Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:02 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
An aside being that the IIRIR, with its stricter penalties, was signed into law by then-President Bill Clinton...
Clinton signed several junk laws, DOMA and Don't Ask Don't Tell. Democrats hated NAFTA also a Republican piece of legislation. Because Clinton signed it, that's probably a good reason to find it suspect.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have no intentions of belaboring the issue. You made a statement, and I presented an example to refute it. If states can enact laws that give more rights than federal laws, could states also grant work authorization to illegal aliens, or legalize their status? I think not.
Immigration is a federal issue. That is why DOJ is suing Arizona. The states cannot preempt federal law and take away rights that are given in federal law.

You have written an interesting example in that many states are passing their own Dream Act which can be in contradiction to the 1996 federal immigration law. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I think the federal law will be found unconstitutional.

I found some good examples of states expanding rights from an unlikely source:
What can states do to expand criminal defendants' rights if the US Supreme Court will not protect such rights? - Yahoo! Answers

Quote:
States can and do expand rights more than the federal government. They can't DENY more rights. If the state requires that jails provide daily volleyball and hammocks to help criminal defendants to relax, the Court won't say that's unconstitutional. The state can't put people in stocks, though. A state can lower bail to $25 for all crimes if they want to. They can't, however, deny bail or set $1 million bail for jaywalking, or set the death penalty for cutting people off in traffic. But they CAN eliminate the death penalty entirely, even if the Court has ruled it is constitutional in certain instances. More rights are fine, fewer rights is forbidden.
Florida's Constitution has a Right to Privacy. The U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS) has read into the Constitution that people have a right to privacy, although not written, upon which they based Roe v. Wade, the Right of consenting adults to commit certain sex acts, and many other privacy rights decisions. That's why Roe v. Wade will never be overthrown because that would destroy dozens of other privacy right decisions.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Aw c'mon..........O's got a yard to get mowed and vegetables to be picked from the garden. Ya don't think he's gonna hire union labor for those jobs do ya?
Okay, now I get it...........it's the Union Worker's who won't take those jobs and they lump us all into Americans won't do the job!!

How clever!! Figuring out how the government creates jobs............ seems to be getting one sided.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Wow. The Right is now pissed off at Obama for organizing and streamlining the backlog of deportation cases so that more people - and first and foremost the worse people - will be deported quicker?

Deportations have increased under Obama compared to the previous administration.
Don't you even wonder why are they going after the farm worker who for the most part returns back to Mexico, how about focusing on the drug dealers and gang members. For the most part it's illegals that have had these kids and they are now citizens. Since, President Obama is working hard to get the Latino vote doubt much is really happening.

As far as I have seen it's just the administration telling us this, where's the proof?? I see Mexican babies all the time, how about you??

Old 09-09-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Pretty accurate statement. And he played footsies under the table with a young intern!
From what I heard it was a little more than footsies.......President of the Free World........mean while he's eating pizza and playing around on his wife, way to go!!

Last edited by wildflower82; 09-09-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Don't you even wonder why are they going after the farm worker who for the most part returns back to Mexico, how about focusing on the drug dealers and gang members. For the most part it's illegals that have had these kids and they are now citizens. Since, President Obama is working hard to get the Latino vote doubt much is really happening.

As far as I have seen it's just the administration telling us this, where's the proof?? I see Mexican babies all the time, how about you??
In Idaho you see Mexican babies all the time? I know some native born Mexicans who moved back to Mexico from Idaho but they are also American citizens. I guess you would think I'm an illegal Swedish immigrant.

What Mexican babies? If a child is born in the U.S. that child is a U.S. citizen. How do you know the parents are from Mexico? Do all dark skinned people look like Mexicans to you? Have you been to Mexico? Many Mexicans look like former presidente of Mexico Vicente Fox, tall, light eyed, light skinned.

Did you read the statics that the DOJ is deporting more criminals than at any other time and all deportations are higher than previous administration?

My ancestors were in the first group of "White" people to enter Texas with Stephen F. Austin when Texas was still Mexico. I guess my ancestry is Mexican and I must be part Mexican since any offspring born in Texas, Mexico would have been Mexican citizens. They were also ungrateful guests after being given thousands of acres of land by Mexico to migrate, turned on Mexico and fought to free Texas. I guess it's in the blood.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
That is true, Bush spied on the American people w/ illegal wiretaps and he's the darling of ignorant and moronic people. Reagan lied, dealt w/ terrorists and funneled arms & money to an illegal group, yet he's marveled and idolized by even people more stupid than Bush lovers.

Go figure...I know see the correlation. They're anti-American, freedom hating, ignoring rule of law communists. Damn right-wing extremists.
Lying, cheating, stealing, bankrupting the country, killing innocent people is O.K., compared to having sex. Anyone having sex is to a Conservative the most evil person on Earth.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
In Idaho you see Mexican babies all the time? I know some native born Mexicans who moved back to Mexico from Idaho but they are also American citizens. I guess you would think I'm an illegal Swedish immigrant.

What Mexican babies? If a child is born in the U.S. that child is a U.S. citizen. How do you know the parents are from Mexico? Do all dark skinned people look like Mexicans to you? Have you been to Mexico? Many Mexicans look like former presidente of Mexico Vicente Fox, tall, light eyed, light skinned.

Did you read the statics that the DOJ is deporting more criminals than at any other time and all deportations are higher than previous administration?

My ancestors were in the first group of "White" people to enter Texas with Stephen F. Austin when Texas was still Mexico. I guess my ancestry is Mexican and I must be part Mexican since any offspring born in Texas, Mexico would have been Mexican citizens. They were also ungrateful guests after being given thousands of acres of land by Mexico to migrate, turned on Mexico and fought to free Texas. I guess it's in the blood.
Sorry buddy, if you are standing in the grocery line and you can't speak ENGLISH I'll assume they are not Americans. Where I live it's pretty easy to tell the American Mexicans from the ones that just got here. Run a construction business it's not to hard to figure it out.

Stop baiting and trying to play the race card!!!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Sorry buddy, if you are standing in the grocery line and you can't speak ENGLISH I'll assume they are not Americans. Where I live it's pretty easy to tell the American Mexicans from the ones that just got here. Run a construction business it's not to hard to figure it out.

Stop baiting and trying to play the race card!!!!!
That's, "Sorry Ma'am", not Buddy.

The majority of immigrants entering the U.S. now are from Central America, not Mexico. Read up on the Mexican economy and its 4% unemployment rate. Mexicans are returning to Mexico in droves. There is so much construction here that they can't find enough people. Soon Americans will illegally be crossing the border to work in Mexico.

I know U.S. citizens, born and reared in the U.S. who do not speak English. There is a hotel in San Antonio owned and run by nuns and only one out of the ten speaks English.

I live in Mexico and don't speak Spanish. So what? Mexicans don't care. The only Mexican I've met who makes a big deal out of my lack of Spanish has a 6th grade education and was married at 13 to a 56 year old man. Funny how the least educated everywhere make a big deal out of issues like this.

Read your last post. You played the race card. "Mexican babies."

Old 09-09-2011, 08:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post

I believe your ancestors were given citizenship by the nation that really ruled over Texas when they were invited in which was Spain. It wasn't Mexico that invited in those people, it was Spain, the land grants and so on were issued by the government of Spain.

For someone from Texas you seem to have very little understanding of the events that led up to Texas Independence and it was not just the Texans who fought for independence, there were Tejanos fighting along side them, with them.

It was more about the direction Mexico's government took after independence from Spain and a lot of poor management. The federalists were moving into Texas for reasons of their own, it was also about the widening gap between the federalists and centralists forces in Mexico and it's northern territory.

It was less than 25 years of Mexican rule over Texas, that's nothing more than a blink of an eye when it comes to history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration