U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

[quote=Arjay51;20367152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post

No, that is what you say it is assuming and what you, since you say it, must assume.



You do realize that no foreign born person has a "right" to move here to live. They have to qualify. The rest of your quote is mere bias on your part.



Basically, you continue to put words into the mouths of others, knowing that they must be true due to your telepathic abilities. Or lack of evidence.
It is laughable the lame arguments that these people come up with, isn't it? First off, no human born on this earth is better than anyone else from the "human" aspect of it. However, every country's citizens do have certain rights over foreigners and well they should by virtue of being citizens of a country. How can anyone argue such a valid and planet wide concept?

Second, as I have stated over and over, we can only take in so many immigrants without it having a negative impact on our own citizens. Once our quotas are met for the year, that's it! It matters not that more want to come anyway. That doesn't give them the right to come here illegally because they didn't make the cut and then demand being made legal after they get here. Sometimes I think we are arguing with 2nd graders in here. I find it hard to believe that adults could hold such completely clueless views.

 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Changing the law to adapt to the illegals would only encourage more illegals to come here. The point is (even if you don't want to admit it) that those who take the legal steps required and qualify are readily admitted here. Those who don't are criminals.
But you're just making a circular argument now.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
You do realize that no foreign born person has a "right" to move here to live. They have to qualify. The rest of your quote is mere bias on your part.
Yes, I realize this. It is, in fact, the entire basis for the point I made, which apparently went right over your head.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 11:53 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Second, as I have stated over and over, we can only take in so many immigrants without it having a negative impact on our own citizens. Once our quotas are met for the year, that's it!
Oh, the quotas are infalliable?
 
Old 08-08-2011, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
The funny part about this argument is that it basically assumes that some people are better than others by simple virtue of where they were born.

If we ignored birth citizenship altogether (as many of the people who use this "WE might let you move here" type argument would like!), how would you like YOUR chances of getting into the US with the current immigration regime? I am pretty sure ErikCortez (along with a lot of other posters in this forum) would be on the outside looking in.

Basically, you got yours and you don't want to share.
No, that is NOT the assumption, and repetition will not magically make it true. No one has relegated foreigners to a status of ďinferiorĒ human beings. However, every country has citizens, and as citizens, they are entitled to certain rights and privileges by virtue of their citizenship. Thatís the way it is, and should be. Otherwise, what value would citizenship hold? Sorry, but everyone cannot be born in the USA. Those who arenít, and wish to live in this country, must meet certain standards. Why is that an unjust law?

But, we are not on the outside looking in. We were born here, just as people are born in every country in this world. Some countries offer more than others. Thatís life, and life is not always fair.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 02:18 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
every country has citizens, and as citizens, they are entitled to certain rights and privileges by virtue of their citizenship. Thatís the way it is, and should be.
Except re: anchor babies. Just clarifying your rhetoric, which you will dispose of as soon as the anchor baby discussion comes up.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Except re: anchor babies. Just clarifying your rhetoric, which you will dispose of as soon as the anchor baby discussion comes up.
I donít recall excluding anchor babies. In fact, I didnít mention them. Did I?
 
Old 08-08-2011, 02:35 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, that is NOT the assumption, and repetition will not magically make it true. No one has relegated foreigners to a status of ďinferiorĒ human beings. However, every country has citizens, and as citizens, they are entitled to certain rights and privileges by virtue of their citizenship. Thatís the way it is, and should be. Otherwise, what value would citizenship hold? Sorry, but everyone cannot be born in the USA. Those who arenít, and wish to live in this country, must meet certain standards. Why is that an unjust law?
So people who were born here don't have to meet the same standards, but somehow you think this doesn't mean they're assumed to be superior to those born elsewhere?

You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
But, we are not on the outside looking in. We were born here, just as people are born in every country in this world. Some countries offer more than others. Thatís life, and life is not always fair.
Yes, I'm not confused about the current situation. I'm offering a hypothetical. If we're worried about substandard humans "dragging us down" why should we exclude some people from examination just because they happened to be born here? If they actually aren't any better than those born elsewhere just because they were born inside the US, then they are ALSO potential dead weight, dragging us down, aren't they? So why can't we subject them to the same standards?
 
Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I donít recall excluding anchor babies. In fact, I didnít mention them. Did I?
You from another thread, 5 minutes ago:

Quote:
Yes, they are citizens through the bastardization of the 14th Amendment, and the theft, fraud, and deception of their lawless parents. But, their parents are NOT Home, and we want them to leave. The children are free to accompany their parents.
So uh, yeah, you DO want to deny them the benefits of citizenship (which include giving their parents certain privileges), more or less.

So your argument that "as citizens, they are entitled to certain rights and privileges by virtue of their citizenship. Thatís the way it is, and should be"...well that is kind of hollow. See, those ARE the rights and privileges granted by citizenship.
 
Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So people who were born here don't have to meet the same standards, but somehow you think this doesn't mean they're assumed to be superior to those born elsewhere?

You can't have it both ways.



Yes, I'm not confused about the current situation. I'm offering a hypothetical. If we're worried about substandard humans "dragging us down" why should we exclude some people from examination just because they happened to be born here? If they actually aren't any better than those born elsewhere just because they were born inside the US, then they are ALSO potential dead weight, dragging us down, aren't they? So why can't we subject them to the same standards?
What part of citizenship has privileges do you not comprehend? This is not the United States of the World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top