Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Oh wow, another link from a white supremacist website. Gee, where does anyone get the idea that there are racist posters on this site???
Quote:
Well the SPLC does say so, but it's quite easy for anyone to do the research themselves and come to the same conclusion.

The point made in the link is really irrelevant. If CIS says the sky is blue it's still a bad source to cite when you're constantly getting your panties in a wad about being called a racist. If the point in the link is valid then I'm sure anyone can find a website that isn't a front for known white supremacists that says the same thing.
If CIS is such a racist organization, do you think Pew Hispanic would list it among “Other Immigration Sources” on their website? I think not.

Quote:
Other Immigration Sources

The Mexican Migration Project is a multidisciplinary research effort between investigators in Mexico and the United States that study the Mexican immigrant experience. The Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) is a research and policy analysis organization that focuses on the impact of immigration on the United States. CIS publishes reports on legal immigration and illegal immigration. The Migration Dialogue provides nonpartisan information and analysis of international migration. The Center for Migration Studies publishes International Migration Review, a quarterly journal on migration issues. The Migration Policy Institute (MPI) is dedicated to the study of the movement of people worldwide and publishes reports on the Migration Information Source. The Urban Institute's Immigration Studies Program studies the impact of U.S. Immigration. Georgetown University's Institute for the Study of International Migration, focuses on all aspects of international migration. The Brookings Institution published several pieces on immigration in the U.S. and has links to other research. The National Conference of State Legislatures' Immigrant Policy Project provides legislative research and analysis on immigration policy issues.
Rise, Peak and Decline: Trends in U.S. Immigration 1992 – 2004 - Pew Hispanic Center

Rather than trying to defame every anti-illegal source, why not focus on the content? If their info is wrong, it should be easy to refute.

BTW, the SPLC profits from the perpetuation of hate rhetoric. So, to ensure adequate funding, if they can’t find legitimate hate, they manufacture. Minus hate targets, they would go bankrupt, and Morris Dees would have difficulty maintaining his opulent lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 02:19 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times
Quote:
The lawsuit alleges that the way in which those signatures were gathered broke the law and that they are therefore invalid. State Delegate Neil Parrott (R) set up the website MDpetitions.com to help collect more signatures. The website asks users to provide their name, address, ZIP Code and date of birth.

Joe Sandler, a lawyer in one of the law firms representing the plaintiffs, noted that in a household, for example, one person could fill out that information for everyone, leaving just the signatures to complete the forms. The lawsuit contends that this "pre-filled" form breaks Maryland law.
Backers of Maryland DREAM Act challenge referendum effort - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-maryland-dream-act-20110803,0,6211017.story?track=rss - broken link)

Democracy...yes. I thought it was all about doing things the LEGAL way.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
In reality it is effecting our democracy
Yes, voting on something is stopping our ability to vote on things in the future.

Good thing we have never had a Democracy.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:27 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Backers of Maryland DREAM Act challenge referendum effort - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-maryland-dream-act-20110803,0,6211017.story?track=rss - broken link)

Democracy...yes. I thought it was all about doing things the LEGAL way.
There is however no proof that any laws were broken just speculation on the part of the pro-illegal side so that they could find a loophole to challenge with. They do this with every effort made to put a crimp in their agendas.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There is however no proof that any laws were broken just speculation on the part of the pro-illegal side so that they could find a loophole to challenge with. They do this with every effort made to put a crimp in their agendas.

There is already an existing path to Citizenship for the dreamers even if they do not prefer it. If they had done that to begin they would already be citizens.There are people nearly 40 that have been testing our laws. Instead, they choose the difficult, even impossible path of trying to change the existing laws.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:38 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
The stakes on having a referendum are high and go way beyond the Dream Act, that's just referendum Act One.

Next up on the docket is gay marriage which didn't get out of the House of Delegates this year. Gov. O'Malley came out in suport of gay marriage legislation a couple weeks ago. That is another law that will be taken to referendum, something that likely won't happen if the Dream Act referendum is declared void.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
Would you like to offer your opinion on the racist brown supremacist group CASA of Maryland (CASA de Maryland)?
Not really, I'm not using their website to back any of my arguments, so why should I?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:03 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Don't hold your breath. Anything from a source opposed to illegal immigration is a racist white group according to them. While they totally ignore the racist brown supremists groups like the above and the NCLR, LULAC, Mecha and even the more radical reconquista ones. Of course there are white racist groups also but the CIS is not one of them. To equate them with the KKK, Stormfront, etc. is totally ridiculous.
If you don't think the CIS is racist you've got your head in the sand.

As for NCLR, LULAC, whatever, maybe they are racist, I don't really care, there are tons of other racist groups I haven't mentioned because NOBODY IN THIS THREAD IS USING THEIR PROPAGANDA TO BACK THEIR ARGUMENTS.

Pointing out that a source YOU use is (to be generous) questionable doesn't obligate me to make an EXHAUSTIVE LIST of every hate group in the universe. GMAB.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Oh wow, another link from a white supremacist website. Gee, where does anyone get the idea that there are racist posters on this site???

you got it, I get that feeling each and everytime I see a liberal/democrat voter put a post up on the board.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:42 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you got it, I get that feeling each and everytime I see a liberal/democrat voter put a post up on the board.
Me to, especially those with an obvious ethnocentric agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration