U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:42 PM

387 posts, read 511,047 times

Advertisements

I have been reading few Illegal Immigration threads
Looks like some people have no idea about US Immigration laws
Even if you are illegal you are protected by US Constitution
US Constitution dont discriminate between Citizens aliens or illegals unless it is about laws about US Citizenship
US Supreme Court has issued several rulings about illegal aliens have right of due process and cant be deported unless they do it voluntarily or are deported by US Immigration Judge and exhaust all their appeals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 03:49 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
Don't worry, they also have no idea about the other laws, either.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:07 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
US Constitution dont discriminate between Citizens aliens or illegals unless it is about laws about US Citizenship
US Supreme Court has issued several rulings about illegal aliens have right of due process and cant be deported unless they do it voluntarily or are deported by US Immigration Judge and exhaust all their appeals
I think we all know that illegals do have some rights under the Constitution. However, this so-called due process goes on way too long IMO. Either you are here legally or you are not and it should be easily proven within a short period time. Not years, and years.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:19 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
These threads all break down to just 2 things.
1. The pro-side- Our laws are unfair and illegals are good.
2, The anti-side- We need to enforce our laws and all illegals are criminals.
Pretty sure I am in group 2. because its true.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
So? Offer the illegals voluntary departure or exhaust all their appeals and then deport them and with that one, they are banned from legal reentry for number of years. I think that's only 5 years but it should be upped, probably made a permanent ban.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,410,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So? Offer the illegals voluntary departure or exhaust all their appeals and then deport them and with that one, they are banned from legal reentry for number of years. I think that's only 5 years but it should be upped, probably made a permanent ban.
This thread is not about what should happen to illegals but what are the existing rights of illegals.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
This thread is not about what should happen to illegals but what are the existing rights of illegals.
That was about their rights. Legally they have the right to voluntary departure (not always however) and to exhaust their appeals and be deported.

But yes I threw it in that currently it's nothing more than a slap on the wrist but I'd prefer to see our laws more like Mexico has, and that's a ten year ban on reentry.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That was about their rights. Legally they have the right to voluntary departure (not always however) and to exhaust their appeals and be deported.

But yes I threw it in that currently it's nothing more than a slap on the wrist but I'd prefer to see our laws more like Mexico has, and that's a ten year ban on reentry.
The US has a 10 year ban as well.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:53 AM

321 posts, read 305,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
The US has a 10 year ban as well.
The US doesn't have a 10 year ban because The US cannot enforce current immigration laws. How can they effectively enforce the 10 year ban when they do not even know who is legally or illegally here?

Cool Utopia though sir

Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabluesrq View Post
The US doesn't have a 10 year ban because The US cannot enforce current immigration laws. How can they effectively enforce the 10 year ban when they do not even know who is legally or illegally here?

Cool Utopia though sir
Quote:
The 3/10 year bar is the greatest paradox of American immigration law. The 3/10 year bar is a immigration law that says that anyone who enters the country illegally and without inspection by a U.S. immigration official and stays for 6 months is banned from returning for 3 years. If the persons who enters illegally and stays for 1 year then the person is barred from returning for 10 years. The law was passed in 1996 with the intent of "deterring" immigrants from entering the U.S. illegally. Interestingly, no one seems to have considered the likelihood of foreign nationals would be up to date on their U.S. immigration law. Surprisingly, the average Mexican immigrant didn't seem to know about this law (or understand it for that matter.)
Quote:
Thus, the only procedure for an illegal immigrant to legalize his or her status is to depart the U.S. which in turn subjects them to the punitive 3/10 year bar. The only remedy for persons in this position is to apply for a waiver of the bar. The willingness of consular officials to grant these waivers varies from post to post and the success rates are not high in some locations. In short, it is a great risk.
The US does have a 10 year bar or 3/10 year bar immigration law. When illegal immigrants get caught they also have the right to fight deportation. It's all a process.

Your issue is not the 10 year bar but that we cant just go out in the street and stop everyone to check for their legality.

Why the 3/10 year bar encourages illegal immigrants to stay and does not act as a deterrant | VisaAmigo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or