U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,016,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
You're assuming things here. He could have entered on a tourist visa, student visa, TN visa, or even a work visa (it doesn't say how he entered only that he has been in the US for 4 years illegally). It also says his wife is a US citizen. He may even have entered on a K Visa. All we know is he chose not to follow through the process (which means he was actually in the process) because he thinks it takes to much time and costs to much. He may even be an LPR and thinks that because he didn't get his citizenship that he is illegal. Rock is the one that believes people are actually stupid enough to believe one word can change peoples minds.

You're right, it does matter, and so far you don't appear to have done much research on this topic.

Armchair lawyering? Fallacy? Seems more like ignorance of the details that have been provided to you, and by a lack of quick research of Mr. Diaz Chacon's situation by you. It was Rhymtime that gave us the phrase "Reading is fundemental", look it up.
You might want to go back and look at the tense of your words - I responded to your post about how quickly you said he could ¨legalize¨ from being an illegal alien. Now what about your statement (an assumption) that he was or is in a legal status, and came out-of-status or doesn´t understand (along with his wife) the legal status he has? The comments you have had so far make make you look like a typically American, not one that has supposedly navigated the immigration system with a Foreign National spouse.

There are two valid ´K´ visas for your claim (the other two are for derivative minor children). A K-1 ¨Fiancé(e) visa is often the quickest way if the applicant is outside the United States, but must be before a marriage. Enter a marry within 90 days, the time and fee for the later Adjustment of Status is so integrated in the process I highly doubt the Chacon´s are talking about this method.

For a K-3 (spouse of a U.S. citizen) an I-130 for an Immigrant Visa (IV) already has to be filed (it is stop-gap, intended to let the applicant enter the United States while the immigrant petition is adjudicated), with the fee. One can renew and remain in K-3 status. I also highly doubt he went out-of-status from a K-3 visa.

He could be a visa overstay, but ultimately the process for the ¨time and money¨ I believe they are referring to would be for an I-601. It doesn´t take an immigration lawyer to navigate, but is very complex and I would recommend shopping around for the best one that could be found. The only way to naturalize is through Legal Permanent Resident status - And as we know, Legal Permanent Resident status does not expire, even if the naturalization attempt is unsuccessful.

The wording of the news article looks to be a mistake by the reporter:

¨Martha Diaz – who is a U.S. citizen – said that her husband had worked to get his citizenship in the past but stopped because the process took too much time and was too expensive.¨
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:03 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,577,733 times
He should not have saved her, so a nice, legal christian person could have the chance.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 790,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
2. Check points between states already happen on highways. They check trucks.
But we're talking about movement of individuals. Not of commercial products.

Quote:
That said one cannot compare the relationship between PA and MD to that of say Pakistan and the USA. What is comparable is Canada and the USA.
Of course it's comparable. Are there differences? Sure. But the fact that there are some differences doesn't mean things can't be compared.

Quote:
Our standard of living is comparable and our cultures are simular enough that it is a non issue.
Oh, so if people look like you and talk like you, THEN they can be free, but otherwise, nah, can't have those different people just being all free and stuff.

Quote:
Drug smuggling. Its not the fault of the law its the fault of the criminals. Its that simple. Its sad that some people cant get through life unless they are stoned.
You're missing the point. Black markets are a 100% predictable consequence of prohibition. Not that alone isn't enough to say that prohibition is unjust, but when we're talking about substances for personal consumption, then yeah, criminalizing a whole class of victimless behavior and CREATING a whole underground industry along with putting a huge number of people into prison over it, well, yeah, this is unjust. And complaining about the consequences is disingenuous. If you don't like the results of the drug war, then you should be in favor of ending the drug war, pure and simple.

Quote:
If chop shops are so undesirable why do people buy parts from them? Oh because its cheaper. What can I say some people have little or no morals.
So hiring immigrants is like buying stolen goods? Who did they steal the labor from?

A better comparison would be buying bootlegged merchandise when the government outlaws competition and the legal monopoly drives prices up.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:54 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,714,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You might want to go back and look at the tense of your words - I responded to your post about how quickly you said he could ¨legalize¨ from being an illegal alien. Now what about your statement (an assumption) that he was or is in a legal status, and came out-of-status or doesn´t understand (along with his wife) the legal status he has? The comments you have had so far make make you look like a typically American, not one that has supposedly navigated the immigration system with a Foreign National spouse.

There are two valid ´K´ visas for your claim (the other two are for derivative minor children).

I also highly doubt he went out-of-status from a K-3 visa.

He could be a visa overstay, but ultimately the process for the ¨time and money¨ I believe they are referring to would be for an I-601. It doesn´t take an immigration lawyer to navigate, but is very complex and I would recommend shopping around for the best one that could be found. The only way to naturalize is through Legal Permanent Resident status - And as we know, Legal Permanent Resident status does not expire, even if the naturalization attempt is unsuccessful.
You might want to go back and re-read my initial comment: Funny, Mr Diaz was going through the process, he chose to quit it because, according to him, the process took too much time and was too expensive.
Read more: Hero who saved 6-year-old girl, Antonio Diaz Chacon, says he's an illegal immigrant
This is what happens when you enter into someones conversation without fully reading/understanding what is/has been said.

You seem to be coming form the standpoint that he is an EWI. You also seem to only be using the OP's link, I provided other links about Mr. Chacon as well, maybe you should try reading them, just so you can't claim that you can't distinguish between my words and those of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum
The comments you have had so far make make you look like a typically American, not one that has supposedly navigated the immigration system with a Foreign National spouse.
So because I am not specific as to which visa and/or I form (since it's all assumed any way as we don't really know how he entered, which you seem to have failed to recognize that I also pointed out it could have been from a work visa, a student visa, or even a TN visa), you feel the need to point out specific K visa types. (maybe I should point out the visas used to possibly enter could be an H2A, H2B, or maybe even a H1B or even a border crossing card, h3ll maybe he even came in under his parent on a K2 or a K4 but aged out or failed to re-new or came in on a V visa, but specifics really aren't important, you're attempting to do nothing more than feel as though you are the authority for visa types. Yea, have fun with that!) {this is where you come in and get all, but this visa this and that visa that}

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum
The wording of the news article looks to be a mistake by the reporter:

¨Martha Diaz – who is a U.S. citizen – said that her husband had worked to get his citizenship in the past but stopped because the process took too much time and was too expensive.¨
Funny, every article out there states the same thing, some add a little more info, like they have 2 children, a 7YO and a 5MO, that he has only been here illegally for 4 years. I guess every reporter has made the same mistake, go figure.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 08-21-2011 at 09:12 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,500,354 times
Hey, arrest him, and deport him. He decided to tell the world his status...NOW go get him!!!! Send him back...

He did the right thing, saved a child. Okay...he is also a law breaker, and here illegally....send him back.

Bunch of crap...sick of this "cafeteria" style of laws...we decide which laws to enforce, and which ones not too...can I go to light up a doobie at the park tomorrow, because I feel like smoking marijuana in public?....why should I get into trouble? After all, there are so MANY laws that we don't enforce in this country, why pick on me?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
...You seem to be coming form the standpoint that he is an EWI. You also seem to only be using the OP's link, I provided other links about Mr. Chacon as well, maybe you should try reading them, just so you can't claim that you can't distinguish between my words and those of others...
I said that it is possible for him to also be a visa overstay. Do you also understand I am reading between the lines? There is a mistake in the account because only a Legal Permanent Resident can attempt to naturalize.

Quote:
...So because I am not specific as to which visa and/or I form (since it's all assumed any way as we don't really know how he entered, which you seem to have failed to recognize that I also pointed out it could have been from a work visa, a student visa, or even a TN visa), you feel the need to point out specific K visa types. (maybe I should point out the visas used to possibly enter could be an H2A, H2B, or maybe even a H1B or even a border crossing card, h3ll maybe he even came in under his parent on a K2 or a K4 but aged out or failed to re-new or came in on a V visa, but specifics really aren't important, you're attempting to do nothing more than feel as though you are the authority for visa types. Yea, have fun with that!) {this is where you come in and get all, but this visa this and that visa that}
No, this is where I let your words stand, so people can see them as they are...

Quote:
...Funny, every article out there states the same thing, some add a little more info, like they have 2 children, a 7YO and a 5MO, that he has only been here illegally for 4 years. I guess every reporter has made the same mistake, go figure.
The news, often sourced from a single interview, couldn´t be wrong? Reporters are as unfamiliar with immigration as the public whom reads those stories. A whole other aspect is that he may have been shammed about the ability to legalize.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 AM
Yac

5,876 posts, read 6,299,846 times
Everybody please calm down. Also, let's not bring God, or what he thinks, into this, ok ?
Yac.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,900,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
But we're talking about movement of individuals. Not of commercial products.

Of course it's comparable. Are there differences? Sure. But the fact that there are some differences doesn't mean things can't be compared.

Oh, so if people look like you and talk like you, THEN they can be free, but otherwise, nah, can't have those different people just being all free and stuff.

You're missing the point. Black markets are a 100% predictable consequence of prohibition. Not that alone isn't enough to say that prohibition is unjust, but when we're talking about substances for personal consumption, then yeah, criminalizing a whole class of victimless behavior and CREATING a whole underground industry along with putting a huge number of people into prison over it, well, yeah, this is unjust. And complaining about the consequences is disingenuous. If you don't like the results of the drug war, then you should be in favor of ending the drug war, pure and simple.

So hiring immigrants is like buying stolen goods? Who did they steal the labor from?

A better comparison would be buying bootlegged merchandise when the government outlaws competition and the legal monopoly drives prices up.
Not comparable at all. Have you ever been to pakistan? I have. Not comparable at all.
Individuals. Well once again it would seem that the world as a whole agrees that individual nations should have the right to determine who enters and who does not . The whole world is wrong and you are right?
Victimless behaviors? Driving without first passing a test and demonstrating ability? Accidents involving unlicensed uninsured illegals? No Victim? I beg to differ. Yes some legals do it also that doesnt make it ok for illegals nor does it mean that there are no victims. ID theft. Yes sometimes the ID is of a dead person. Im sure the dead persons families dont feel like victims, but what of the live people who are forced to deal with the aftermath of stolen credit, taxes not reported etc. They are victims. What of the the criminals who enter illegally and go on to commit crimes here? No victims? I beg to differ.
Hiring illegals is as comparable to buying stolen goods as is comparing the relationship of one nation to another to comparing state to state relationships.
By the way the theft is of stealing social services at the very least. When we dont have the money to cover our own citizens how do we justify paying out for illegals as well?

Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,239,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Everybody please calm down. Also, let's not bring God, or what he thinks, into this, ok ?
Yac.
The OP startd with God; please lock this thread, its trouble, big trouble. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
The OP startd with God; please lock this thread, its trouble, big trouble. Thanks.
Oh God, Why? How many requests on the forum have been able to close down threads in the past, or caused a moderator to take a closer look? If a moderator has already reviewed the thread up to that point, isn't the thread-closure request then "off-topic"? Just wondering.

Now that we've made it to this point of the discussion, how should Antonio Diaz Chacon be handled? He has a U.S. citizen spouse that he has lived with in Albuquerque for four years. They have been married for two years, with two daughters, a 7 year-old and 5 month-old, in the household.

He has a valid New Mexico driver's license, but appears to be working without authorization. The news says he has stated that he is an illegal alien, but that he has also said he was in some unknown process for "citizenship" previously. Only a Legal Permanent Resident can naturalize, and the LPR status does not expire, so the process he is referring to is unknown.

Should he be allowed to process through an I-601, to take a chance at "legalizing" his immigration status to a Legal Permanent Resident? He would have an opportunity to become a U.S. citizen after three years as an LPR, as long as he stays married to Martha. During that time he would also need to get a working grasp of English before naturalizing (his wife translated for him in the news interviews).

It would be interesting to compare the forum responses to polls that have run on news sites elsewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or