Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:07 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,070,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
It's nothing new to know that in the USA many of the workers in the fields are illegal. Why hire an illegal when you can hire a legal? If you are trying to look business savy than you would know that people hire them to save lots of money. Same reason why some companies play it legal and open offices in other parts of the world like India, China, etc. Have you ever called customer support for Microsoft? Guess where those calls are being answered? Why? hint hint...lower wages = more money to your business' pockets and this is what the farmers do when they hire illegals, save money, earn more.

Q&A: Illegal Immigrants and the U.S. Economy : NPR
I see the points I have made flew right over your head. We all know illegals are here, we all know they are working, we all know they use ITIN numbers when filing tax forms on wages they received from paychecks. We all know some day laborers are paid in cash. We all know they suppress wages (lower wages for said industry). Maybe you should read your link again: Even in industries with high concentrations of illegal workers — such as construction, restaurants and some parts of agriculture — the impact isn't as great as many people think.

You are claiming that farm workers, based on the colors of their skin, are illegals, and that they are being paid below minimum wage and also cash, which is mere assumption.

If it can be proven that the employer hired these people "knowing that hey were illegals" and "that they supplied them with the documents needed" to cover the workers then yes the employer should be held accountable, we agree, the Dunkin' Donuts thread comes to mind to include the recent Chipotle firings, except it wasn't the employer but the managers doing the hiring.

Trying to look business savvy? I own a business, I employee people, I know the laws. The risk isn't worth knowingly employing illegals. The savings you so believe are there, aren't unless you have a large number of people being paid cash or less than others (see your own linked article; I bolded the part for you above). For small employers there is very little to no cost savings. Your application of large business modeling with hundreds of employees (corporate farms - Pelosi and Heinz (Kerry) come to mind here) to that of small business, usually with less than 20 employees (most family farms), modeling is where you are failing.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 08-03-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 5,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Yet none of the unemployed are heading to those 12ish thousand jobs in GA where up to $1 billion could be lost in crops this year alone.

It's obvious that people aren't taking these jobs. How can you deny it? The governor made the judges start assigning criminals farm work to save face for crying out loud. Now, what exactly is your problem with giving immigrants easier legal methods to work these jobs?
Mr. We are talking about Illegal Alians ( Not Immigrates ). Question is why Illegal Alian exist in this country????? We are not talking about America dont do job which Illegal alians can do........
Its wrong undocumented Alians are serious problem of our nation and govt. They need to be punished and deported back................... Crime is Crime.......Entering to the country illegally and staying illegal is a crime........SAY DEPORT TO ILLEGAL ALIANS.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,600,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editorialist View Post
I am tired of hearing over and over again that Americans will not do the jobs no one wants and finally I have proof of it. If you will go to https://www.numbersusa.com/content/a...s-will-do.html? you will find story after story of many Americans doing those jobs.

It is time to make sure Americans get the jobs first and support the
E-Verify Program now up for passage in Congress, which will insure this takes place.
Well even if Illegals left I think most of those jobs would likely pay minimum wage as illegals mostly work in places that require little skill or little education. Do you think people can live off minimum wage jobs? Would college graduates who are having trouble looking for a job accept these types of jobs and conditions?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:28 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,015,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Well even if Illegals left I think most of those jobs would likely pay minimum wage as illegals mostly work in places that require little skill or little education.
I kinda doubt this. Most illegals work for more than minimum wage. But if you have a source that would back up your claim I'd like to see it.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I kinda doubt this. Most illegals work for more than minimum wage. But if you have a source that would back up your claim I'd like to see it.
I'm taking it from people who claim that illegals drive down wages. If they do in fact get paid more than minimum wage then how exactly are they driving down wages? Also, I doubt a fast food restaurant would pay their illegal workers more than minimum wage or what type of jobs are you speaking of?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,862 times
Quote:
Well even if Illegals left I think most of those jobs would likely pay minimum wage as illegals mostly work in places that require little skill or little education. Do you think people can live off minimum wage jobs? Would college graduates who are having trouble looking for a job accept these types of jobs and conditions?
There are many less educated and young Americans willing to do those entry level jobs for minimum wage. Who do you think did them before the arrival of cheap, illegal labor?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I'm taking it from people who claim that illegals drive down wages. If they do in fact get paid more than minimum wage then how exactly are they driving down wages? Also, I doubt a fast food restaurant would pay their illegal workers more than minimum wage or what type of jobs are you speaking of?
Let me give you an example of driving down wages. In the construction industry a drywaller or other skilled worker use to make twice what those jobs are paying now and it is because of the availability of cheap, illegal labor.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There are many less educated and young Americans willing to do those entry level jobs for minimum wage. Who do you think did them before the arrival of cheap, illegal labor?
The type of jobs that pay minimum wage are usually for young students and those jobs will always pay low no matter how many years you work there, so I don't understand why you call them entry level (picking fruits and flipping burgers as entry level?). Some people might say at least it's a job, but getting paid that little is barely livable considering how there are 1 bedroom apartments here in Texas for $499 a month (a great chunk of the check for people with these low skill low paying jobs) and I'm not even counting electric, water and gas bills.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Let me give you an example of driving down wages. In the construction industry a drywaller or other skilled worker use to make twice what those jobs are paying now and it is because of the availability of cheap, illegal labor.
I guess it depends where you live, I know some people who work construction and they all make $30 an hour or more (well before the crisis). I was shocked to learn this because I thought it was unfair that these people who didn't even go to college were making more than some college grads.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
The type of jobs that pay minimum wage are usually for young students and those jobs will always pay low no matter how many years you work there, so I don't understand why you call them entry level (picking fruits and flipping burgers as entry level?). Some people might say at least it's a job, but getting paid that little is barely livable considering how there are 1 bedroom apartments here in Texas for $499 a month (a great chunk of the check for people with these low skill low paying jobs) and I'm not even counting electric, water and gas bills.
Let me ask you yet again. Who did those minimum wage jobs before the arrival of cheap, illegal labor? Many of these jobs can be held by high school or college students or our own low skilled, less educated that live at home or share expenses with another person. If it can be proven that those jobs can't be or won't be filled by Americans then the answer isn't to hire illegal labor instead. The employers need to petition our government for more legal foreign workers instead. They don't though because they have cheap, illegal labor readily available and it isn't because they can't find American workers as you are suggesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration