U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:43 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I don't think it necessarily would either. changing the amendment, making sure the legalese is perfect so that it is fair to all is difficult at best.
Me thinks thou dost protest too much and are trying to make it seem like an unsurmountable task. Of course the wording would have to be completely understandable and legal and all the kinks worked out and its intentions made clear and of course it would be difficult to do but mostly because of those who want birthright citizenship to remain as it is because of their ethnic agenda. Instead of throwing out all these 'what ifs" and it is just too diffult to do why don't you join us in getting it done?

There are others in here throwing out similar arguments but the bottom line is that they have an agenda so they don't want it changed and it isn't in the best interests of this country and they know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,558,542 times
I don't have a problem with women coming here to have babies so long as they enter legally. I suspect many of them come here because our medical facilities are far better than elsewhere including Canada. I am sure many Canadians come here to have babies just as thousands of them come here for other medical procedures because they don't want to risk third world socialized medicine.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:41 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,558,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
Also lots of babies are born where one parent is a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and other is not
Who would you exclude, like people here on Non Immigrant Visas or Immigrant Visa
It would be too complicated to change Thats why very few people in US Congress want to mess with the 14th Amendment
My view is that as long as one parent has a legal presence in the United States then the baby is entitled to the right of citizenship. I don't care if they are here on student or visitor visas. If they are legally here, the baby should be a citizen. But I do not agree that a baby born to 2 illegal immigrants should be entitled to citizenship.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I don't have a problem with women coming here to have babies so long as they enter legally. I suspect many of them come here because our medical facilities are far better than elsewhere including Canada. I am sure many Canadians come here to have babies just as thousands of them come here for other medical procedures because they don't want to risk third world socialized medicine.
Free medical is one of the reasons they come here to give birth. However, the thought of having their child supported by our taxes is another reason. Regardless, if the parents owe no allegience to this country and are citizens of another country and are here illegally then their newborns should have the citizenship of the parents IMO. If at least one parent is an American citizen then that is a different story.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
Mexico does not give birth right citizenship...Why don't we just apply of the laws of Mexico, to illegal aliens in our country, after all, it is mainly people from that country...would that be okay, to just follow Mexican laws....

Last edited by jasper12; 08-21-2011 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: edit.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:15 PM

63 posts, read 240,056 times
Anchor Babies Aweigh!

Old 08-26-2011, 03:08 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Mexico does not give birth right citizenship...Why don't we just apply of the laws of Mexico, to illegal aliens in our country, after all, it is mainly people from that country...would that be okay, to just follow Mexican laws....
Ok, and if Mexico has birthright citizenship (like, say if you didn't research your answer quite well enough), can we also keep ours?...

Can we also get easy FMT-style permits that cost $25, and allow a foreigner to travel anywhere in the U.S., for up to six months?...

These are the actual "Birthright Citizenship" countries:

Old 08-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Most countries ban birthright citizenship because of security threats and because of unbearable costs which take invaluable resources and burden federal, state and local budgets and taxpayers.U.S. Representative Nathan Deal of Georgia stated that the United States is the largest of only 33 countries in the world that grant automatic birthright citizenship to children of illegal aliens and temporary visitors, while 122 countries do not.

WHAT COUNTRIES BAN BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP? Voice For Voters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration