U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2011, 07:37 AM
 
14,253 posts, read 14,736,031 times
Reputation: 13611

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes. Just like if Americans gave birth while vacationing in Germany or Mexico or Guatemala would consider their child to be American. The child should have the citizenship of it's parents, anything else is absurd.
I agree. Which is why I think the Constitution needs amending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2011, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I could be wrong but I was under the assumption that anyone, legal or not, born on american soil becomes a us citizen. if this isn't the case please let me know.

I wouldn't know any court cases as I am not so involved with either side of this issue to keep track of such things. is your argument that because BRC and illegal immigration isn't fully spelled out that it should be void?
We all know that citizenship is conferred on those born on U.S. soil. However, you said courts have backed up Birthright Citizenship time and time again, which I assume relates to the topic of our discussion -- tourists and illegal aliens. So, I am merely asking you to cite the actual cases, because, to my knowledge, the courts have yet to rule on citizenship for the children of tourists or illegal aliens. If in fact courts have previously ruled, then you should be able to cite the cases. I don’t think my request is unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I should take the opinion of "numerous people in here who clarified particular 'liquid reigns"? lol the way it was intended, is the way the courts have backed it up time and time again. I prefer the collective minds of hundreds of USSCJ to liguid reins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 AM
 
13,496 posts, read 13,968,489 times
Reputation: 11119
benicar I was referring to the entirety of the 14th amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2011, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
benicar I was referring to the entirety of the 14th amendment.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought you meant the courts had actually ruled on Birthright Citizenship for illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2011, 11:11 AM
 
13,496 posts, read 13,968,489 times
Reputation: 11119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I thought you meant the courts had actually ruled on Birthright Citizenship for illegal aliens.
I think changing the amendment would be far easier to change if the wording didn't have clauses as equal protection and due process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2011, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I think changing the amendment would be far easier to change if the wording didn't have clauses as equal protection and due process.
I don’t believe equal protection/due process will be violated by requiring that at least one parent must be a U.S. citizen to confer citizenship on a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2011, 11:53 AM
 
13,496 posts, read 13,968,489 times
Reputation: 11119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don’t believe equal protection/due process will be violated by requiring that at least one parent must be a U.S. citizen to confer citizenship on a child.
I don't think it necessarily would either. changing the amendment, making sure the legalese is perfect so that it is fair to all is difficult at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2011, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don’t believe equal protection/due process will be violated by requiring that at least one parent must be a U.S. citizen to confer citizenship on a child.
Wrong, proposed legislation from Russell Pierce (sponsor of Arizona´s SB1070) wants to change Arizona state law to issue a different birth certificate to a U.S. citizen of Foreign National parentage:

¨No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States...¨

It´s Wiki, but I´m sure they haven´t changed the wording of the U.S. Constitution like you want to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2011, 02:10 PM
 
13,496 posts, read 13,968,489 times
Reputation: 11119
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Wrong, proposed legislation from Russell Pierce (sponsor of Arizona´s SB1070) wants to change Arizona state law to issue a different birth certificate to a U.S. citizen of Foreign National parentage:

¨No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States...¨

It´s Wiki, but I´m sure they haven´t changed the wording of the U.S. Constitution like you want to...

this is the trouble. the law that you want to make has to be worded so it does not hinder anyone's rights nor change the essence of the amendment itself.

this is not making a mountain out of a mole hill nor is it nit picking. the wording has to consider every scenario and make sure it is fair to any and all reasonable circumstances.

wording it legally so that will hold up to all challenges is difficult. our USC makes everyone equal so we can't cut people out of the heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2011, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
this is the trouble. the law that you want to make has to be worded so it does not hinder anyone's rights nor change the essence of the amendment itself.

this is not making a mountain out of a mole hill nor is it nit picking. the wording has to consider every scenario and make sure it is fair to any and all reasonable circumstances.

wording it legally so that will hold up to all challenges is difficult. our USC makes everyone equal so we can't cut people out of the herd.
Without properly changing the Constitution all else is useless flailing: The challenge is ruled unconstitutional, and kicked out. We get to hear all the moaning about how the Constitution doesn´t apply to illegal aliens, and another attempt is made. What was the definition about repeating something over and over, expecting a different outcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top