U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 AM

12,870 posts, read 13,109,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
You wrote:

Senators are not called a Congressmen.
there are senators and representatives-- and they ALL make up the body called the congress. maybe senators prefer to be called senators (because they see themselves as more important) but they are still congressmen/women.

there is no point trying to sidetrack the issue of responsibility for obama. the bottom line is that before he was president he WAS in a position to write and introduce legislation, and he was part of the congress.

obama has always been in favor of the DREAM act which, by my last count, has been introduced in no less than 5 versions in an attempt to jam it through against the will of the american people. here is the latest version (at least i think it is the latest version) and the sponsors of this one:

S. 952: Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act of 2011 (GovTrack.us)

Daniel Akaka [D-HI]

Mark Begich [D-AK]

Michael Bennet [D-CO]

Jeff Bingaman [D-NM]

Richard Blumenthal [D-CT]

Barbara Boxer [D-CA]

Maria Cantwell [D-WA]

Benjamin Cardin [D-MD]

Thomas Carper [D-DE]

Chris Coons [D-DE]

Dianne Feinstein [D-CA]

Al Franken [D-MN]

Kirsten Gillibrand [D-NY]

Thomas Harkin [D-IA]

Daniel Inouye [D-HI]

John Kerry [D-MA]

Amy Klobuchar [D-MN]

Herbert Kohl [D-WI]

Frank Lautenberg [D-NJ]

Patrick Leahy [D-VT]

Carl Levin [D-MI]

Joseph Lieberman [I-CT]

Robert Menéndez [D-NJ]

Jeff Merkley [D-OR]

Barbara Mikulski [D-MD]

Patty Murray [D-WA]

Bill Nelson [D-FL]

John Reed [D-RI]

Harry Reid [D-NV]

Bernard Sanders [I-VT]

Charles Schumer [D-NY]

Mark Udall [D-CO]

Mark Warner [D-VA]

Sheldon Whitehouse [D-

all democrats, except bernie sanders, and all selling out our children's education for potential votes. SHAME ON ALL OF THEM. for florida, i see bill nelson is on the list. (bye-bye nelson)

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-06-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,042,022 times
Quote:

Senators are not called a Congressmen.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:05 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,475,092 times
Quote:
You are saying that there is something wrong with San Antonio where Spanish is spoken about as much as it is in Mexico? Many parts of the SW, originally part of Mexico, are still heavily Hispanic and Spanish is the dominate language. They speak English, but Spanish is the preferred language among them. I know people born in the U.S. who didn't learn English until they started school.

I don't expect everyone to adapt to my ways. I speak a bad Spanglish but non-English speakers can understand me, because they try. Many Mexicans here speak English. English is the Universal language spoken everywhere in the world.

I like Mexico. I also like my native U.S.A. Why should it be an either/or?

I think you need to get out and see more of the world. It is all blending together and in a few decades it will be hard to travel from one country to another and see large differences between the countries.
I have seen and lived in Mexico. Mexico for the Mexicans, the USA for Americans and yes some legal immigration back and forth is fine. I would suspect you are legally residing in Mexico, that you respected it's laws.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,913,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
there are senators and representatives and they make up the body called the congress.

there is no point trying to sidetrack the issue of responsibility for obama. the bottom line is that before he was president he WAS in a position to write and introduce legislation, and he was part of the congress.

obama has always been in favor of the DREAM act which, by my last count, has been introduced in no less than 5 versions in an attempt to jam it through against the will of the american people.
Glen Beck is not your friend. Google is your friend and so is the shift key for making capitals.

Most people are for the Dream Act. It is a fair legislation.

Rick Perry's Texas passed the Texas Dream Act:
Support the DREAM Act | The Daily Texan (http://www.dailytexanonline.com/opinion/2011/08/03/support-dream-act - broken link)

Quote:
Undocumented children in Texas who attend public universities currently qualify for in-state tuition rates, thanks to the 2001 passage of the Texas DREAM Act. Twelve other states face similar situations, as they, like Texas, allow illegal residents to pay in-state tuition rates.
Quote:
When questioned about the act in an interview with the New Hampshire Union Leader last month, Perry responded, “To punish these young Texans for their parents’ actions is not what America has always been about.”
Republicans who supported the Dream Act suddenly were against it when Obama was elected. Obama isn't the right color for these Southern legislators who don't like a White man with a dark skin color being president. Yes, Obama is more White than he is Black.

Junior Senators who are in office for three years before running for the presidency, don't usually write a lot of legislation.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Glen Beck is not your friend. Google is your friend and so is the shift key for making capitals.

Support the DREAM Act | The Daily Texan (http://www.dailytexanonline.com/opinion/2011/08/03/support-dream-act - broken link)

Republicans who supported the Dream Act suddenly were against it when Obama was elected. Obama isn't the right color for these Southern legislators who don't like a White man with a dark skin color being president. Yes, Obama is more White than he is Black.

Junior Senators who are in office for three years before running for the presidency, don't usually write a lot of legislation.

you are embarrassing yourself now if you think most americans are for the DREAM act.

maybe in mexico they are.

here in america, we are free to not use the shift cap key if we don't want to.

i love america.

Last edited by floridasandy; 09-06-2011 at 07:46 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 AM

47,576 posts, read 60,475,092 times
Quote:

Sure.... it seems you've been living outside the USA for too long to realize that Americans are facing bad times, and that many Americans are unable to attend the universities of their choice and instead want that for any foreigner willing to break our laws.

You can pat yourself on the back for living in Mexico all you want but that's only for the more elite Americans who have the money it requires to live there and who don't have to work for a living because your new country does not allow massive numbers of unemployed impoverished Americans to move there and live the good life.

In fact it seems that most the ex-pat Americans are what you could call privileged types, monied types, usually not of a minority race you might say.

All countries, including your adopted one have immigration laws and tend to limit who can come there and take the jobs from their own citizens.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
you are embarrassing yourself now if you think most americans are for the DREAM act.

maybe in mexico they are.
You don't know what the Dream Act is, do you? Google is your friend. Use it.

Living in Mexico I can vote in U.S. federal elections. I don't know how many of my fellow U.S. citizens living here are for the Dream Act.

Public Support for the DREAM Act | First Focus

Quote:
According to the survey results, 70% of Americans favor the DREAM Act, a notable increase in support compared to a similar 2004 poll that placed public support at 58%.
Majority Support the DREAM Act, Poll Finds — Immigration | The Texas Tribune

Quote:
A poll commissioned by a family-advocacy group in Washington, D.C., indicates that support for the DREAM Act has increased nationally, even as tensions over immigration continue. The DREAM (Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors) Act would allow undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as young children a chance at permanent-residency status — if they meet specific requirements.

December 10, 2010 Gallup Poll:

Slim Majority of Americans Would Vote for DREAM Act Law

Quote:
PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans are more likely to say they would vote for than against a law that would grant legal status to illegal immigrants brought to the United States as children if they join the military or attend college. This is the major thrust of the DREAM Act legislation Congress is now considering to provide a path to citizenship for thousands of young adults living in the United States illegally.
Far Right Wing Rasmussen Poll in 2010:

Rasmussen: Voters Support Idea of DREAM Act | The Washington Independent

Quote:
A Rasmussen poll released today shows that in theory, at least, voters should support the DREAM Act: Most voters in the poll said children brought to the U.S. illegally should get a chance at citizenship if they complete two years of college or participate in the military.

A slight majority — 52 percent — of likely U.S. voters said children brought to the U.S. illegally who complete two years of college should get a path to legal status, while 36 percent said these children should not be given an opportunity to become citizens.

Voters were more supportive of paths to citizenship for illegal immigrant who serve in the military: 78 percent said children brought to the U.S. illegally who serve in the military should get a chance to become citizens.
And lastly, find that shift key so you can make capital letters.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
You don't know what the Dream Act is, do you? Google is your friend. Use it.

Living in Mexico I can vote in U.S. federal elections. I don't know how many of my fellow U.S. citizens living here are for the Dream Act.

Public Support for the DREAM Act | First Focus

Majority Support the DREAM Act, Poll Finds — Immigration | The Texas Tribune

December 10, 2010 Gallup Poll:

Slim Majority of Americans Would Vote for DREAM Act Law

Far Right Wing Rasmussen Poll in 2010:

Rasmussen: Voters Support Idea of DREAM Act | The Washington Independent

And lastly, find that shift key so you can make capital letters.
what are you, the cap key world cop?

what's the penalty?

i think i will do a poll and see how americans feel about the DREAM act here.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
what are you, the cap key world cop?

what's the penalty?

i think i will do a poll and see how americans feel about the DREAM act here.
The penalty is an assumption that you are uneducated.

Ask first if they know what the Dream Act is. Like you they might not have a clue.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Sure.... it seems you've been living outside the USA for too long to realize that Americans are facing bad times, and that many Americans are unable to attend the universities of their choice and instead want that for any foreigner willing to break our laws.

You can pat yourself on the back for living in Mexico all you want but that's only for the more elite Americans who have the money it requires to live there and who don't have to work for a living because your new country does not allow massive numbers of unemployed impoverished Americans to move there and live the good life.

In fact it seems that most the ex-pat Americans are what you could call privileged types, monied types, usually not of a minority race you might say.

All countries, including your adopted one have immigration laws and tend to limit who can come there and take the jobs from their own citizens.
Kids brought to the U.S. by their parents did not willingly nor knowingly break the law. Will one of you read the Dream Act or is it easier to hate than to learn?

I missed the part that illegal aliens are given money to attend school. Impoverished Americans pay the same as the beneficiaries of the Texas Dream Act. You think the foreigners have money to attend any university they choose but U.S. citizens can't? Those foreigners must make a lot of money washing cars and mowing yards. That's an idea. Tell the kids to go get jobs where the money is, washing cars, mowing yards and cleaning houses then they can attend any university they want. Sorry malamute, I was discussing problems on Planet Earth not Planet, "Where do you get these ideas?"

Mexico will allow massive numbers of U.S. citizens to enter and work for $2 a hour and take the same chances of being deported as Mexicans face in the U.S. Are you saying Americans can't find $2 an hour jobs in the U.S.?

I'm not monied nor privileged. Most of the U.S. citizens here live on $1000 to $1500 USD a month or less. Some I know receive less than $800 USD a month. There are people far better off who buy houses that sell for a million U.S. but that's not the majority.

Most of us do not work because we are retired. We wouldn't be working in the U.S. either.

We get U.S. television. We watch all the U.S. news stations. We do have the internet. Mexico is not in a Black Hole where no information enters or exits. We are aware of the economic problems in the U.S., U.S. problems are Mexican problems, and the U.S. economy affects the incomes of expats in Mexico.

Yes, most of us here are White but Blacks are retiring here. There are hundreds of Mexican/Americans, people who hold dual citizenship.There are quite a few retired military in this area who are Black. On the other-side of Mexico, Vera Cruz, it has a larger native Black Mexican population. Is that what you meant by not of a minority race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration