U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:29 AM

951 posts, read 619,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
And you cry brown tears.

It is about them being illegal, you brought up the Canadians, we just brought up their linguistic skills which further enhances the illegals' (who can't speak correctly) inability to assimilate. Whatever your language is, that is not English, inhibits communication. In other words, at least Canadians assist in our countries growth and prosperity. People who can't communicate cannot be an asset.
lol citation definitely needed - I know there are farmers in GA losing up to $1 Billion this summer who were doing just fine with these immigrants.

BTW, we have a thread going linked to a study showing that they are assimilating at a faster rate than our ancestors did so you may want to just quit with that whole bit about them not assimilating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,967,072 times
Quote:
And you cry brown tears.

It is about them being illegal, you brought up the Canadians, we just brought up their linguistic skills which further enhances the illegals' (who can't speak correctly) inability to assimilate. Whatever your language is, that is not English, inhibits communication. In other words, at least Canadians assist in our countries growth and prosperity. People who can't communicate cannot be an asset.
Yes, why bring up Canadians, if you don't want it pointed out that they assimilate better because they already know the language. Just like there are probably some illegals from India but they aren't as unwilling to learn English.

Of course when people show up by the millions illegally AND insist on being catered to in their own language, they are going to be less liked -- but it wouldn't matter where they came from, if 30 million Greeks showed up here illegally and demanded all their government services, be provided them in Greek, people would not be happy about it.

It's kind of interesting that the very large group of illegals who insist on everything being given them in their own language and claim they have an ethnic right to break the laws of this land, can then turn around and insist that it's just about discrimination against them because of where they're from, which nation's flag they push in our faces. It's THEY who are making that the issue.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:42 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,134,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, why bring up Canadians, if you don't want it pointed out that they assimilate better because they already know the language. Just like there are probably some illegals from India but they aren't as unwilling to learn English.

Of course when people show up by the millions illegally AND insist on being catered to in their own language, they are going to be less liked -- but it wouldn't matter where they came from, if 30 million Greeks showed up here illegally and demanded all their government services, be provided them in Greek, people would not be happy about it.

It's kind of interesting that the very large group of illegals who insist on everything being given them in their own language and claim they have an ethnic right to break the laws of this land, can then turn around and insist that it's just about discrimination against them because of where they're from, which nation's flag they push in our faces. It's THEY who are making that the issue.
Great point!

Certainly Germans could have demanded we all speak German. Just a few years ago they had more descendants than any other people. As I said earlier, why don't we speak Gaelic? Even the president is part Irish. Scottish, Welsh also spoke Gaelic.

If you don't want to conform to our culture, speak our language, or obey our laws, just stay away. Leave us alone, no room at the inn.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
So you're just pointing out that you basically don't have issues with illegals that speak English?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:49 AM

1,574 posts, read 793,925 times
Quote:
And you cry brown tears.

Hilarious. You insist it's about them being illegal... then in the same paragraph just ramble about language.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:

* I didn't bring up canadians
* It doesn't matter if canadians assimilate faster
* I don't care if you "like" them
* I'm not surprised you don't like Greeks either.
* Citations needed on "inisist everything being given them in their own language" and "claim they have an ethnic right to break the laws".

I am sure there are lots of people who VOLUNTARILY do business in spanish as a competitive technique. That doesn't have anything to do with supposed phantom demands that white people learn spanish or that everything be handed over to immigrants.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Great point!

Certainly Germans could have demanded we all speak German. Just a few years ago they had more descendants than any other people. As I said earlier, why don't we speak Gaelic? Even the president is part Irish. Scottish, Welsh also spoke Gaelic.

If you don't want to conform to our culture, speak our language, or obey our laws, just stay away. Leave us alone, no room at the inn.
It's great when I post something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Nobody is suggesting that you learn spanish. I mean I get that it just drives some people crazy to see spanish on shampoo bottles, but don't worry, they aren't going to stop using english on soap anytime soon.

Anyway, thank you for proving my point, this ultimately doesn't have squat to do with the legality of the immigrants. It's about who they are and that we don't like them.
and then people rush in, tripping over themselves to prove my point. Again.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:54 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,134,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
So you're just pointing out that you basically don't have issues with illegals that speak English?
Less, yes, at least I can say something once without hand signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Hilarious. You insist it's about them being illegal... then in the same paragraph just ramble about language.
Just like you did in the same sentence?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:57 AM

Hmmm you can't tell the difference between rhymetime and I now either? I didn't ramble about language either, I was asking malamute a question about his ramblings on language.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:23 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,031,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, I would like proof that more OTM's have come through our northern border "illegally" than our southern one. I'll be waiting. The 9/11 hijackers came with visas, they didn't come here illegally. Another thing is that millions of Canadians have not come through our northern border illegaly as millions of Mexicans have come through our southern border illegally. If you have proof otherwise, please provide it.
An "OTM" has to be illegal to be "Other Than Mexican"? When a visa overstay goes out-of-status, are they finally called an "OTM" if they aren't Mexican? I didn't attempt to classify any immigration status an "Other Than Mexican" would have for my statement, maybe I shouldn't have been so literal for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration