Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 02:42 PM

951 posts, read 742,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averyjamison View Post
Please provide the exact wording of the law because this ain't it.,, only YOUR interpretation. Good grief.

Quote:
."B. FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY
21 OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS
22 STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS
23 UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE,
24 WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON...."
What is reasonable suspicion that a person is illegal not based on race or the fact that most illegals are Hispanic as is pointed out in every single thread?

Waiting to hear all these clues as to status to give a cop a reason to walk up and card you that are not based on racial profiling...

Old 08-15-2011, 02:50 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,403,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
The bill in Arizona isn't limited to people driving a car. It gives the police the power to stop ANYONE they "reasonably suspect" may be illegally in the country (even if they aren't suspected of any other crime) and arrest them if they don't have any documentation.
Still didn't read the law I see.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,013,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
In other words, your comments weren’t actually in response to anything she said. Rather, it was an attempt to portray our immigration laws as being discriminatory.
No, it was actually based on what she actually said.

Here's what she ACTUALLY SAID:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
*If we dare make laws to ask for proof of legality in this country when a Hispanic is stopped during lawful contact with LE and can't produce a valid DL or other I.D. it is racial profiling!
She doesn't mention a specific law here, so I didn't assume she was talking about a specific law. I guess I should have JUMPED TO A CONCLUSION???

From what she ACTUALLY WROTE, I would argue YES, demanding documentation from Hispanics is racial profiling. I don't see how this is even controversial. She is the one that chose to word it the way she did.

Quote:
But, when asked to post said discriminatory laws, you can’t, so you pretend your comments were in response to an ASSUMED hypothetical law by chicagonut, despite the fact that she had not said or implied anything to give the impression that she was referencing a hypothetical law. In fact, she actually mentioned a REAL law, SB1070. C’mon, let’s not play game.
Wait, where did she mention SB1070? Oh that's right, AFTER I said the things you're all bent out of shape over.

Keep grasping at those straws.

Here's let's just cut to the chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
*If we dare make laws to ask for proof of legality in this country when a Hispanic is stopped during lawful contact with LE and can't produce a valid DL or other I.D. it is racial profiling!
Is that racial profiling in your opinion? Why or why not?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
Talk about nit-picking! What are you going to do next? Start debating about what the definition of "is" is?
Last time I checked I'm not required to have any documentation to visit Arizona or any other US state.

Do you think US citizens should be jailed for not carrying papers?

Yes or no, please.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Still didn't read the law I see.
Yeah, I'm right about that.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
What is reasonable suspicion that a person is illegal not based on race or the fact that most illegals are Hispanic as is pointed out in every single thread?

Waiting to hear all these clues as to status to give a cop a reason to walk up and card you that are not based on racial profiling...
Maybe the fact that they have no ID and can't speak a word of English?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:58 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,636,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Maybe the fact that they have no ID and can't speak a word of English?
You have to speak English to be an American. Only in rare cases the elderly are pardoned.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Last time I checked I'm not required to have any documentation to visit Arizona or any other US state.

Do you think US citizens should be jailed for not carrying papers?

Yes or no, please.
The next time a cop asks you for ID tell him you don't have any and it's none of his business who you are and see what happens. LE can LAWFULLY detain you until they find out who you are.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You have to speak English to be an American. Only in rare cases the elderly are pardoned.
No you don't, but it is reasonable suspicion when you combine no ID and no speaky English.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm right about that.
Yeah.....NOT!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration