U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,760 times
Reputation: 124

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Truth of the matter is, all the studies in the world aren't going to change the minds of all the citizens that witness this in their daily lives.
Right, who needs facts and data when we have ANECDOTES?

 
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,760 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
But the idea that some feel that hey its only 1% or whatever so illegals over all are a good thing is a flawed logic.
Yeah, this would be flawed logic, but good thing that's not what people are arguing.

Nobody is excusing the individual people who drive drunk.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Yeah, this would be flawed logic, but good thing that's not what people are arguing.

Nobody is excusing the individual people who drive drunk.
Perhaps but the attempt is made to mitigate the crimes of illegals by claiming only some do bad things. Where as the fact is many do bad things. The attempt to mitagate is taken further by saying yeah well legal citizens do these things too.
Yes some do. Unfortunately.
That said every illegal in this country is an unknown risk and their actions by entering illegally would indicate that our laws are less important to them than their desire for personal gain. Not unlike any and all criminals.
Are these the type of people we would want as citizens? As many pro-illegals have pointed out we have home grown criminals of our own. Do we need to import more?
 
Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I'm pretty sure we have constantly held the position that poor people everywhere should be granted the same rights and respect. You guys care more about citizens than noncitizens due to some sense of community that allows you to create a hierarchy of human value, and we do not.
Youíre damn straight I care more about my fellow Americans than foreign interlopers. Clearly, you care more about illegals, who, by the way, donít give a flying fig about you or this country. Oh, thatís right, you donít actually care about them, you only see $$$$$$.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Youíre damn straight I care more about my fellow Americans than foreign interlopers. Clearly, you care more about illegals, who, by the way, donít give a flying fig about you or this country. Oh, thatís right, you donít actually care about them, you only see $$$$$$.
Well said. While we can sympathise with the plight of the poor around the world our resourses are limited and obviously we dont even have enough to care for our own poor let alone the masses of other countries many of whom are anything but poor.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 08:18 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Youíre damn straight I care more about my fellow Americans than foreign interlopers. Clearly, you care more about illegals, who, by the way, donít give a flying fig about you or this country. Oh, thatís right, you donít actually care about them, you only see $$$$$$.
No, I care about people equally. I know that you believe you have to choose sides. You do not.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,760 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Perhaps but the attempt is made to mitigate the crimes of illegals by claiming only some do bad things. Where as the fact is many do bad things. The attempt to mitagate is taken further by saying yeah well legal citizens do these things too.
Yes some do. Unfortunately.
That said every illegal in this country is an unknown risk and their actions by entering illegally would indicate that our laws are less important to them than their desire for personal gain. Not unlike any and all criminals.
Are these the type of people we would want as citizens? As many pro-illegals have pointed out we have home grown criminals of our own. Do we need to import more?
Well, SOME of them ARE the type of people we would want as citizens, yes. SOME of them aren't. The idea that because some of them are bad apples we should write off the entire group is pretty much exactly what racism, bigotry, xenophobia is made of. Especially when you combine this thinking in the SAME POST with "well, yeah some citizens are bad apples but we're NOT going to write off THAT whole group, because, hey, that includes ME and I'M not a bad apple!"

You can see the individuals in YOUR group (which is good!), but you're blind to them in THAT OTHER group.

That's bigotry in a nutshell.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well said. While we can sympathise with the plight of the poor around the world our resourses are limited and obviously we dont even have enough to care for our own poor let alone the masses of other countries many of whom are anything but poor.
So true. It is absolutely heart-wrenching watching news reports of the starving people in this world, especially the poor children. And, as everyone who isnít living in a remote cave on a deserted island knows, the U.S. has a reputation for being generous, and sends aid throughout this world. But, we have our own suffering citizens, and they need help. I am compassionate to a fault. But, I would not be willing to deprive my son of food to feed a stranger.
 
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You’re damn straight I care more about my fellow Americans than foreign interlopers. Clearly, you care more about illegals, who, by the way, don’t give a flying fig about you or this country. Oh, that’s right, you don’t actually care about them, you only see $$$$$$.
I certainly don't give a damn about "illegal" foreingers who have thumbed their noses at our laws, stolen our jobs and resources, increased our crime rates, used fake and stolen I.D.'s, overcrowed our schools, jails and hospitals. Why would any sane person give a damn about them over our own citizens?
 
Old 08-16-2011, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Well, SOME of them ARE the type of people we would want as citizens, yes. SOME of them aren't. The idea that because some of them are bad apples we should write off the entire group is pretty much exactly what racism, bigotry, xenophobia is made of. Especially when you combine this thinking in the SAME POST with "well, yeah some citizens are bad apples but we're NOT going to write off THAT whole group, because, hey, that includes ME and I'M not a bad apple!"

You can see the individuals in YOUR group (which is good!), but you're blind to them in THAT OTHER group.

That's bigotry in a nutshell.
It is not bigotry. Itís common sense. We donít want people entering our country illegally, or violating the terms of their visas. If they canít show us enough respect to obey our laws, we donít need them.

They are ALL illegal. Whether they are good or bad, NONE have a right to be here, and we want them to leave. Itís just that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top