching racism anyone dares point this out you have to face the backlash that results.

This notion that we have to surrender the fiscal needs of the American public to suit the economic needs of Latin America's underclass is not a sustainable one. Falsely shouting racism at every turn only hardens the opposition.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:45 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,154,143 times
Quote:
Uhmmm, I see, a lot to do with proportions ain't it. We keep going back to spinning the issues, I think it is all a cause and effect situation, as the
spanish-americans get non-sense from the radical right, the spanish-americans retaliate by using their powerful weapon, the vote.....
I think you mean Hispanic-American?

And Hispanics do not affect national elections. It's greatly exagerrated since only like, what/ About 10% of all Hispanics eligible to vote voted in 2008 or something like that? And that was with a minority running. I forget what the exact numbers are but someone here posted in a topic with those numbers.

I'm not trying to bash you, yauco, but aren't you Puerto Rican like me? You were born in the states if I remember right, and I was born on the island. We're both Americans born from natural-born Americans, why are you even siding with the illegals? You know that the Feds crap on our people all the time, Puerto Rico is drowning with extreme unemployment and poverty and the illegal alien Dominicans keep on coming sucking the system dry, and displacing our people from their jobs because they'll work cheaper than Puerto Ricans and they bring in even more drugs into the country. the Feds will throw the book at you for committing a crime but they dare wouldn't touch an illegal Mexican living here. I wish you'd come over to my side and see the light for yourself. We are 2nd class citizens next to the illegal Mexicans

Old 08-01-2011, 02:47 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,154,143 times
Quote:
I don’t know any immigrants from Spain (Spanish-Americans) who even consider themselves the same ethnic group as Hispanics. Call one Hispanic, and see what happens.
They don't. They are espaŮoles or castellanos or Spaniards. Hispanic is a term the vast majority of people reserve exclusively to peoples with heritage in Spanish Latin America. I'm mostly Spanish myself, but I call myself a latino because I'm, AFAIK, the 5th generation born in Puerto Rico. I have no connection to Spain at all other than my last names, physical appearance (more or less) and language.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:12 PM

187 posts, read 151,929 times
Quote:
I donít know any immigrants from Spain (Spanish-Americans) who even consider themselves the same ethnic group as Hispanics. Call one Hispanic, and see what happens.
You probably don't know many spaniards, I am Spanish and identify with the rest of spanish speaking people from the americas, all the compatriots that I know also feel the same way, our language is like a priced possesion, there are many differences among hispanic( hispanic comes from spanish ) but our common denominator is spanish and it unites us....

Old 08-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
You probably don't know many spaniards, I am Spanish and identify with the rest of spanish speaking people from the americas, all the compatriots that I know also feel the same way, our language is like a priced possesion, there are many differences among hispanic( hispanic comes from spanish ) but our common denominator is spanish and it unites us....
Actually, I know quite a few. And, NONE consider themselves Hispanic. But, you are certainly entitled to be the exception. As for your preference for the Spanish language, and its unification, youíll have to impress someone who cares. Sorry, I donít.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:28 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,162,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's not about "defending" it. It's just a simple truth that the illegals are invited here. Not by you and i, but they're invited just the same.
Acknowledging the fact that they are here with a wink and a nod from our government to supply their corporate buddies with cheap labor is not the same thing as defending illegal aliens in everyway and you know it. We all know that why they are here whether we be a anti-illegal or a pro-illegal.

Law abiding Americans don't make excuses for illegals as they are just as guilty as the employers. Law abiding Americans do not advocate for amnesty for these law breakers and they acknowledge the negative impact they have on our society in so many ways. Law abiding Americans don't just shrug their shoulders and do nothing to put an end to this mess. Learn to know the difference between a law abiding, rule of law American and a pro-illegal not only excusing these illegals but advocating for them to remain here.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:34 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,162,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I'm just reciting the facts. The people entangling illegals with hispanics are laregely hispanics. If you continue to define "defending yourself" as screeching racism anyone dares point this out you have to face the backlash that results.

This notion that we have to surrender the fiscal needs of the American public to suit the economic needs of Latin America's underclass is not a sustainable one. Falsely shouting racism at every turn only hardens the opposition.
My question would be is when did those of Mexican ancestry suddenly become Spanish Americans? Spain and Mexico are two entirely different countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration