U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,820,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe your ancestors were given citizenship by the nation that really ruled over Texas when they were invited in which was Spain. It wasn't Mexico that invited in those people, it was Spain, the land grants and so on were issued by the government of Spain.

For someone from Texas you seem to have very little understanding of the events that led up to Texas Independence and it was not just the Texans who fought for independence, there were Tejanos fighting along side them, with them.

It was more about the direction Mexico's government took after independence from Spain and a lot of poor management. The federalists were moving into Texas for reasons of their own, it was also about the widening gap between the federalists and centralists forces in Mexico and it's northern territory.

It was less than 25 years of Mexican rule over Texas, that's nothing more than a blink of an eye when it comes to history.
Stephen F. Austin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Austin's father Moses was given a grant by Spain. He died and his son Stephen took over the grant. When Stephen arrived in Texas, before bringing anyone to Texas, Mexico had become independent from Spain. Stephen had to get a new agreement from Mexico. So no, the grant was issued by Mexico and the first people Austin brought in were under the Mexican agreement.

I don't think I wrote that no one else fought for Texas independence other than those of European stock.

I have never written why Texans fought Mexico for independence so I don't know how you know what I know.

I don't recall giving a full Texas history lesson. The fact that Texas was once ruled by Mexico is a proud fact to Texas and Mexico is still heavily influenced in Texas culture.

Stephen F. Austin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
During Austin's time in Arkansas, his father traveled to Spanish Texas and received an empresarial grant that would allow him to bring 300 American families to Texas (they would later become known as The Old 300).
Quote:
Moses became ill with what was believed to be pneumonia and died on June 10, 1821.
Quote:
His ( Stephen's) party traveled the 300 miles (480 km) in three weeks to San Antonio with the intent of reauthorizing his father's grant, arriving on August 12. While in transit, they learned that Mexico had declared its independence from Spain, and Texas had become a Mexican province rather than a Spanish territory.
Quote:
In San Antonio, the grant was reauthorized by (Mexican) Governor Antonio María Martínez, who allowed Austin to explore the Gulf Coast between San Antonio and the Brazos River to find a suitable location for a colony.
Exerted parts of the obituary of Clementina Bartlett Millett and yes, she was a looker. The whole obituary gives an interesting first hand history of Texas.

Quote:
This article was printed in the Houston [Texas] Chronicle on Sunday, November 12, 1905
Quote:
Fort Worth, Texas, Nov. 11--Mrs. Clementina Millett of this city is as truly a survivor of the Mexican war as the old heroes who fought in the ranks. She is 90 years of age and retains a clear memory of the stirring times when Texas was achieving her independence. Mrs. Millett, who is probably the oldest living white woman in Texas, is also one of the oldest residents of the state, having come here in one of the original colonies brought to the Southwest by Stephen Austin.
Quote:
Her father, Jesse Bartlett, had already achieved fame for military exploits in the Seminole Indian war, being given the rank of major by Gen. Jackson fro [sic] bravery in action. In 1833 the subject of this sketch was married to Samuel Millett, who came to Texas from Maine upon his graduation from Bowdoin College. With her husband she moved to Grimes county, where she lived during the Mexican war, excepting for a brief time in which the families were sent ahead by the troops while the fate of Texas lay in the balance before Santa Anna's troops.
Quote:
Concerning the battle of San Jacinto Mrs. Millett gives some interesting information. The survivors of Goliad, she declares, burning under the recent outrage suffered by their comrades, shot and left stripped on the plains, were first to discover the personality of Santa Anna and were, with difficulty, restrained from wreaking vengeance upon the leader whose safety was later so instrumental in effecting the final independnce [sic] of Txas [sic].

Old 09-09-2011, 10:06 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,123,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
That's, "Sorry Ma'am", not Buddy.
I do apologize!!
Quote:
The majority of immigrants entering the U.S. now are from Central America, not Mexico. Read up on the Mexican economy and its 4% unemployment rate. Mexicans are returning to Mexico in droves. There is so much construction here that they can't find enough people. Soon Americans will illegally be crossing the border to work in Mexico.
I'm sure we won't be to welcomed if we just blow in like we own the place either. Do you think Americans will be given a free pass to just enter without permission? Do you think they will educate the children for free, give welfare if needed, special housing?
Quote:
I know U.S. citizens, born and reared in the U.S. who do not speak English. There is a hotel in San Antonio owned and run by nuns and only one out of the ten speaks English.
It's best to have a common language. America has an official language and it should be followed. I wouldn't except to go to another country and not try to know their language.
Quote:
I live in Mexico and don't speak Spanish. So what? Mexicans don't care. The only Mexican I've met who makes a big deal out of my lack of Spanish has a 6th grade education and was married at 13 to a 56 year old man. Funny how the least educated everywhere make a big deal out of issues like this.
Guess you could say the same about the ones who think they are the most educated, they judge people on how they dress, if they chose the right word to say. Not sure education has anything to do with ones opinion.

Quote:
Read your last post. You played the race card. "Mexican babies."
What should I call them?? I wasn't speaking of Asian babies, although we have a problem with Asians coming here also and having babies just to be American Citizens. Doesn't really change anything if they do go back to their country, they still have their little token called the "American Baby", now an American Citizen!!

Strange how we are hated by many, but people want their children to have the American Citizen label, rather than their own country's. Freebies will do it every time.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:03 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
I would also advise any American citizen immigrating to or travelling to Mexico to respect Mexico's laws. I find it absurd that some group of foreigners believe they are not expected to respect USA laws.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I do apologize!!I'm sure we won't be to welcomed if we just blow in like we own the place either. Do you think Americans will be given a free pass to just enter without permission? Do you think they will educate the children for free, give welfare if needed, special housing?
It's best to have a common language. America has an official language and it should be followed. I wouldn't except to go to another country and not try to know their language.
Guess you could say the same about the ones who think they are the most educated, they judge people on how they dress, if they chose the right word to say. Not sure education has anything to do with ones opinion.

What should I call them?? I wasn't speaking of Asian babies, although we have a problem with Asians coming here also and having babies just to be American Citizens. Doesn't really change anything if they do go back to their country, they still have their little token called the "American Baby", now an American Citizen!!

Strange how we are hated by many, but people want their children to have the American Citizen label, rather than their own country's. Freebies will do it every time.
Mexico has a new immigration law that protects the rights of illegal aliens and Mexico does provide free education and medical to illegals.
DOF - Diario Oficial de la Federación

Mexico doesn't have a welfare system for its own people so I doubt it will have one for anyone else. Illegals in the U.S. cannot claim welfare anyway.

The U.S. does not have and has never had an official language, it has a common language.

I've never known a highly educated person who judges people by clothing. They judge by thoughts and ideas. GWB could dress well. He was still an idiot.

The more information one has from self or formal education, the better he can think.

A Mexican friend who attended college (legally) in the U.S. told me the other day that America used to be loved by everybody. No country was ever more loved worldwide than the U.S., and now almost everybody worldwide hates it. We became bullies who stopped living up to our values and principles.

Mexico has over 100 million people who are not traveling to the U.S. to have "anchor babies." Not everybody wants a U.S. citizenship. Most people worldwide are not sneaking into the U.S. to have anchor babies nor do they want U.S. citizenship.

Read up on the Mexican economy. It is not in a depression like the U.S. Mexico and Canada were not victims of the U.S. unregulated mortgage swaps that bankrupted so many countries. Mexico sits at a 4% unemployment rate, its economy is growing not shrinking, and construction is booming here.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:17 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,772,010 times
Quote:
Mexico has a new immigration law that protects the rights of illegal aliens and Mexico does provide free education and medical to illegals.

Mexico doesn't have a welfare system for its own people so I doubt it will have one for anyone else. Illegals in the U.S. cannot claim welfare anyway.

The U.S. does not have and has never had an official language, it has a common language.

I've never known a highly educated person who judges people by clothing. They judge by thoughts and ideas. GWB could dress well. He was still an idiot.

The more information one has from self or formal education, the better he can think.

A Mexican friend who attended college (legally) in the U.S. told me the other day that America used to be loved by everybody. No country was ever more loved worldwide than the U.S., and now almost everybody worldwide hates it. We became bullies who stopped living up to our values and principles.

Mexico has over 100 million people who are not traveling to the U.S. to have "anchor babies." Not everybody wants a U.S. citizenship. Most people worldwide are not sneaking into the U.S. to have anchor babies nor do they want U.S. citizenship.

Read up on the Mexican economy. It is not in a depression like the U.S. Mexico and Canada were not victims of the U.S. unregulated mortgage swaps that bankrupted so many countries. Mexico sits at a 4% unemployment rate, its economy is growing not shrinking, and construction is booming here.
mexico has a major oil field that is in decline, so they have that going for them-- but they do have their drugs and drug wars, so they have that going for them too.

as far as them not wanting citizenship, we will be happy to grant that wish!

as far as your post on conservatives hating "sex", i guess you have never been with a conservative who has jumped on the bed yelling "now we are going to have some fun".

just saying.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:03 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
Quote:

I hope you will tell those that are being slaughtered as they cross Mexico about this new friendly law that Mexico has passed. Please explain to them why Mexico built a wall across their southern border while you're at it.

And yes the US does have a common language that is used in business and commerece. If you want to succeed in this country you need to learn it before coming here.

You may not realize that highly educated people do indeed judge others by their clothes but they usually just judge them by their ideas, just like you did with GWB. Being educated does not make your ideas superior. In fact many times the opposite proves true. Al Gore is one of several examples.

You are correct that the more info has the better they are at thinking. That is why so many of our youth are so misguided. They have college education but no life experience to formulate opinions on. They just have the opinions of a professor that taught them what to think not how to think.

Have you stopped to think that Mexico's economy may be taking off now that they have encouraged all their poor uneducated people to come to the big bad bully country of the USA? I guess you see the US as a bully now that we have no more money to dish out. Yes, everyone loves you when you are giving away free stuff. When the gravy train ends...you are a bully.

I'm glad Mexico's economy is booming. The illegals should be waiting for their paid trip home then. Of course they won't leave on their own when the big bad bully citizens of the US will pay for it for them.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
mexico has a major oil field that is in decline, so they have that going for them-- but they do have their drugs and drug wars, so they have that going for them too.

as far as your post on conservatives hating "sex", i guess you have never been with a conservative who has jumped on the bed yelling "now we are going to have some fun".

just saying.
Mexico's economy isn't only oil. Mexican Carlos Slim who is in the top three wealthiest in the world made his money in telecommunications, not oil.

For Mexicans Looking North, a New Calculus Favors Home - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Douglas S. Massey, co-director of the Mexican Migration Project at Princeton, an extensive, long-term survey in Mexican emigration hubs, said his research showed that interest in heading to the United States for the first time had fallen to its lowest level since at least the 1950s. “No one wants to hear it, but the flow has already stopped,” Mr. Massey said, referring to illegal traffic. “For the first time in 60 years, the net traffic has gone to zero and is probably a little bit negative.”

Quote:
Another important factor is Mexico itself. Over the past 15 years, this country once defined by poverty and beaches has progressed politically and economically in ways rarely acknowledged by Americans debating immigration. Even far from the coasts or the manufacturing sector at the border, democracy is better established, incomes have generally risen and poverty has declined.
Quote:
Still, education represents the most meaningful change. The census shows that throughout Jalisco, the number of senior high schools or preparatory schools for students aged 15 to 18 increased to 724 in 2009, from 360 in 2000, far outpacing population growth. The Technological Institute of Arandas, where Angel studies engineering, is now one of 13 science campuses created in Jalisco since 2000 — a major reason professionals in the state, with a bachelor’s degree or higher, also more than doubled to 821,983 in 2010, up from 405,415 in 2000.

Letter From Mexico: Amid the Drug Wars, a Stunning Economic Boom - New America Media

Quote:
MERIDA, Mexico— At a time when the United States is confronting the possibility of a “double dip” recession, Mexico’s economy is expanding at the fastest pace in a decade.
Quote:
For most of the 20th century, Mexicans lamented that when the U.S. economy slowed down, Mexico, ever so dependent on its neighbor to the north, suffered a recession. “When the U.S. gets a cold, Mexico gets pneumonia,” was a familiar saying among officials and executives on both sides of the border.
Quote:
Mexico’s gross domestic product (GDP) expanded 5.5 percent in 2010, and it is on track to grow 4.5 percent this year.
Quote:
American homes languish unsold for years, while half-million dollar homes are going up in fancy Mexican communities such as the Yucatan Country Club, which boasts a Jack Nicklaus golf course and a Mark Spitz Swimming Academy. This economic vitality is seen in many areas of the country, far removed from the drug-related violence that plagues the border region.
Quote:
i guess you have never been with a conservative who has jumped on the bed yelling "now we are going to have some fun".
If a man jumps on the bed yelling "now we are going to have some fun", I know it's time to leave. A good lover doesn't need to jump nor make an announcement. I have been out with a few Republican congressmen and I did not find them passionate or sexy.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:25 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

just saying.
Conservatives hate sex? Even if that were true (but it isn't) what does that have to do with illegal immigration, pray tell?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I hope you will tell those that are being slaughtered as they cross Mexico about this new friendly law that Mexico has passed. Please explain to them why Mexico built a wall across their southern border while you're at it.

And yes the US does have a common language that is used in business and commerece. If you want to succeed in this country you need to learn it before coming here.

You may not realize that highly educated people do indeed judge others by their clothes but they usually just judge them by their ideas, just like you did with GWB. Being educated does not make your ideas superior. In fact many times the opposite proves true. Al Gore is one of several examples.

You are correct that the more info has the better they are at thinking. That is why so many of our youth are so misguided. They have college education but no life experience to formulate opinions on. They just have the opinions of a professor that taught them what to think not how to think.

Have you stopped to think that Mexico's economy may be taking off now that they have encouraged all their poor uneducated people to come to the big bad bully country of the USA? I guess you see the US as a bully now that we have no more money to dish out. Yes, everyone loves you when you are giving away free stuff. When the gravy train ends...you are a bully.

I'm glad Mexico's economy is booming. The illegals should be waiting for their paid trip home then. Of course they won't leave on their own when the big bad bully citizens of the US will pay for it for them.
Mexico doesn't have a fence on its Southern border. Mexico isn't killing anyone who crosses its border. It does kill drug cartel members but that is mostly the Northern border.

You don't understand what I.Q. is and I don't want to explain it.

You are naive about languages spoken in the U.S.A. Do business with the Hasidim in NY and you need to speak Yiddish. In the SW, Spanish is very common. Many areas in the U.S. speak Chinese. It depends what one wants to do and where he wants to do it that makes the language he speaks important.

Quote:
Hasidim also maintain a language barrier against the non-Hasidic world. Just as Hasidic dress serves as a visual marker of separation, so the sound of Yiddish serves as an aural one. A favorite Hasidic saying states, "A Jew speaks Jewish," and a prominent Yiddish sign at the Bobover girls' school reads "A proud girl speaks Yiddish."
Spanish language in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Spanish was the language spoken by the first permanent European settlers in North America. Spanish arrived in the territory of the contemporary United States with Ponce de León in 1513.
Quote:
Historically, the Spanish-speaking population increased because of territorial annexation of lands claimed earlier by the Spanish empire and by wars with Mexico and by land purchases, while modern factors continue increasing the size of this population.
Spanish Spoken at Home

Mexico's economy would be in good shape if it did or did not have poor people. Having poor people has nothing to do with GNP.

Read the statistics of how many illegals have returned to Mexico. They aren't waiting on a ticket. They are returning on their own.

Al Gore? You think Al Gore had ideas inferior to GWB? I rest my case.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:04 AM

11,785 posts, read 9,708,825 times
In times of economic distress, immigrants and foreigners are always first in line to be targeted. It's happened to many nationalities in the past who are a major part of our economy now.
If Americans put half as much of their outrage into what truly caused the downturn in the economy (corporate ownership of our government), things might actually change. Instead, they have the peasants fighting amongst themselves, per usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration