Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:26 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
How much should we spend on fixing this problem in your opinion?

How much do we owe the illegal aliens do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:28 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

Not wanting to make it easy for foreign terrorists to infiltrate our country is NOT the same thing as FORGETTING Oklahoma City. I live only one state away and was 20 when it happened, so it's UNLIKELY I'll FORGET it EVER.

How DARE you.
What is your infallible solution to preventing terrorism of any sort (foreign and domestic) from happening? By not including OKC among what is perceived as a terrorist attack is "forgetting" it (the OP did say that Americans wouldn't do terrorism). BTW, age and a location a state away doesn't gage an impact that a terrorist act can have on someone, you can be near or far, or of any age to be affected.

"chicagonut" is very correct that I have a military background, and served in both the Army and Navy for the better part of the last 25 years. I've been in some fairly nasty places in the service of this great country, fighting an often faceless enemy that came too close to taking my life on at least one occasion. My brothers-in-arms and I have been fully changed by the impact of terrorism, and have made sacrifices that you will never know.

Yes, I DARED to go where many would, or did, not...

As part of that duty, I made my respects at the OKC Memorial site after it was erected. It's a fitting tribute to our memories of the people that died there. Don't put me or my military service with the man that did that horrendous act, against even the littlest of children...

Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
What is your infallible solution to preventing terrorism of any sort (foreign and domestic) from happening? By not including OKC among what is perceived as a terrorist attack is "forgetting" it (the OP did say that Americans wouldn't do terrorism). BTW, age and a location a state away doesn't gage an impact that a terrorist act can have on someone, you can be near or far, or of any age to be affected.

"chicagonut" is very correct that I have a military background, and served in both the Army and Navy for the better part of the last 25 years. I've been in some fairly nasty places in the service of this great country, fighting an often faceless enemy that came too close to taking my life on at least one occasion. My brothers-in-arms and I have been fully changed by the impact of terrorism, and have made sacrifices that you will never know.

Yes, I DARED to go where many would, or did, not...

As part of that duty, I made my respects at the OKC Memorial site after it was erected. It's a fitting tribute to our memories of the people that died there. Don't put me or my military service with the man that did that horrendous act, against even the littlest of children...
How is "not including OKC among what is perceived as a terrorist attack as "forgetting" it" when the subject is about foreign terrorists entering our porous southern border and not domestic terrorists? We haven't forgetten the OKC attack anymore than any other domestic terrorist act but what has that to do with terrorism happening due to our unsecured border? One we couldn't prevent, the one we can.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
How is "not including OKC among what is perceived as a terrorist attack as "forgetting" it" when the subject is about foreign terrorists entering our porous southern border and not domestic terrorists? We haven't forgetten the OKC attack anymore than any other domestic terrorist act but what has that to do with terrorism happening due to our unsecured border? One we couldn't prevent, the one we can.
If we do nothing but entirely closing the whole ¨porous southern border¨, how much future terrorism will we ¨prevent¨? I´m not looking for specifics, just a round-number guestimate of a percentage. 100%? 75%? 50%?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
The OP was (in entirety):

¨I guess Terrorism & crime are jobs Americans won't do , finally the president is right about something.¨

When terrorism is committed by an American on U.S. soil, it is the ¨domestic¨ variety. Sure, with some programs both forms of terrorism can be reduced, but the risk never fully quashed (OKC was also very preventable if we had taken heed from the signs, and did start some changes, i.e. watchfulness on fertilizer sales, that are still with us). What benefit is only focusing on foreign terrorism?

Besides, the OP made the indefensible statement that Americans don´t commit crimes too...

Old 08-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
If we do nothing but entirely closing the whole ¨porous southern border¨, how much future terrorism will we ¨prevent¨? I´m not looking for specifics, just a round-number guestimate of a percentage. 100%? 75%? 50%?
Who said anything about "closing" the border? There will always be legal ports of entry. There is no way of knowing the percentages of deterring terrorist entry if we secure our borders better but the fact remains that it would decrease the possibility of their entry in that manner.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
The OP was (in entirety):

¨I guess Terrorism & crime are jobs Americans won't do , finally the president is right about something.¨

When terrorism is committed by an American on U.S. soil, it is the ¨domestic¨ variety. Sure, with some programs both forms of terrorism can be reduced, but the risk never fully quashed (OKC was also very preventable if we had taken heed from the signs, and did start some changes, i.e. watchfulness on fertilizer sales, that are still with us). What benefit is only focusing on foreign terrorism?

Besides, the OP made the indefensible statement that Americans don´t commit crimes too...
Citizens do commit crimes and some commit terrorist acts also. I have never said otherwise. It benefits us to be watchful of both domestic and foreign terrorist acts. We should indeed be watchful of citizens who display this kind of mindset. One of the ways to prevent terrorism from foriengers is to know who is entering our country and for what reason. That can't be accomplished with unsecured borders and people coming here illegally. I mean as a military man this should be elementry to you but I guess it isn't.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about "closing" the border? There will always be legal ports of entry. There is no way of knowing the percentages of deterring terrorist entry if we secure our borders better but the fact remains that it would decrease the possibility of their entry in that manner.
I´m asking if we solely closed the entire southern border (absolutely nothing can get through), how much future foreign terrorism would it ¨prevent¨?...

It´s an easy answer, when you understand how terrorists adapt...

Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I guess Terrorism & crime are jobs Americans won't do , finally the president is right about something.

now only if they would get (all) the troops out of afghanistan and iraq and place them on the border.. wait a minute thats to logical, forgot we are dealing with morons on the hill

Old 08-13-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I´m asking if we solely closed the entire southern border (absolutely nothing can get through), how much future foreign terrorism would it ¨prevent¨?...

It´s an easy answer, when you understand how terrorists adapt...
Again, who said anything about closing our entire southern border? Reading comprehension problem, much? Securing it better would "deter" terrorists from entering our country in THAT manner. So unless absolutely no terrorists can get through then we shouldn't even try to stop as many as we can at our borders?

We should pull out all the stops to secure our country from terrorists acts and part of that should be to secure both of our borders as much as possible. Elementary my dear, elementary. Me thinks thou protests too much because of your obvious agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration