Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,161,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
malamute;20757243]I think that the answer may be either because of racial division - the whole white vs black issue that goes way back in American history.
Yeah I believe so too. The lack of integration in America history did a lot of damage to there being a cross American identity. In Latin America, white people were encourage to mixed and mingle with blacks and the native population, although there was an agenda to eliminate black and native people. The high level of mixing resulted in countries that have no clear racial majority. With Mexico being majority mestizo/mixed, I understand why people see them as one race or an ethnicity.

Also America's mass immigration, worldwide range of sur-names ,and the lack of an official language have something to do with our nationality conflict too. Most people in Mexico have Spanish/Portuguese last names right? In Haiti, its french/creole right? In Jamaica, most have Anglo Saxon names right? With America, you see a huge range of Anglo Saxon, Polish, German, African, French, Spanish, and so on and son. We haven't quite made English the official language yet and then there is our huge influx of immigrants coming here. America just hasn't establish a solid national identity, and I believe we weren't giving the time to either. It goes back to the popular opinion that America doesn't have a culture. Mexico and definitely not Jamaica(too small) don't recieve the rate of immigrants as America do. I believe most people in Mexico trace their roots back to colonialism.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-05-2011 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Yeah I believe so too. The lack of integration in America history did a lot of damage to there being a cross American identity. In Latin America, white people were encourage to mixed and mingle with blacks and the native population, although there was an agenda to eliminate black and native people. The high level of mixing resulted in countries that have no clear racial majority. With Mexico being majority mestizo/mixed, I understand why people see them as one race or an ethnicity.

Also America's mass immigration, worldwide range of sur-names ,and the lack of an official language have something to do with our nationality conflict too. Most people in Mexico have Spanish/Portuguese last names right? In Haiti, its french/creole right? In Jamaica, most have Anglo Saxon names right? With America, you see a huge range of Anglo Saxon, Polish, German, African, French, Spanish, and so on and son. We haven't quite made English the official language yet and then there is our huge influx of immigrants coming here. America just hasn't establish a solid national identity, and I believe we weren't giving the time to either. It goes back to the popular opinion that America doesn't have a culture. Mexico and definitely not Jamaica(too small) don't recieve the rate of immigrants as America do. I believe most people in Mexico trace their roots back to colonialism.
Yet we do have a language and a culture. We have our common bonds but some of it may be manifesting more when attacked from the outside.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,282,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWV View Post
You can't have pride in both????? Is that hard??
Of course you can but we are talking about divided loyalties here, not pride. If one chooses their ethnic group from one's ancestor's nation over this country's laws and their fellow citizens of this country then that is a whole different ball of wax.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post

Good post. In 1965 when we started to allow in millions of immigrants from all over the world unlike in the past, it became a multi-cultural experiment that went array. Then came the massive invasion from south of our border. We didn't insist on immigrants assimilating like we did prior to 1965 because we became too PC. Even though we have always had a basic identity one of which includes the English language it started to be diluted due to all of the above so we have nearly become a nation with no identity of its own. Just a nation of squabbling nationalities divided by ethnic groups. Truly sad.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,161,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Good post. In 1965 when we started to allow in millions of immigrants from all over the world unlike in the past, it became a multi-cultural experiment that went array. Then came the massive invasion from south of our border. We didn't insist on immigrants assimilating like we did prior to 1965 because we became too PC. Even though we have always had a basic identity one of which includes the English language it started to be diluted due to all of the above so we have nearly become a nation with no identity of its own. Just a nation of squabbling nationalities divided by ethnic groups. Truly sad.
There were millions(maybe hundred of thousands) of immigrants flooding here prior to 1965. We can't forget the huge European immigration in the late 19th century to mid 20th century, which had a racist agenda in itself. If America immigration law wasn't so exclusive, then there wouldn't be a need for 1965. There were many non European/white immigrants trying to get here prior to 1965 but they were largely rejected because they didn't pass the origin test. I think to a degree, the exclusiveness just cause a bigger flood post 1965. Notice there aren't that many European immigrants coming here anymore? They had their moment and you could say most of Europe is wealthy enough to to take care of its people.

The biggest way America can fix its identity crisis is if the government put immigration to a halt for a while and Americanized the immigrants already here. There also needs to be more integration but that is somehing we as a people have to decide. No amount of government intervening can change the mentality of human beings. The other thing the government can do is finally make English the one and only official language(save for Hawaii and maybe one of two other states) and put it into effect. English is merely the de facto since the majority of the country speaks English.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:15 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,450,866 times
I saw one of these driving down the road today and thought I would share it...SHAME ON THOSE ITALIANS!

Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Group Special Plates

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...141645#italian

Personally I would like a Hispanic American plate..but they don't have one.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I saw one of these driving down the road today and thought I would share it...SHAME ON THOSE ITALIANS!

Personally I would like a Hispanic American plate..but they don't have one.
Personally, I would like all Americans to not hypenate themselves. Isn't being an American enough?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:21 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,174,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Personally, I would like all Americans to not hypenate themselves. Isn't being an American enough?
I totally agree!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,644,643 times
Usually a hyphenated American is an legal immigrant not native to this country....to separate or distinguish from unhyphenated Americans.

unhyphenated Americans ....Americans who's native flag is American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration