U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:12 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
How are those at all contradictory?

The way you use "easing our standards" here implies that our current standards are primarily focused on keeping rapists, murderers, pedophiles, and drunk drivers out of the country. And I know you like to imply that illegals are all rapists and murderers and pedophiles and drunk drivers, but it's quite simply not true. But hey, we all know the truth is just inconvenient and should be ignored when it gets in the way of political agendas. I mean, just look at your record of lying about what studies say about illegals and drunk driving.
There you go twisting my words again. I have NEVER said that ALL illegals are rapists, murderers, pedophiles, or drunk drivers. However, MANY are; which is a very inconvenient truth you choose to ignore.

I did NOT lie about the drunk-driving study. Again, YOU choose to ignore the facts, because otherwise, you would have to face reality. And, no, I am NOT going to spend valuable time trying to locate the original study. If you’re that concerned, do the research yourself.

You whined about a “local news channel” being the source of the video and article I posted, implying they lack credibility. Name one good reason for them to fabricate the study. What could they possibly gain from doing such, other than a lawsuit from the University of North Carolina?

Well, here’s a USAToday article. Does this source meet your credibility standards? Or, must it be a study commissioned by Pew or La Raza to be considered legitimate?

Quote:
North Carolina is trying to combat a major problem among young Hispanic men drawn to the state by plentiful jobs: drunken-driving rates two to three times as high as those of other groups.

According to the University of North Carolina's Highway Safety Research Center, 7.04% of Hispanic drivers involved in crashes in the state in 2005 were suspected of driving while intoxicated. That compares with 2.82% of whites in crashes and 2.29% of African-Americans, according to Eric Rodgman, a researcher at the center. Most of the Hispanics involved in crashes are young men, he says.
Quote:
El Pueblo is working with the North Carolina Governor's Highway Safety Program in an effort to reduce the disproportionate number of highway fatalities and injuries among Hispanic drivers in the state by increasing awareness of driving laws and safety issues.

Nationally, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for Hispanics age 1-34 but only the eighth leading cause for Americans overall, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Quote:
North Carolina is one of several states trying to address the disparity in highway death rates through community outreach and education efforts:
Anti-drunken-driving efforts aimed at Latinos - USATODAY.com
Contributing: Associated Press

Here’s a related article from NPR. . . .

Quote:
The influx of Hispanic immigrants to some parts of the U.S. has led to a problem on the highways. In many states, Hispanics account for a disproportionate number of drunk driving deaths. In North Carolina where the Latino population has grown by more than a third in this decade, alcohol-related crashes have become a leading killer of Latinos. And as NPR's Adam Hochberg reports, community groups are trying to reverse that trend.

Nationwide, Latinos rank second only to Native Americans and their alcohol death rate on the highway. The extent of the problem varies from state to state, but community leaders say it seems worse in places where Latinos have newly immigrated.
Drinking and Driving Plagues Latino Immigrants : NPR

Yes, I suppose they are all lying . . . the local NC news channel, USAToday, Associated Press, and NPR. That’s right . . . it’s a conspiracy to demonize Hispanics, particularly, “immigrants.”

Old 08-16-2011, 03:46 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,383,008 times
Quote:
Nope. I don't need one either.

Do you have a solution for what should be done with them OVER THERE?

Do you think it's ridiculous that you should have to come up with a solution for what should be done with them OVER THERE?

Wow, I didn't even say that BECAUSE YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME was the reason you were suggesting my position should be ignored.

Dude, that situation arises NO MATTER WHAT. So where's your solution to the same problem? What's your solution for what should be done with them if you keep them penned up over there?

My solution is let everyone find their own solution and stop asking for some fake know-it-all to "solve" their problems. There, how's that?

Holy cow. This is the ultimate circular logic, not to mention completely dodging the point.

Basically you've switched from some weird taxpayers pay $250k to create a job argument to "well the government lets people own businesses so therefore any restrictions the government wants to put on people are valid" argument. No sense at all. Basically under this argument, ANYTHING goes.

No I don't have a solution for what should be done with them over there. But I'm not suggesting they change their laws either. I guess my solution would be to let the Mexican people decide for themselves what changes need to be made.

My solution to the problem is enforcing our laws and protecting our border. As our laws currently dictate. It is none of my affair how they determine to work their problems out.

I have not "switched" from some weird taxpayers pay 250k per job scenario. I stand by it and have provided links. Unfortunately, you don't understand it or overlook it like so many others that share your view. This is why we end up with so many unintended consequences. Too many "act" today than realize their "mistakes" next week.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:48 PM

951 posts, read 616,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There you go twisting my words again. I have NEVER said that ALL illegals are rapists, murderers, pedophiles, or drunk drivers. However, MANY are; which is a very inconvenient truth you choose to ignore.

I did NOT lie about the drunk-driving study. Again, YOU choose to ignore the facts, because otherwise, you would have to face reality. And, no, I am NOT going to spend valuable time trying to locate the original study. If you’re that concerned, do the research yourself.

You whined about a “local news channel” being the source of the video and article I posted, implying they lack credibility. Name one good reason for them to fabricate the study. What could they possibly gain from doing such, other than a lawsuit from the University of North Carolina?

Well, here’s a USAToday article. Does this source meet your credibility standards? Or, must it be a study commissioned by Pew or La Raza to be considered legitimate?

Anti-drunken-driving efforts aimed at Latinos - USATODAY.com
Contributing: Associated Press

Here’s a related article from NPR. . . .

Yes, I suppose they are all lying . . . the local NC news channel, USAToday, Associated Press, and NPR. That’s right . . . it’s a conspiracy to demonize Hispanics, particularly, “immigrants.”
LOL None of those quotes say that the study determined that illegals are more prone to DUIs like you claimed yesterday, just Hispanics. Good job at proving yourself wrong.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:57 PM

1,574 posts, read 788,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I'm not ignoring it, and I didn't twist your words. You are clearly trying to draw an emotional-appealing link between "illegals" and "rapists, murderers, pedophiles, and drunk drivers". You basically use the two interchangably.

Quote:
The facts are that the news story DID NOT say what you claimed it did. I'm not going to source your wild claims. If you want to use a source to support your arguments, YOU do the legwork.

Quote:
No, I pointed out that the link was to a local news channel not to say they don't have any credibility but to point out that the link wasn't to the primary source. I don't have any issues with the credibility of the news station, especially considering that they didn't say what you said they said. Basically the party with the credibility issue is YOU, because you keep insisting that the study showed something but you haven't provided any evidence that it did.

Quote:

Hmm, again, none of this says anything about illegals.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:58 PM

1,574 posts, read 788,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
My solution to the problem is enforcing our laws and protecting our border. As our laws currently dictate. It is none of my affair how they determine to work their problems out.
How's that working out for you? I mean, you've got what you want RIGHT NOW and you're still up in arms about all the problems.

Quote:
I have not "switched" from some weird taxpayers pay 250k per job scenario. I stand by it and have provided links. Unfortunately, you don't understand it or overlook it like so many others that share your view.
Yeah, I understand it perfectly.

Quote:
This is why we end up with so many unintended consequences. Too many "act" today than realize their "mistakes" next week.
Possibly the most ironic sentence ever written in this forum.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
I like the fact that Benicar's search for this source has brought us to a point where she OBVIOUSLY did not verify the claim when she made it, and yet thinks that she can somehow prove herself honest by EVENTUALLY finding that source.

If I flip a coin behind my back and you tell me you know for sure that it's heads, and it just so happens to be heads, that doesn't mean you were not full of ****.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 PM

951 posts, read 616,515 times
Quote:
In b4 goalpost shift.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Well, if I had what I wanted I wouldn't need to be fighting for so hard for enforcement now would I?

I guess you have what you want?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the links Benicar. That is what we're seeing in my area as well.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:31 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
I'm not ignoring it, and I didn't twist your words. You are clearly trying to draw an emotional-appealing link between "illegals" and "rapists, murderers, pedophiles, and drunk drivers". You basically use the two interchangably.

The facts are that the news story DID NOT say what you claimed it did. I'm not going to source your wild claims. If you want to use a source to support your arguments, YOU do the legwork.

No, I pointed out that the link was to a local news channel not to say they don't have any credibility but to point out that the link wasn't to the primary source. I don't have any issues with the credibility of the news station, especially considering that they didn't say what you said they said. Basically the party with the credibility issue is YOU, because you keep insisting that the study showed something but you haven't provided any evidence that it did.

Quote:
Although drunken drivers come in all colors and from all cultures, an unusually high number of them in North Carolina are Hispanic immigrants.

“Crossing the Line” examines the high rate of drunken-driving accidents involving legal and illegal Hispanic immigrants and looks at the unique challenges law enforcement agencies and the court system faces in trying to punish undocumented immigrants for driving drunk.

Whatever the reasons, the alarming number of drunken-driving fatalities involving Hispanic drivers, especially illegal immigrants, has outraged victims’ families and some of North Carolina's leaders.
Focal Point: Crossing the Line :: WRAL.com

Quote:
The influx of Hispanic immigrants to some parts of the U.S. has led to a problem on the highways.

The extent of the problem varies from state to state, but community leaders say it seems worse in places where Latinos have newly immigrated.

For you to sit there and deny the report didn’t state EXACTLY what I posted, is a glaring indication that you are either blind, or intellectually dishonest. And, I don’t believe you are blind. And, we all know they conflate legal and illegal immigration, as well as include illegal aliens when discussing Hispanics. After all, according to you and others, illegal aliens are IMMIGRANTS. End of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or