Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
You realize I posted a link to a page with real actual data and an explanation of the methodology, right? If you have an issue with that link I'm listening.
And, many say Gallup is biased. So what? I take ALL poll results with a grain of salt. Again, if the results support your position, their veracity is never questioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Aren't you the same one complaining about another poll being false(in a different thread) because the results doesn't match up to your views? Talk about hypocrisy!!
You have been on this forum long enough to know my opinion regarding polls. In fact, like clockwork, whenever I happen to agree with a poll, you pop-in here expressly to remind me of my stance on polls. Unlike me, you only question poll results when you disagree with the results. No hypocrisy; just stating a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,018,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
And, many say Gallup is biased. So what? I take ALL poll results with a grain of salt. Again, if the results support your position, their veracity is never questioned.

You have been on this forum long enough to know my opinion regarding polls. In fact, like clockwork, whenever I happen to agree with a poll, you pop-in here expressly to remind me of my stance on polls. Unlike me, you only question poll results when you disagree with the results. No hypocrisy; just stating a fact.
You're ignoring one very salient fact. When you disagree with a poll, it's because your gut instinct or common sense tells you it's wrong.

When I dismiss a poll, I provide evidence that the pollster in question is in fact biased.

These are not comparable criteria for dismissing a poll result.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,622 times
Default Most Voters Oppose Public Schooling, Tuition Breaks, Driver’s Licenses For Illegal Immigrants

Quote:
You're ignoring one very salient fact. When you disagree with a poll, it's because your gut instinct or common sense tells you it's wrong.

When I dismiss a poll, I provide evidence that the pollster in question is in fact biased.

Polls are inherently inaccurate. If they were accurate, Bush II would never have won either presidential election. Anytime you take 1000 people and extrapolate the answers to represent 300 million people, that is absurd.

Plus, questions are often formed to guide someone to a particular response. You are a whiz at that, you only answer the part of a question you think can win. Sometimes (many times) ignoring the main point of the other person.

The main topic of the thread holds true, because whenever a vote is taken, the people make these choices.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Polls are inherently inaccurate. If they were accurate, Bush II would never have won either presidential election. Anytime you take 1000 people and extrapolate the answers to represent 300 million people, that is absurd.
Of course they are inaccurate. Good polls always prominently display their margin of error. The thought that polls are "absurd", however, is itself absurd. They are, when properly conducted, accurate to within a quantifiable margin. There is a science to it, even if you don't understand it.

Quote:
Plus, questions are often formed to guide someone to a particular response.
Well, yeah. I mean, if you want to take a particular poll to task because the questions are worded poorly, go right ahead. But to just blanket condemn polls in general because of a potential for abuse is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:

I repeat: I take ALL polls with a grain of salt, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the results. Why is this so hard for you to grasp?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Of course they are inaccurate. Good polls always prominently display their margin of error. The thought that polls are "absurd", however, is itself absurd. They are, when properly conducted, accurate to within a quantifiable margin. There is a science to it, even if you don't understand it.

Well, yeah. I mean, if you want to take a particular poll to task because the questions are worded poorly, go right ahead. But to just blanket condemn polls in general because of a potential for abuse is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Bottom line: You disagree with this poll, so you agree with the report that it is biased. Had you agreed, you would not have bothered to even research the methodology.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:17 AM

[x] projection in this thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:21 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,976 times
Quote:

Please provide proof this poll is inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration