U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times

Advertisements

A
Quote:
Immigration searches on public transportation sites are not well publicized. Border patrol agents generally protect the border or coastline. But, Steve Cribby, spokesperson for U. S. Customs and Border Protection, says agents have the authority to conduct immigration checks in public places. And checks on Greyhound buses and Amtrak are meant to disrupt human smuggling activities into the country’s interior, he said.
(http://www.sacbee.com/2011/08/15/3838403/undocumented-immigrations-may.html - broken link)
These checks help reduce illegal activity & help catch people who enter the country illegally.
I am glad there is some effort beyond the border.

At the same time do ID checks affect citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 AM

1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
PAPERS PLEASE!

Yeah, horrible idea.

Oh, and I'm sure no racial profiling will be involved, right?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
A

These checks help reduce illegal activity & help catch people who enter the country illegally.
I am glad there is some effort beyond the border.

At the same time do ID checks affect citizens?
Everyone should be checked, including citizens. How do they know who is who without checking everyone?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 AM

1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Everyone should be checked, including citizens. How do they know who is who without checking everyone?
You don't see a problem with demanding papers from people on a regular basis inside the country?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 AM

951 posts, read 616,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

LOL. Oh wow. I know of one other place that thought this was a great idea. How did that work out for them?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
PAPERS PLEASE!

Yeah, horrible idea.

Everyone's documents are checked prior to entering an airline terminal. I've been checked everytime on domestic flights. Yeah, I must have been profiled being Hispanic.

What makes this any different?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
LOL. Oh wow. I know of one other place that thought this was a great idea. How did that work out for them?
Israel appears to be holding it's own.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Everyone's documents are checked prior to entering an airline terminal. I've been checked everytime on domestic flights. Yeah, I must have been profiled being Hispanic.

What makes this any different?

Well they are Border Patrol agents and not Amtrak ticket checkers for starters.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Well they are Border Patrol agents and not Amtrak ticket checkers for starters.
...BPA who are making random checks unlike the ticket checkers whose job it is day in and day out to check tickets.

Quote:
Between October 2010 and May 2011, immigration agents in Florida arrested around 2,900 undocumented immigrants. That includes arrests made on public transportation, apprehensions through routine highway stops and drug cases.
Should Law Enforcement in FL stop making routine highway stops? You wouldn't want them apprehending an undocumented, uninsured, unlicensed driver, would you?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Well, so far none of your responses to rhymetime (whom you quoted) address his question of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
You've tried with "I get ID'd at the airport" - fail
You've tried to equate it with traffic stops where a person actually did something wrong first - fail

How are these Border Patrol agents deciding who to check for immigration status? Keep in mind this is going on in states and areas bordering Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or