U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-19-2011, 03:09 PM
 
387 posts, read 510,755 times
Reputation: 86

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
If you are referring to asylum status. Mexicans don't qualify for that.
I was talking of aliens in general not from a specific country
Lots of aliens from Mexico are also given asylum due to violence and drug war

 
Old 08-19-2011, 03:11 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 788,760 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That is one of the reasons that we have a legal immigration system so that immigrants will get health checks.
But see, you don't really care about health, you just use it as an excuse. If health were really your concern, you would welcome easier legal immigration since then all the immigrants would be able to go through your screening process.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
Funny how you can "lol" about destroying lives. So, it sounds to me that you think there are a fixed amount of jobs in the United States, is that correct?

That argument is the premise for most wealth redistribution schemes... this one included. Though, it's a fallacy: There aren't a fixed amount of jobs in the country, or in the world for that matter.

I'm not sure that I should even address your claim that immigrants are stupid, since it's a racist argument. Instead, I'll suggest some introspection: What leads you to the conclusion that Mexicans who come to the United States aren't able to create jobs? Do you think that French or German immigrants all spoke English when they came to the United States at the turn of the 20th century? Do you think they were wealthy? Are you familiar with the businesses and lives that they created for themselves in the United States?
Where in any of my posts did I call "immigrants" stupid? Being unededucated does not necessarily make one stupid per se.

The French, German and other early immigrants came with skills and an education even though they may not have spoken English when they first arrived. They didn't come illegally either. It was different time back then and our needs were different. We were in the nation building phase. We no longer are.

I never said that legal Mexicans aren't able to create jobs but those here illegally are mostly the uneducated and low skilled. Learn to know the difference.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Pleasant Ridge, Cincinnati, OH
1,040 posts, read 1,124,281 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh please, drop the race card! It isn't only Mexicans coming through the border. That is one of the reasons that we have a legal immigration system so that immigrants will get health checks. No one is implying that these illegals are all disease ridden but what do you think the likelyhood is that at least some of them are? How are facts bigoted?
If you're so interested in health screenings, why don't we screen international travellers at the country's airports? Do you truly believe that the government protects you from getting sick?

I wouldn't call you out on your bigoted statements if you didn't make bigoted statements. As Socrates said, "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

Perhaps you should consider that you don't actually know who these people are, but do know that they're people, and start from there.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Pleasant Ridge, Cincinnati, OH
1,040 posts, read 1,124,281 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Where in any of my posts did I call "immigrants" stupid? Being unededucated does not necessarily make one stupid per se.

The French, German and other early immigrants came with skills and an education even though they may not have spoken English when they first arrived. They didn't come illegally either. It was different time back then and our needs were different. We were in the nation building phase. We no longer are.

I never said that legal Mexicans aren't able to create jobs but those here illegally are mostly the uneducated and low skilled. Learn to know the difference.
Was it really so different? Don't you think that New York was bursting at the seams with immigrants? Honestly, I think people use the argument that "things are different now" to justify all sorts of infringements upon individual liberty. The fact of the matter is, people were people then and they're people now. They had dreams and ambitions, fell in love, faced struggles, and lived their lives. Sure, technology has changed, but people... not so much.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh please, drop the race card! It isn't only Mexicans coming through the border. That is one of the reasons that we have a legal immigration system so that immigrants will get health checks. No one is implying that these illegals are all desease ridden but what do you think the likelyhood is that at least some of them are? How are facts bigoted?
Sure, applicants for Immigrant Visas (IV) are screened at the medical clinic(s) attached to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in whichever country, but not non-immigrant visas (including the 'K' visas, which typically lead to immigrant status). Now that you know we have foreign visitors from the same countries in the United States, as well as returning U.S. citizens not going any health screening at entry, does it make you feel not as secure about a disease coming in? The main thrust of the medical clinics are to make sure Immigrant Visa applicants (because the medical portion is before the visa processing) are currently immunized.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 05:01 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Can someone give me a one-paragraph outline of what I'm supposed to be outraged about?
Sure. Here's how I see it.

Apparently, in the alternate universe according to our fearless leader, it is no longer illegal to be in the country illegally. Way to nullify the US Constitution, Mr. Prez, along with existing federal immigration laws, the votes of the Congress, and every vote cast, phone call made, and e-mail sent by Americans who have defeated this Amnesty legislation eight times in the last six years. Good job.

However, in order to be outraged, you would actually have to be FOR the rule of law, and against excluding certain groups of people from abiding by said laws simply because of their geopolitical place of origin.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 05:12 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Wrong! Obama put the final nail in his own coffin with this fiasco. The GOP doesn't need to do anything. He won't be re-elected in 2012 anyway.
You're right. He's toast.

Obama fiddles while America burns.

Don't think for one moment that the vast majority of Americans continue to be blinded by the hopey changey thing.

Even here in California, the NOBAMA bumperstickers are already out in force.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 05:13 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Sure, applicants for Immigrant Visas (IV) are screened at the medical clinic(s) attached to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in whichever country, but not non-immigrant visas (including the 'K' visas, which typically lead to immigrant status). Now that you know we have foreign visitors from the same countries in the United States, as well as returning U.S. citizens not going any health screening at entry, does it make you feel not as secure about a disease coming in? The main thrust of the medical clinics are to make sure Immigrant Visa applicants (because the medical portion is before the visa processing) are currently immunized.
All foreingers entering our country regardless of what type of visa they have should have proof of immunization. Do you disagree with that?

By the way, we have been discussiing Obama's latest immigation policies in here today. Care to join in the discussion and express you views?
 
Old 08-19-2011, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
All foreingers entering our country regardless of what type of visa they have should have proof of immunization. Do you disagree with that?...
Under the State Department guidelines that have been in place for decades it isn't interpreted that way. We also have returning U.S. citizens of unknown immunization levels and health conditions. Why aren't they screened for immunizations under that same perception?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top