U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:17 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Excellent point Malamute. It's pretty sad that they understand that they are taking a job from a citizen yet criticize someone that would do the same thing to them.

Yet we are labeled for recognizing what is going on.
I don't know if the actual illegal really sees it as taking a job from an American. They see it as just taking a job and as their own president (Fox) would tell them -- they're taking a job that Americans, even black Americans think they're too good to do. That was right before he came out with the Memin Pinguin postage stamp.

I think a whole lot of illegals have been convinced they are entitled to these jobs. They believe these jobs don't belong to Americans -- but also don't belong to Ethiopians or Somalians who might just do them for less wages.

That's why the low wages argument doesn't work - there are people who would work for $0.50 an hour and $4.00 a day would beat anything they have at home. Of course some open-borders proponents will admit that driving down wages to third world levels is exactly their goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,007,032 times
You know Fox isn't the president of Mexico right?

Old 08-14-2011, 06:25 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Fortunately I never was there. Never has the human race been all about "one world" except during the dictatorships and empires and they fall apart.

Even before there were countries, people lived in tribes that fought one another. It's simply not feasible, never will be. People naturally have different languages, different histories as a people, different cultures as a result.

The "no countries" mentality isn't even what the illegals have. One illegal neighbor of mine even said that he thought maybe there shouldn't be an amnesty because so many Central Americans would show up, he actually said that a Mexican has to have more money to live on, but Central Americans would do his job for less money.

At least the smart illegals really don't believe in allowing the entire world to show up here and take jobs -- because it could even be THEIR jobs someone would take. And then there are the people who believe infinite numbers of jobs can be simply pulled out of the air -- but there's been no evidence of that in several years now.
Mexicans are among the most nationalistic people. Try and tell them that their country doesn't exist because of some "imaginary" line. I think one would get an earful in here.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:30 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Mexicans are among the most nationalistic people. Try and tell them that their country doesn't exist because of some "imaginary" line. I think one would get an earful in here.
Good point. Especially those who really love their country and live in it, work to make it better - but even ironically those who live here who love the dollars more than their homeland wouldn't say there is no Mexico.

In fact many seem to believe Mexico existed before it did and that it encompassed all of North America and that Aztecs ruled over it. Mexico didn't really exist until the Spaniards came and started claiming certain territory that was later sold off.

Even back before the Spaniards' arrival, I'm sure there were some imaginary lines that people fought over and would agree to stay on one side or the other for the sake of peace. Except those Aztecs, they were known to raid and burn the villages of others in their search for sacrificial victims. Respecting borders means peace.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,388,165 times
Quote:
Good point. Especially those who really love their country and live in it, work to make it better - but even ironically those who live here who love the dollars more than their homeland wouldn't say there is no Mexico.

In fact many seem to believe Mexico existed before it did and that it encompassed all of North America and that Aztecs ruled over it. Mexico didn't really exist until the Spaniards came and started claiming certain territory that was later sold off.

Even back before the Spaniards' arrival, I'm sure there were some imaginary lines that people fought over and would agree to stay on one side or the other for the sake of peace. Except those Aztecs, they were known to raid and burn the villages of others in their search for sacrificial victims. Respecting borders means peace.

I guess they cared more about money than they did about the future of their families even back then.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:46 PM

1,574 posts, read 791,268 times
It's funny how some people who are the quickest to play the THIS CONVERSATION IS OFF TOPIC card are so eager to wander off into totally irrelevant conversations about particular people's circumstances.

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:

Exactly! Many Mexican-Americans still consider themselves Mexicans even after having being here for decades and in fact born here. If Mexico isn't a nation but an "imaginary" line in the sand then they are in for a rude awakening.

The native tribes all had their own tribal territories and they weren't "imaginary" lines. They fought among themselves to protect those so-called "imaginary" lines from intrusion by other tribes.

951 posts, read 617,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I guess they cared more about money than they did about the future of their families even back then.

Yeah and neither did any of the immigrants coming here back then either.

I can't wait for your explanation as to the differences between their immigration to North America and the immigration of our ancestors.

Last edited by huddledmasses; 08-14-2011 at 06:55 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 06:51 PM

951 posts, read 617,593 times
Quote:

Or taken. Did you know heroes like David Crockett, Sam Houston, and Jim Bowie were ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!?!?

Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 PM

335 posts, read 281,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Or taken. Did you know heroes like David Crockett, Sam Houston, and Jim Bowie were ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!?!?
Even if true, who cares? We live in the 21st century, not the 19th century. Does it really matter today that some laws might have been violated by American citizens hundreds of years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or