U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2011, 03:04 PM
 
Location: #
9,605 posts, read 14,632,166 times
Reputation: 6282

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I find it interesting that the millions of chinese people in the usa speak mandarin constantly and no one seems to be bothered, I find myself in such predicament every time I go to a chinese restaurant. Whatever the reason for them to speak mandarin, I am ok with, and for the same reason I feel free to speak spanish anywhere I feel like it, mostly if I prefer other people not to understand what I am talking. This is a fact that we will have to learn to live with.....
When you drive through a dirty neighborhood here in Houston that is majority Asian with Asian language newspapers, Asian spoken everywhere, clerks that don't speak English and street signs in Asian languages, it is seen by many as "quaint".

When you drive through a similar neighborhood and switch out the Asians with Hispanics, quaint is often times replaced with all sorts of negative adjectives by the very same people who have no problem whatsoever with driving over to Chinatown and grabbing some food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
China is not actively facilitating illegal immigration to the U.S. by issuing an equivalent to the matricula consular out of every consulate in the U.S. Chinese are not giving birth to 4-6 kids and applying for welfare benefits after they do so. The Chinese come here and generally set up their own businesses instead of taking jobs from other Americans. In other words, they CREATE jobs for themselves. A lot of the kids born here from Chinese parents actually do well in school and for themselves.

This pales in comparison to the Mexicans that illegally migrate here and trash the communities they live in. They drive around getting drunk and slamming into people and they don't even get arrested. An illegal Mexican is far more likely to commit crimes than an illegal Chinese. This I don't excuse either, and it pisses me off that I see Chinese written everywhere in every Chinatown there is. But let's look at this practically. The illegal Chinese don't burden the U.S. as much as the illegal Mexican does, and their government is not screaming discrimination or anything for ICE deporting the Chinese. The Mexican government is actively trying to influence the DOJ to let the Mexicans stay here, because it's the non-racist thing to do. And finally, it's common knowledge to most Americans that the U.S. government plays favorites when it comes to illegals and will deport and harass in greater frequency any non-Mexican living here illegally. THAT is racism in my book
So, in other words you make excuses for illegals you perceive to be more desirable. Many supposed "anti-illegal" folks do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,501,344 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Actually, I know quite a few. And, NONE consider themselves Hispanic. But, you are certainly entitled to be the exception. As for your preference for the Spanish language, and its unification, you’ll have to impress someone who cares. Sorry, I don’t.
Here is my take on the language issue. We Americans are assimilated into an English-speaking nation and English is our de-facto national language. Our language is also a prized possession as it is in most English-speaking nations. Our English language is the common denominator which unites all Americans from all backgrounds and makes it possible for so many from such diverse backgrounds to communicate with each other.

Also, why is it considered "racist" for Americans to value their common language, but fine for many Hispanics to value Spanish more and identify with Latin America even though they were born in THIS country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 19,421,535 times
Reputation: 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
That would be a personal choice...
yes it would be. However they cant have it both ways.Hispanic Illegals enjoy a good amount of support once here. This support isnt coming from the chinese, russian, or Swede communities. It is coming from the Hispanic community.
If the hispanic community doesn't like being stereo typed as all illegal then perhaps as a community they might want to be seen taking a stand against those who give them the bad name. Stop facilitating. Stop demanding special treatment for illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
 
187 posts, read 156,470 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think you mean Hispanic-American?

And Hispanics do not affect national elections. It's greatly exagerrated since only like, what/ About 10% of all Hispanics eligible to vote voted in 2008 or something like that? And that was with a minority running. I forget what the exact numbers are but someone here posted in a topic with those numbers.

I'm not trying to bash you, yauco, but aren't you Puerto Rican like me? You were born in the states if I remember right, and I was born on the island. We're both Americans born from natural-born Americans, why are you even siding with the illegals? You know that the Feds crap on our people all the time, Puerto Rico is drowning with extreme unemployment and poverty and the illegal alien Dominicans keep on coming sucking the system dry, and displacing our people from their jobs because they'll work cheaper than Puerto Ricans and they bring in even more drugs into the country. the Feds will throw the book at you for committing a crime but they dare wouldn't touch an illegal Mexican living here. I wish you'd come over to my side and see the light for yourself. We are 2nd class citizens next to the illegal Mexicans
I was born in Spain of spanish mother and american father, moved to Puert Rico in infancy, then to the mainland usa, and I see we have very different views. The Dominicans in Puerto Rico work hard and deserve their place in society, unemployment and poverty are not unique of certain places, it is all over the united states now, it sounds you are not very proud of your heritage, well, that's not good for you because you will always feel inferior, most of the Puerto Ricans I know are highly educated, and proud, if you are puertorrican you must have noticed the nationalistic pride of most puertorricans, in fact puertorricans were voted last year as the happiest people on the planet, that's a misconception by anglos, every city in the usa where there is a large number of spanish-americans
they tend to be happy, while so many anglos are consumed by their hate....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 03:50 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,501,344 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
yes it would be. However they cant have it both ways.Hispanic Illegals enjoy a good amount of support once here. This support isnt coming from the chinese, russian, or Swede communities. It is coming from the Hispanic community.
If the hispanic community doesn't like being stereo typed as all illegal then perhaps as a community they might want to be seen taking a stand against those who give them the bad name. Stop facilitating. Stop demanding special treatment for illegals.
Don't hold your breath for that to happen. It has been my experience that far too many Hispanics are ethnically driven. I believe there was a poll posted in here also taken of Hispanics and how they view illegal immigration from their ethnic group. The majority approved of it and want amnesty for them. Those Hispanics who don't tow the raza line are viewed as vendidos and coconuts which means traitors to their group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 PM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,090,543 times
Reputation: 11618
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I was born in Spain of spanish mother and american father, moved to Puert Rico in infancy, then to the mainland usa, and I see we have very different views. The Dominicans in Puerto Rico work hard and deserve their place in society, unemployment and poverty are not unique of certain places, it is all over the united states now, it sounds you are not very proud of your heritage, well, that's not good for you because you will always feel inferior, most of the Puerto Ricans I know are highly educated, and proud, if you are puertorrican you must have noticed the nationalistic pride of most puertorricans, in fact puertorricans were voted last year as the happiest people on the planet, that's a misconception by anglos, every city in the usa where there is a large number of spanish-americans
they tend to be happy, while so many anglos are consumed by their hate....
Ah right. My mistake, I assumed from your name that you had some sort of connection to the town of Yauco I'm from Carolina municipality. My family's been in Puerto Rico for as long as I can remember. The earliest I traced back was around 1830. I don't know where exactly in Spain my family came from but they came from Jaén or Granada on my mother's side and Galicia on my father's.

Don't get me wrong, I love my island and have my flag pinned up on the wall but I am an American first and foremost. These are all my countrymen on here and it makes me angry that Mexicans can come here without consequences and mooch off of us while spitting on the American flag when my ancestors were sent to the front lines in WWI, WWII, and Korea. And those fools at the NCLR dare call ME a race traitor??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM
 
50,028 posts, read 26,520,803 times
Reputation: 15631
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Acknowledging the fact that they are here with a wink and a nod from our government to supply their corporate buddies with cheap labor is not the same thing as defending illegal aliens in everyway and you know it. We all know that why they are here whether we be a anti-illegal or a pro-illegal.

Law abiding Americans don't make excuses for illegals as they are just as guilty as the employers. Law abiding Americans do not advocate for amnesty for these law breakers and they acknowledge the negative impact they have on our society in so many ways. Law abiding Americans don't just shrug their shoulders and do nothing to put an end to this mess. Learn to know the difference between a law abiding, rule of law American and a pro-illegal not only excusing these illegals but advocating for them to remain here.
My argument is that they're invited here. Point blank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 05:06 PM
 
Location: The D-M-V area
13,694 posts, read 15,596,531 times
Reputation: 9519
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
As the illegal immigration debate heats up, an anti-hispanic tone has been strongly associated to it. Instead of keeping the argument about legal immigration many radicals curse the use of spanish, or spanish culture per se, as if illegal immigration and spanish culture are the same thing, the direct effect has been that the hispanic population has united more than ever before, in a common front against discrimination, and with hispanic-americans numbering over 50 million, the implicit is obvious, hispanic americans have the power to sway elections one way or the other, and since the gop has been so loud, they will pay the political price, with the added insult that hispanic-americans are the fastest growing ethnicity, and this change will have short and long term consequences....
This country never had an anti-hispanic tone.

Hispanics have historically been more acceptable than descendants of the slaves who helped to build this nation.

No. What we have today are people fed-up with having their tax money spent on broods of illegals and anchor babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 05:23 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,501,344 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My argument is that they're invited here. Point blank.
You have a link to your assertion? The majority of Americans did not invite them so your point is moot anyway. The majority rules in this country. They don't have to accept any so-called invitation either. They aren't children that don't know right from wrong. They know we have immigration laws and how they are coming here is not within those laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,278,273 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't hold your breath. They aren't going home, and it's too bad that your politicians won't tell you this simple fact.

This country isn't going to deport 12-20 million people. As far as them speaking Spanish, i don't care so long as the person dealing with me is capable of speaking English. What they speak with everyone else isn't my business.
I DO care bout ILLEGAL aliens here. They WILL be going away or they WILL be kickd out of the USA. I just hope Chicanos dont get hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top