U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 PM

515 posts, read 605,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Immigrant doesn't imply legality. That's just orwellian newspeak language engineering on your part.
You need to read the actual words written by Eric and try to comprehend his message and warning.

Newspeak, in fact, is constantly used by the supporters of the hordes* of criminal invaders..."undocumented worker" and "immigrant" are just two examples of the twisting of our words by the traitors.

We who simply insist that our laws be upheld and enforced are downright plain speakers of English. We say precisely what we mean..."Oldspeak", if you will.

"Immigrant" means a person who is legally within our borders with our collective consent.

Illegals do not have our consent, have broken our laws and certainly did not immigrate (as you stated elsewhere). They criminally sneaked across one of our borders or overstayed their student or tourist visa.

*Hordes: vast numbers. In this case the estimates range between 11 and 20 million.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Really hypocritical that this person is getting their panties all in a wad about being misquoted or someone claiming they said something that they say they didn't say when this very same person did it to me many times over. Most recently this morning and even implied that I am a racist. I am glad we have moderators to settle this.
Hey, chicagonut, if you want to comment on my posting you should take me off ignore. The way you constantly post about how you're ignoring person X or person Y and yet still comment on their posts is pretty cowardly IMO.

Let's face it: the only reason you put me on ignore is that you can't handle the truth.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
You need to read the actual words written by Eric and try to comprehend his message and warning.

Newspeak, in fact, is constantly used by the supporters of the hordes* of criminal invaders..."undocumented worker" and "immigrant" are just two examples of the twisting of our words by the traitors.

We who simply insist that our laws be upheld and enforced are downright plain speakers of English. We say precisely what we mean..."Oldspeak", if you will.

"Immigrant" means a person who is legally within our borders with our collective consent.

Illegals do not have our consent, have broken our laws and certainly did not immigrate (as you stated elsewhere). They criminally sneaked across one of our borders or overstayed their student or tourist visa.

*Hordes: vast numbers. In this case the estimates range between 11 and 20 million.
Please provide a citation for this "plain" meaning of immigrant. I looked in four dictionaries and none of them said anything about legality or consent.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Dan Gambardella Memorial Page | Facebook

I can not believe the direction this thread took.

Above I have posted the FB page Danny's wife created. Despite the fact that he was murdered by a drunken, unlicensed, undocumented law breaker, his family has taken the high road which this drunken POS did not.

Arraignment is Wednesday. If you wish to send an email in support ofbthe family, asking that the undocumented, unlicensed man who chose to drive drunk be punished to the fullest extent permissible, please do so.

I attended a small (by Long Island standards) high school which has lost alumni in situations which have gained national prominence -- terrorism, war on drugs, illegal immigration. Seven died on 9/11; P.O. Eddie Byrnes was murdered in his patrol car guarding a drug informer (it was huge national news in the late 80's) and now Danny, who would still be alive if the drunk driver who killed him never crossed our border.
Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your friend, Danny.

May he rest in peace.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,915,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Look, I feel bad for your friend. I really do, and I'm sorry you lost a friend as well. However, I'm not going to hop on board and hate all illegals because of this incident. His illegal status didn't kill this guy, his BAC followed by decision to drive combined with the inability to drive did. I'm sure I share the same disdain for all drunk drivers that you do as I have had a friend involved in an accident who was in a coma for several months. I do not, however hate everyone that drinks, just because he was hit by a drinker.
The purpose of the thread was not to make you hate illegals, but to share the pain experienced within our community because of a criminal act committed by a criminal.

If the border jumper had stayed in his home country, my classmate would be alive.

If our government did not condone this activity by turning a blind eye, a man who was a husband, father, friend and coach to many, would still be alive.

To add insult to injury, the taxpayers will pay to seek justice for an incident which shouldn't have occurred if the government had enforced immigration laws.

As is known to many on this board, I support legal immigration. Illegal immigration affected my business when other guys hired cheap day laborers and undercut me, but until my classmate was killed, illegal immigration never had a face I could recognize. Those of you reading this -- whichever side of the debate -- I pray you never have the fallout of illegal immigration permanently impact your life.

God bless Danny and his family.

May justice be served.

The first broken law -- entering into the country illegally -- snowballed into a succession of more broken laws and ultimately, broken hearts.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Please provide a citation for this "plain" meaning of immigrant. I looked in four dictionaries and none of them said anything about legality or consent.
Then I am left to conclude that you have as big a problem with reading comprehension of dictionaries as you have with the writing of Eric Blair!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
Then I am left to conclude that you have as big a problem with reading comprehension of dictionaries as you have with the writing of Eric Blair!
I mean, you're making it sound like it's sooooo obvious, so you should be able to easily provide a link.

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 : Immigrant \Im"mi*grant\, n. [L. immigrans, p. pr. of immigrare to go into: cf. F. immigrant. See Immigrate.] One who immigrates; one who comes to a country for the purpose of permanent residence; -- correlative of emigrant.

From WordNet (r) 2.0 : immigrant n : a person who comes to a country where they were not born in order to settle there

from dictionary.com:
im·mi·grant

   [im-i-gruhnt] Show IPA
noun 1. a person who migrates to another country, usually for permanent residence.

Merriam-Webster:

Definition of IMMIGRANT

: one that immigrates: as a : a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence

OK, then. I mean, I'm a big fan of using plain language, so tell me where I can find this plain definition that includes legality and consent.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The purpose of the thread was not to make you hate illegals, but to share the pain experienced within our community because of a criminal act committed by a criminal.
That would be a fantastic thread. I think people who drive drunk and kill others are definitely bad people. So I went back and looked at the OP.

Quote:
Why must our government continue turning a blind eye to those who choose not to obey our laws from the moment they enter this country?
Oh wow, right from the start you were using a real human tragedy as a springboard to drive your political agenda, and demonize a whole class of people because one of them did something everyone agrees is bad.

But of course, anyone who calls you on this cheap, classless tactic is labeled a "defender" of drunk drivers.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 PM

Illegal Immigrant Saves 9-Year-Old's Life (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/11/24/illegal-immigrant-saves-9_n_73940.html - broken link)

Quote:
Illegal Immigrant Saves 9-Year-Old's Life

AP:

A 9-year-old boy looking for help after his mother crashed their van in the southern Arizona desert was rescued by a man entering the U.S. illegally, who stayed with him until help arrived the next day, an official said.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:09 PM

5,200 posts, read 4,110,607 times
Quote:
That would be a fantastic thread. I think people who drive drunk and kill others are definitely bad people. So I went back and looked at the OP.

Oh wow, right from the start you were using a real human tragedy as a springboard to drive your political agenda, and demonize a whole class of people because one of them did something everyone agrees is bad.

But of course, anyone who calls you on this cheap, classless tactic is labeled a "defender" of drunk drivers.
WT, you are lower than snake urine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or