U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Austin
28,962 posts, read 15,527,638 times
Reputation: 7714

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
If that is your view, then Reagan, W, McCain,..etc should all have been thrown out off their positions for passing, and/or trying to pass blanket amnesty. .
Failure to enforce a law and seeking to pass a new law are totally unrelated.

 
Old 08-19-2011, 10:37 AM
 
4,406 posts, read 5,317,471 times
Reputation: 2890
Notice how this action took place while Obama was on vacation and while the country is worried about the economy. I believe, like they did during the Bush years, they are releasing this so it goes mostly under the radar. Maybe we won't notice given our other concerns.

WRONG. This is the most egregious act by Obama in my opinion and I have usually defended him (well, tolerated is a better word). I'm mostly left-leaning but I am a close-the-borders kind of guy. What he has just done basically erases the border. As long as you illegally cross it and commit no other crime, you get a free pass to stay. I expect Mexico's poor population to just hop skip and jump to America now since they're now getting a free pass.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
 
745 posts, read 1,249,721 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Do you live under a rock?

Federal Law states that ALL Illegal Aliens are to be prosecuted and deported.. Yet Obama and this administration are only picking and choosing which ones they want to prosecute and/or deport.

If that is not above the law, I don't know what is.
They're prioritizing. With limited funds and time, they are deporting the worst offenders, and leaving non-violents on the back burner for later. It's not like they said they'll never ever be deported, but that dealing with them can wait.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
 
1,759 posts, read 1,696,625 times
Reputation: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
They're prioritizing. With limited funds and time, they are deporting the worst offenders, and leaving non-violents on the back burner for later.
If they're prioritizing they'll realize that our unemployment situation is dire.

In that case, they would fine or close down any businesses hiring illegals
AND
cut off welfare after a certain point, ensuring that
Americans who NEED jobs do the jobs "Americans won't do."

Unemployment alleviated.
Illegals gone.
Two birds with one stone.

Priorities!
 
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,720,839 times
Reputation: 4828
Again, I can't believe that anyone sees prioritizing and deporting people quicker, with the worse people being moved to the front of the line, as a bad thing. Obama has increased deportations of illegal immigrants - he's setting records for the number of illegals being deported. That's a good thing. It's also a good thing to instead of go in the order they're rounded up, to instead organize them and proceed against the bad ones first using the limited resources we have.

We have a limited number of resources - X amount of immigration judges to hear the cases, X amount of courtrooms, X amount of detention facilities, X amounts of diplomatic liaisons to oversee deportations, X amount of personnel and money to physically carry out deportations, etc. Lets say we round up 4 illegals - and in this order:


1) A British national who's legally gay married a man in Boston, yet who is living illegally in the US with his husband since DOMA denies spousal immigration visas to legally married gay couples.
2) A Mexican national who came to the US in 1970 and joined the Army and fought in Vietnam who never got his citizenship paperwork in, yet has lived in worked in the US for the last 40 years.
3) A Mexican national whose parents brought her to the US illegally at age 3 and is now starting college.
4) A Honduran national who stole the identity of a US citizen, is illegally collecting food stamps, and was picked up for misdemeanor domestic violence.


If we only have the resources to deport 1 of the 4 (in a timely manner), who should it be? Should it be the gay Brit because he was picked up first? I say no. Cut the criminal Honduran to the front of the line - and keep cutting people like him in front of the other 3 until there are none of his ilk left waiting in the system.

Keep up the good work president Obama!!!

Last edited by hammertime33; 08-19-2011 at 11:06 AM..
 
Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Pleasant Ridge, Cincinnati, OH
1,040 posts, read 1,124,416 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
If they're prioritizing they'll realize that our unemployment situation is dire.

In that case, they would fine or close down any businesses hiring illegals
AND
cut off welfare after a certain point, ensuring that
Americans who NEED jobs do the jobs "Americans won't do."

Unemployment alleviated.
Illegals gone.
Two birds with one stone.

Priorities!
Let me see if I understand... your solution to unemployment is putting people in cages?

Don't you think that more jobs might be created by the drive and imagination of new immigrants?
Do you really think that the country is better off with fewer people? That's an idea that's espoused by communists countries (like China). I believe that people are a country's greatest asset; their creativity and talent creates wealth and makes life better for the rest of us.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 AM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,053,156 times
Reputation: 4218
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
Let me see if I understand... your solution to unemployment is putting people in cages?

Don't you think that more jobs might be created by the drive and imagination of new immigrants?
Do you really think that the country is better off with fewer people? That's an idea that's espoused by communists countries (like China). I believe that people are a country's greatest asset; their creativity and talent creates wealth and makes life better for the rest of us.
lmao. Get a grip please!
 
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
 
4,406 posts, read 5,317,471 times
Reputation: 2890
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
Let me see if I understand... your solution to unemployment is putting people in cages?

Don't you think that more jobs might be created by the drive and imagination of new immigrants?
Do you really think that the country is better off with fewer people? That's an idea that's espoused by communists countries (like China). I believe that people are a country's greatest asset; their creativity and talent creates wealth and makes life better for the rest of us.
So if people are our greatest asset and the more the merrier, let's empty the prisons and put 3 million more people out there to use their drive and imagination. If you're going to give a free pass to people whose presence here is evidence of their having committed a crime, then what's the difference if we empty the prisons of criminals? Why not start shipping the starving masses of Africa over here so we could use their creativity and ideas for the common good? Let's be as dense as India. That would give us about 4 billion people. Imagine how great we'd be under those magnificent circumstances!

Why even have a border if simply having more people is an asset? If you break the law by entering our country, you should expect to be detained and shipped back where you came from. Or is that too reality more horrible than the one I paint above?
 
Old 08-19-2011, 11:33 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,827 posts, read 4,646,310 times
Reputation: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Again, I can't believe that anyone sees prioritizing and deporting people quicker, with the worse people being moved to the front of the line, as a bad thing. Obama has increased deportations of illegal immigrants - he's setting records for the number of illegals being deported. That's a good thing. It's also a good thing to instead of go in the order they're rounded up, to instead organize them and proceed against the bad ones first using the limited resources we have.

We have a limited number of resources - X amount of immigration judges to hear the cases, X amount of courtrooms, X amount of detention facilities, X amounts of diplomatic liaisons to oversee deportations, X amount of personnel and money to physically carry out deportations, etc. Lets say we round up 4 illegals - and in this order:


1) A British national who's legally gay married a man in Boston, yet who is living illegally in the US with his husband since DOMA denies spousal immigration visas to legally married gay couples.
2) A Mexican national who came to the US in 1970 and joined the Army and fought in Vietnam who never got his citizenship paperwork in, yet has lived in worked in the US for the last 40 years.
3) A Mexican national whose parents brought her to the US illegally at age 3 and is now starting college.
4) A Honduran national who stole the identity of a US citizen, is illegally collecting food stamps, and was picked up for misdemeanor domestic violence.


If we only have the resources to deport 1 of the 4 (in a timely manner), who should it be? Should it be the gay Brit because he was picked up first? I say no. Cut the criminal Honduran to the front of the line - and keep cutting people like him in front of the other 3 until there are none of his ilk left waiting in the system.

Keep up the good work president Obama!!!
Maybe you need to do a research and read about the 300.000 illegal aliens he plans on giving a work permit to. What a nice gesture while we have a 9.1% unemployment rate!
 
Old 08-19-2011, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Pleasant Ridge, Cincinnati, OH
1,040 posts, read 1,124,416 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
So if people are our greatest asset and the more the merrier, let's empty the prisons and put 3 million more people out there to use their drive and imagination. If you're going to give a free pass to people whose presence here is evidence of their having committed a crime, then what's the difference if we empty the prisons of criminals? Why not start shipping the starving masses of Africa over here so we could use their creativity and ideas for the common good? Let's be as dense as India. That would give us about 4 billion people. Imagine how great we'd be under those magnificent circumstances!

Why even have a border if simply having more people is an asset? If you break the law by entering our country, you should expect to be detained and shipped back where you came from. Or is that too reality more horrible than the one I paint above?
So, what is the right population density for the United States, then? I assume that you feel that the central planners are fit to determine this number? This central planning argument for limiting population in the United States is socialist BS. A country built on the ideals of individual liberty should reject the idea that there is some "right number" of individuals as determined by their government.

Since you mentioned it, yes, I have a problem with the thousands of non-violent "criminals" who are put in cages by government agents with guns in the United States. I do think that the country would be wealthier if the people who'd committed non-violent "crimes" were allowed to be productive members of society, rather than locked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top