Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:08 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Looks like just another sob story for illegal aliens trying to sway Americans to accept this invasion. No thanks, we aren't fooled. I'd like to see a movie made about all the Americans who have lost their jobs, were victims of I.D. theft and other crimes and the added tax burdens that they have had to endure due to this illegal invasion. I won't hold my breath though. Would that kind of movie appeal to you as much as this one apparently does?
Illegals only take low skill and low education jobs, if they left I doubt most of these jobs would pay above minimum wage. Also, those who have bachelor's degrees and Master's degrees who can't find jobs are not even affected by illegals, so I wouldn't blame everything on illegals when it comes to the job crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 04:01 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Illegals only take low skill and low education jobs, if they left I doubt most of these jobs would pay above minimum wage. Also, those who have bachelor's degrees and Master's degrees who can't find jobs are not even affected by illegals, so I wouldn't blame everything on illegals when it comes to the job crisis.
You'd be dead wrong then. We have our own low skilled and less educated that would fill those jobs. Who do you think did them before millions of illegals came here? I am not claiming that it would affect most white collared workers but it certainly would open up many jobs for our blue collared workforce.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
You'd be dead wrong then. We have our own low skilled and less educated that would fill those jobs. Who do you think did them before millions of illegals came here? I am not claiming that it would affect most white collared workers but it certainly would open up many jobs for our blue collared workforce.
Like I said in the other thread those jobs would still pay quite low considering their low skill, low education type jobs (just like the food factories that now use e-verify). Also, if those people are so desperate why don't they apply for those jobs now? I have seen some business men being interviewed on Spanish stations, they ask the owners how many Americans apply as fruit pickers and they said hardly any if at all. Some people claim it's because the jobs pay little, but what do they expect to make for picking fruits, $15 an hour?

Also, if I'm not mistaken haven't mostly immigrants done these type of jobs even several decades ago (Chinese, Japanese, Irish etc).

Last edited by Canaan-84; 08-11-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Like I said in the other thread those jobs would still pay quite low considering their low skill, low education type jobs (just like the food factories that now use e-verify). Also, if those people are so desperate why don't they apply for those jobs now? I have seen some business men being interviewed on Spanish stations, they ask the owners how many Americans apply as fruit pickers and they said hardly any if at all. Some people claim it's because the jobs pay little, but what do they expect to make for picking fruits, $15 an hour?

Also, if I'm not mistaken haven't mostly immigrants done these type of jobs even several decades ago (Chinese, Japanese, Irish etc).
So what? As I said most of our low skilled, less educated would take those jobs just like like they use to do them before the illegals came here. Those jobs are all sewed up by illegals or those Americans who are Spanish speakers so they can communicate with one another. What makes you think that non-hispanic Americans aren't apply for those jobs also?

Oh please with the fruit picking argument. Sure most Americans won't do that for a living but they will do just about every other job that these illegals are holding. Only 3% of illegals are picking crops anyway. The farmers don't even have to use illegal aliens for those jobs as they have at their disposal unlimited visas for foreign crop pickers. They use illegals because they work cheap and the farmer increases his profits.

Yes, Americans from all walks of life living in rural areas used to pick crops however it is back breaking work, out in the sun all day, is only seasonal and therefore is not a lifelong career. Most Americans today value an education where they can make a decent living. However, we still have our own less skilled and educated that will do most blue collared jobs sans crop picking. They always have.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
So what? As I said most of our low skilled, less educated would take those jobs just like like they use to do them before the illegals came here. Those jobs are all sewed up by illegals or those Americans who are Spanish speakers so they can communicate with one another. What makes you think that non-hispanic Americans aren't apply for those jobs also?

Oh please with the fruit picking argument. Sure most Americans won't do that for a living but they will do just about every other job that these illegals are holding. Only 3% of illegals are picking crops anyway. The farmers don't even have to use illegal aliens for those jobs as they have at their disposal unlimited visas for foreign crop pickers. They use illegals because they work cheap and the farmer increases his profits.

Yes, Americans from all walks of life living in rural areas used to pick crops however it is back breaking work, out in the sun all day, is only seasonal and therefore is not a lifelong career. Most Americans today value an education where they can make a decent living. However, we still have our own less skilled and educated that will do most blue collared jobs sans crop picking. They always have.
Then why don't we see more Americans doing those jobs if they are applying? There's not a single white American working in packaging in the food factory my mother is working at (in the offices there are white people, but not in the harder back breaking work) and that company hires quite often since not many people stay for long. I guess they don't like the heavy lifting as they have to lift 45-50lbs boxes (and it's women doing it) with only getting paid $8.85 an hour. I realize this is merely anecdotal information, but it's one example such as your construction worker example.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:22 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times
Quote:
Then why don't we see more Americans doing those jobs if they are applying? There's not a single white American working in packaging in the food factory my mother is working at (in the offices there are white people, but not in the harder back breaking work) and that company hires quite often since not many people stay for long. I guess they don't like the heavy lifting as they have to lift 45-50lbs boxes (and it's women doing it) with only getting paid $8.85 an hour. I realize this is merely anecdotal information, but it's one example such as your construction worker example.
It appears as if you are limiting Americans as only "white". Are you insinuating that all the "back-breaking work" is being done by illegal aliens? If so, do you have proof all the "non-white" workers are illegal?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I already told you why. White and black Americans don't get hired because many of these low waged jobs are going to legal and illegal Hispanics who can speak Spanish to communicate with one another. You will find this predominant in the southwest especially.

When there was a raid on a meat packing in Iowa I believe and all the illegals let go there were hundreds of Americans who lined up for those jobs. Don't you get out much?

You speak utter nonsense claiming that Americans won't do jobs where there is heavy lifting involved. I have seen Americans of all walks of life working for UPS for example where there is a lot of heavy lifting involved. Get over your stereotyping of Americans being lazy workers. This country didn't get built by lazy Americans city on a porch all day sipping tea.

Employers have no right to hire illegal aliens period, regardless if some or many are hard workers. What part of that don't you get? Do you think we don't have a right to set quotas on our immigration numbers?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
It appears as if you are limiting Americans as only "white". Are you insinuating that all the "back-breaking work" is being done by illegal aliens? If so, do you have proof all the "non-white" workers are illegal?
I realize that, it's because the majority of Americans are still white. As far as I know the majority of Hispanics who work there are mainly residents, but a large number were illegal before getting their residencies. Then the company implemented e-verify a few years back but for some reason it's mostly Hispanics who continue to apply there. My question is if there are so many desperate Non-Hispanic Americans looking for jobs why don't they apply to a job like this?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I realize that, it's because the majority of Americans are still white. As far as I know the majority of Hispanics who work there are mainly residents, but a large number were illegal before getting their residencies. Then the company implemented e-verify a few years back but for some reason it's mostly Hispanics who continue to apply there. My question is if there are so many desperate Non-Hispanic Americans looking for jobs why don't they apply to a job like this?
Your story doesn't ring true with me as I know many white, blue collared Americans seeking work wherever they can find it. As I said, once a company hires a lot of Hispanics both legal and illegal they won't hire white or black Americans for various reasons (none of which is because Hispanics work harder either). After awhile non-hispanics can see the handwriting on the wall and just plain give up applying at certain places.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:36 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Looks like just another sob story for illegal aliens trying to sway Americans to accept this invasion. No thanks, we aren't fooled. I'd like to see a movie made about all the Americans who have lost their jobs, were victims of I.D. theft and other crimes and the added tax burdens that they have had to endure due to this illegal invasion. I won't hold my breath though. Would that kind of movie appeal to you as much as this one apparently does?
Thank you! I am SICK of illegal alien sob stories. There are far too many suffering citizens to be concerned about foreigners who have absolutely no respect for us, and laugh in our faces as they fleece this nation, while telling us to take a flying leap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration