Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
  • I'm sure you read or watched the story yesterday or the day before about a man who witnessed a kidnapping and got in his truck and chased after the suspect. In the end he was able to save the girl. Today it turns out he is an illegal alien. His wife is here legally. He's been living here for the past four years.
  • I agree with the Obama Administration in reviewing each case. Criminals need to be deported and new illegals should also be deported. However, law abiding people who have been living and working here for awhile should be given a path to citizenship.
  • This issue deals 100% with real people, so using a giant axe isn't right and I don't see how any of you right wing Christians can look at yourself in the mirror and think God is happy with you if you think otherwise.
Rescuer of kidnapped girl comes forward as undocumented immigrant - CNN.com
They need to take that kidnapper and cut his cojones OFF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,123 times
In this story it says he has a 7 yo and 5 mo child with his wife.
Quote:
Diaz Chacon said (s)he was proud people considered him a hero, but that he never thought twice about taking the action. While he was chasing the van, he said, he thought of his own two girls, one 7 years old, the other 5 months, and how he would want someone to do the same for him.
This appears to mean that he was here atleast 3+ years legally prior to being here illegally for 4 years.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
They need to take that kidnapper and cut his cojones OFF!
True but very likely he's an illegal so we can't.

If the kidnapper is an illegal then the two cancel each other out and it's a wash.

And if the kidnapper is an anchor baby - does that mean all anchor babies should be deported? My guess is that the kidnapper is an anchor baby but his immigration status hasn't not yet been provided in the news.

Last edited by malamute; 08-21-2011 at 10:50 AM..

Old 08-21-2011, 10:38 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Well, you're partially right. Laws shouldn't have to be obeyed just because they're "laws." I mean, yeah, that's kind of the point. Laws can be good or bad, just or unjust.

A person crossing an imaginary line in the desert isn't harming you, unlike someone punching you in the face. Yet both are "illegal", much as it used to be illegal for certain people to sit at the front of the bus (because other people imagined they were somehow "harmed" by this).
So a nation shouldnt have the right to determine who they allow to enter? Where do you draw the line?
Do we not need to know who comes and goes? We already have a problem with drug smuggling because the border is less than secure. Imagine how much worse it would be with it wide open to any who want to cross.
Or do we regulate who crosses? But then we are back where we started from.
As sad as it might be that not all countries are equal in prosperity that hardly makes it our obligation to accept everyone who wants to come here for the better life.
The imaginary line you refer to is accepted by international law. Just as the imaginary line between 2 properties is recognized by law. If someone came into my yard pitched a tent and started living there this is acceptable because he didn't punch me in the face? What about my right to my property? It is recognized that nations have these same rights.
What makes it bad law to restrict who enters a country? As an immigrant its on you to prove that you are worthy, and do what is required to meet that country's demands. If you wont or can't then go somewhere else. It is completely unreasonable to expect a nation to cater to immigrants needs over the needs of the citizens.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 AM

Another question I have about this whole case -- what kind of parent sends a little 6 year old girl out alone to buy tortillas? The parents of the child should also be arrested for child neglect and endangerment.

Or are the parents going to be given a pass for their parental neglect?

The whole drama could have been prevented if the girl's parents were at all responsible and didn't send her out alone to do their errands for them.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:07 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Do we not need to know who comes and goes?
So what would you think about checkpoints at borders between states? City limits? Neighborhoods? After all, it's just the government looking out for you.

Quote:
We already have a problem with drug smuggling because the border is less than secure. Imagine how much worse it would be with it wide open to any who want to cross.
Well, that's a problem created by drug prohibition. Using this as a labor restriction rationale is just grasping at straws.

Quote:
As sad as it might be that not all countries are equal in prosperity that hardly makes it our obligation to accept everyone who wants to come here for the better life.
I don't really care if you "accept" them. If you want to sit in your house and pout about all the mexicans that's fine with me.

Quote:
What makes it bad law to restrict who enters a country? As an immigrant its on you to prove that you are worthy, and do what is required to meet that country's demands. If you wont or can't then go somewhere else. It is completely unreasonable to expect a nation to cater to immigrants needs over the needs of the citizens.
If they're so unworthy, why do people keep hiring them?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:08 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Another question I have about this whole case -- what kind of parent sends a little 6 year old girl out alone to buy tortillas? The parents of the child should also be arrested for child neglect and endangerment.

Or are the parents going to be given a pass for their parental neglect?

The whole drama could have been prevented if the girl's parents were at all responsible and didn't send her out alone to do their errands for them.
blame the victim. classy.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
blame the victim. classy.
Its a valid question. What kind of parents would send a 6 year old child to do the shopping?
I live in a very safe place very low crime and I still would not send a 6 year old child to do the shopping.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Besides, the little girl is the victim, not her negligent parents. If anything she's also a victim of parents that would send a little child out alone to do an errand they were too lazy to do themselves. No one who cares about his or her children would send a very young child out alone like that.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
So what would you think about checkpoints at borders between states? City limits? Neighborhoods? After all, it's just the government looking out for you.

Well, that's a problem created by drug prohibition. Using this as a labor restriction rationale is just grasping at straws.

I don't really care if you "accept" them. If you want to sit in your house and pout about all the mexicans that's fine with me.

If they're so unworthy, why do people keep hiring them?
1. you mentioned mexicans not me. I was refering to any and all immigrants.
2. Check points between states already happen on highways. They check trucks.
That said one cannot compare the relationship between PA and MD to that of say Pakistan and the USA. What is comparable is Canada and the USA.
Our standard of living is comparable and our cultures are simular enough that it is a non issue.
Drug smuggling. Its not the fault of the law its the fault of the criminals. Its that simple. Its sad that some people cant get through life unless they are stoned.
If chop shops are so undesirable why do people buy parts from them? Oh because its cheaper. What can I say some people have little or no morals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration