U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2011, 12:59 AM
 
187 posts, read 151,825 times
Reputation: 105

Advertisements

As the illegal immigration debate heats up, an anti-hispanic tone has been strongly associated to it. Instead of keeping the argument about legal immigration many radicals curse the use of spanish, or spanish culture per se, as if illegal immigration and spanish culture are the same thing, the direct effect has been that the hispanic population has united more than ever before, in a common front against discrimination, and with hispanic-americans numbering over 50 million, the implicit is obvious, hispanic americans have the power to sway elections one way or the other, and since the gop has been so loud, they will pay the political price, with the added insult that hispanic-americans are the fastest growing ethnicity, and this change will have short and long term consequences....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2011, 03:49 AM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,152,646 times
Reputation: 9377
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
As the illegal immigration debate heats up, an anti-hispanic tone has been strongly associated to it. Instead of keeping the argument about legal immigration many radicals curse the use of spanish, or spanish culture per se, as if illegal immigration and spanish culture are the same thing, the direct effect has been that the hispanic population has united more than ever before, in a common front against discrimination, and with hispanic-americans numbering over 50 million, the implicit is obvious, hispanic americans have the power to sway elections one way or the other, and since the gop has been so loud, they will pay the political price, with the added insult that hispanic-americans are the fastest growing ethnicity, and this change will have short and long term consequences....
If you're legal, then why are you concerned? I haven't seen anything that would be detrimental to HISPANIC-AMERICANS. What I have seen is a policy that is trending towards booting the illegals out of this country, as they should be.

So if you're not illegal, then you should explain to us what you've witnessed that has been detrimental to your juxtaposition in society. Where have you been discriminated against?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If you're legal, then why are you concerned? I haven't seen anything that would be detrimental to HISPANIC-AMERICANS. What I have seen is a policy that is trending towards booting the illegals out of this country, as they should be.

So if you're not illegal, then you should explain to us what you've witnessed that has been detrimental to your juxtaposition in society. Where have you been discriminated against?
Exactly! Why are Hispanic-Americans defending illegal aliens anyway? I think we know the answer to that and then they cry discrimination? The only reason we hear so much increasing Spanish being spoken in this country is because of the large numbers of Spanish speaking illegal aliens in this country and many Hispanic-Americans who refuse to adopt English as their primary language of usage.

There aren't 50 million Hispanic-Americans in this country. That is the total number of people who identify themselves as Hispanic including illegal aliens. Only 10-11 million Hispanics voted in the last election. We have well over 250 million non-Hispanics in this country. Maybe they should do the math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,238,350 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
As the illegal immigration debate heats up, an anti-hispanic tone has been strongly associated to it. Instead of keeping the argument about legal immigration many radicals curse the use of spanish, or spanish culture per se, as if illegal immigration and spanish culture are the same thing, the direct effect has been that the hispanic population has united more than ever before, in a common front against discrimination, and with hispanic-americans numbering over 50 million, the implicit is obvious, hispanic americans have the power to sway elections one way or the other, and since the gop has been so loud, they will pay the political price, with the added insult that hispanic-americans are the fastest growing ethnicity, and this change will have short and long term consequences....
Many Chicanos prefer to help out illegal aliens. Other Chicanos like me DONT want illegal aliens here.

Things ARE gonna get worse im afraid. Illegal aliens going HOME will help cool things down here in the USA.

Speak English, NOT Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
As the illegal immigration debate heats up, an anti-hispanic tone has been strongly associated to it. Instead of keeping the argument about legal immigration many radicals curse the use of spanish, or spanish culture per se, as if illegal immigration and spanish culture are the same thing, the direct effect has been that the hispanic population has united more than ever before, in a common front against discrimination, and with hispanic-americans numbering over 50 million, the implicit is obvious, hispanic americans have the power to sway elections one way or the other, and since the gop has been so loud, they will pay the political price, with the added insult that hispanic-americans are the fastest growing ethnicity, and this change will have short and long term consequences....
So, let me get this straight. We have untold millions of foreigners living in our country in violation of our laws, including violent criminals, thieves, and fraudsters. In addition, their illegal presence has contributed to our budget deficits, school overcrowding, and myriad other problems. But, due to the fact that the majority of illegal aliens speak Spanish, and are thus designated as “Hispanic,” and given the increase in the Hispanic population, which, by the way, is primarily fueled by the astronomical birthrate of illegal aliens, we should therefore acquiesce to their illegitimate demands, lest we offend Hispanic-Americans. Is that actually what you’re suggesting? If so, sorry, but you’ll have to give me a better reason than that. Furthermore, I don’t respond well to threats/blackmail.

All of the Hispanics I know fervently oppose illegal immigration. Unfortunately, the most vociferous voices are those of the Hispanic profiteers of illegal immigration, who rely on blatant lies and character assassination to convince others that opposition to illegal immigration is tantamount to racism. Funny, I can’t think of ANY unlawful behavior, other than illegal immigration, whose opposition would be deemed racists. Can you?

Rather than parroting the pro-illegal script, and making veiled threats, why not explain to us why we should embrace lawlessness, and the fleecing of America by millions of people who have no legal right to even be here. Can you do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,118,541 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
As the illegal immigration debate heats up, an anti-hispanic tone has been strongly associated to it. Instead of keeping the argument about legal immigration many radicals curse the use of spanish, or spanish culture per se, as if illegal immigration and spanish culture are the same thing, the direct effect has been that the hispanic population has united more than ever before, in a common front against discrimination, and with hispanic-americans numbering over 50 million, the implicit is obvious, hispanic americans have the power to sway elections one way or the other, and since the gop has been so loud, they will pay the political price, with the added insult that hispanic-americans are the fastest growing ethnicity, and this change will have short and long term consequences....
I'm actually from Latin America and I think you're talking non-sense. Where you are greatly wrong is in the fact that wanting everyone to speak ENGLISH is NOT racial discrimination, at all. It's the hard reality, and it comes with living in a country whose language is different from your own. I had to learn English, no one was going to hold my hand during school or work and happily provide me a translator for every little thing. Get off your butt and learn English. If I can do it, everyone else can. There's no excuse. If you want to keep living the same way you did back home, then do us all a favor and GO BACK HOME. I expect everyone that moves into a Latin American country to learn Spanish and to integrate, and I reasonably expect my fellow latinos to do the same as well. Stop spinning an issue into something that is far from reality. I'm sorry but, there are less Hispanics on your side than you would like to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Reputation: 22159
Anyone who moves to another country and doesn't expect to ever have to learn the language of that country is not just intellectually lazy, but also shows a huge lack of curiousity.

Would anyone advice and American planning to relocate to Germany or Spain and live there the rest of their lives to refuse to learn the language of that country?

It's absurd that immigrants legal or otherwise should expect never to learn English because English is the language of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 PM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,827 posts, read 4,648,201 times
Reputation: 3583
Quit the whining.

It's a race issue.... Yeah! Apparently to people like Luis Gutierrez since he is the biggest illegal supporter out there...but wait, I have yet to see him talk about helping the poor Chinese who came here illegally just because they wanted a better life....

A lot of Hispanic Americans put their background above our Federal Laws. It's all about helping their fellow countrymen who are here illegally. A while ago I found a video on youtube about a handful of legal immigrants from Mexico who are fed up with illegal immigration and they were getting death threats from the people who commented on the video. A lot of the comments were about them being traitors and turning their backs to their "people".

What do you say to that?

Illegals and illegal supporters are some of the most racist people I have ever come across...

And have you stop to think that maybe, just maybe we are so fed up with being told we need to learn Spanish to cater to those who refuse to assimilate, and to pay for children to be taught English in schools because their parents from Mexico, Guatemala etc never taught them English because they have been here for 10 years and can't even speak it themselves? And that they basically want to colonize this country all over again? Have their "race" take over?

If the Chinese were doing the exact same thing, if the Chinese made up 80% of the illegal alien population in this country, do you think Latinos would still be the target?

The problem with Mexicans and those folks from Central and South America (legal and illegal) is that they are first ones to run their mouths when a law targeting illegal immigration is passed. They march on the streets showing their pride, waving their flags in our faces demanding that we give them more and more and more. And give them the same benefits that citizens and legal residents are given.

If Latinos weren't demanding such things, if they were assimilating and didn't have a sense of entitlement the picture would be different.

So wah wah wah. They brought that upon themselves and they are the only ones to blame for what you call a "racial tone".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Anyone who moves to another country and doesn't expect to ever have to learn the language of that country is not just intellectually lazy, but also shows a huge lack of curiousity.

Would anyone advice and American planning to relocate to Germany or Spain and live there the rest of their lives to refuse to learn the language of that country?

It's absurd that immigrants legal or otherwise should expect never to learn English because English is the language of the USA.
It isn't only that. Many that do learn our language still refuse to speak it unless they have to so what's the difference? It still is a non-assimilation issue IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Quit the whining.

It's a race issue.... Yeah! Apparently to people like Luis Gutierrez since he is the biggest illegal supporter out there...but wait, I have yet to see him talk about helping the poor Chinese who came here illegally just because they wanted a better life....

A lot of Hispanic Americans put their background above our Federal Laws. It's all about helping their fellow countrymen who are here illegally. A while ago I found a video on youtube about a handful of legal immigrants from Mexico who are fed up with illegal immigration and they were getting death threats from the people who commented on the video. A lot of the comments were about them being traitors and turning their backs to their "people".

What do you say to that?

Illegals and illegal supporters are some of the most racist people I have ever come across...

And have you stop to think that maybe, just maybe we are so fed up with being told we need to learn Spanish to cater to those who refuse to assimilate, and to pay for children to be taught English in schools because their parents from Mexico, Guatemala etc never taught them English because they have been here for 10 years and can't even speak it themselves? And that they basically want to colonize this country all over again? Have their "race" take over?

If the Chinese were doing the exact same thing, if the Chinese made up 80% of the illegal alien population in this country, do you think Latinos would still be the target?

The problem with Mexicans and those folks from Central and South America (legal and illegal) is that they are first ones to run their mouths when a law targeting illegal immigration is passed. They march on the streets showing their pride, waving their flags in our faces demanding that we give them more and more and more. And give them the same benefits that citizens and legal residents are given.

If Latinos weren't demanding such things, if they were assimilating and didn't have a sense of entitlement the picture would be different.

So wah wah wah. They brought that upon themselves and they are the only ones to blame for what you call a "racial tone".
You speak the absolute truth. Far too many Hispanic-Americans call their fellow Hispanics who object to illegal immigration and amnesty, "vendidos", etc. In otherwords they aren't towing the ethnocentric line so they are considered to be traitors to their own kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top