Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,282,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Where does he place his nationalism? He leads into his editorial thusly:

"Frequent readers of this column will remember occasions when I've referred to myself in ethnically derogatory terms for humorous effect, such as calling myself a "big fat Mexican." But I was wrong."

He has falsely identified his nationality in the past, even to define that it is for a purpose of being derogatory towards his own ethnic background. So of course he is putting his ethnic heritage lower than his nationalism. He makes fun, wrong impersonating himself as a "foreigner" in a derogatory manner, of his presence in the United States.

That is being "a true patriot"?...
His pride of being an American and willingness to to seek solutions to our problems rather than deserting our country, doesn't make him a true patriot? His concern about the costs to his fellow Americans from illegal immigration, doesn't make him a true patriot? His calling Americans "his" people rather than just his ethnic group, doesn't make him a true patriot?

1. "I am a proud Texan and a proud American. If there was something wrong with my country or my state, I would stay and try to change it".

2. "We pay for their medical care, when we can't even afford care for our own people. We pay for their education, to the point where illegal immigrants are giving a leg up while other legal resdients pay the price".

3. "When I think of the term “my people,” I'm not thinking of just Hispanics, and I'm certainly not thinking of individuals who do not have respect for my country or its laws. When I think of “my people,” I think of a group who respect the law, who work hard to make a place for themselves in this society, and most of all, a people who are willing to lead by example".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 02:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,151,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Great post.

I never hyphenated my nationality. I believe hyphenation balkanizes everyone.
It does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I am sure some people would refer to him as a "coconut" or a "vendido". I however, would call him a true patriot.
As would I.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,833,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
His pride of being an American and willingness to to seek solutions to our problems rather than deserting our country, doesn't make him a true patriot? His concern about the costs to his fellow Americans from illegal immigration, doesn't make him a true patriot? His calling Americans "his" people rather than just his ethnic group, doesn't make him a true patriot?...
He also said he had pride in "his heritage", but shows that he has referred to it in a (self-defined) derogatory manner before. As well as calling Americans "his people", he has also called himself "a big, fat Mexican". Which is it? Based on the entire editorial I really don't know if he is going to say something different in another week, and excuse these statements by "It was wrong.".

Isn't he running away from what he has said before?...

Saying that he would stay to fight if the same thing happened here, but acknowledging that he knows why they are fleeing their country?...

He shows doubt in his own convictions, much less for anyone else to make the observation...

Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,577,976 times
Quote:
He also said he had pride in "his heritage", but shows that he has referred to it in a (self-defined) derogatory manner before. As well as calling Americans "his people", he has also called himself "a big, fat Mexican". Which is it? Based on the entire editorial I really don't know if he is going to say something different in another week, and excuse these statements by "It was wrong.".

Saying that he would stay to fight if the same thing happened here, but acknowledging that he knows why they are fleeing their country?...

He shows doubt in his own convictions, much less for anyone else to make the observation...
I can understand how you might find this a difficult concept. When a person maintains an open mind, new information will often cause a reassessment of beliefs and values leading to a change in thought process. We off-offhandedly refer to as "changing one's mind". It is not a bad thing. It displays an ability to absorb new information and rectify erroneous beliefs and to adapt to new situations. Only a closed minded person who is unwilling to listen to other opinions or refuses to consider the possibility of being wrong will be unable to change their mind and start exhibiting new behaviors.

In this case the author has identified a shortcoming in his prior values and recognizes his actions as being unworthy of his heritage and pride in culture while still accepting his worth as an individual in a larger collective of cultures. Admirable qualities that aspire to patriotic when viewed with the perspective of a national society.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Try comprehending his final analysis and his views on the situtation rather than picking out a few comments where he shows some understanding and speaks of pride in his heritage while still considering himself an American first. He has also acknowledged the nagative impact of illegal immmigration to his fellow citizens and and therefore opposes it. You are trying to make this man fit the typical Hispanic illegal alien sympathizer when clearly he is not. He is a true patriot in my eyes for not falling into the typical raza mold of ethnicity first, American second.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I can understand how you might find this a difficult concept. When a person maintains an open mind, new information will often cause a reassessment of beliefs and values leading to a change in thought process. We off-offhandedly refer to as "changing one's mind". It is not a bad thing. It displays an ability to absorb new information and rectify erroneous beliefs and to adapt to new situations. Only a closed minded person who is unwilling to listen to other opinions or refuses to consider the possibility of being wrong will be unable to change their mind and start exhibiting new behaviors.

In this case the author has identified a shortcoming in his prior values and recognizes his actions as being unworthy of his heritage and pride in culture while still accepting his worth as an individual in a larger collective of cultures. Admirable qualities that aspire to patriotic when viewed with the perspective of a national society.
Uh, if you are claiming that this man doesn't consider himself an American first and a Hispanic second out of some new revelation from changed values about illegal immigration then perhaps you should re-read thoroughly what he was actually saying.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,141,773 times
Since it seems everyone on Earth are all descended from Africa aren't we all African-Americans?

God this labeling makes me want to puke.....

Old 08-25-2011, 10:17 PM

335 posts, read 328,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
but building a big wall to keep THOSE people OVER THERE, that doesn't balkanize people?
Of course not.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,165,775 times
Quote:
No diversity?...
How does restricting illegal immigration prevent diversity? We still allow more than all nations combined. In my wifes group to be naturalized. 72 people from 34 nations. That is pretty diverse. Hers was the fourth group that day with 1 more to go.
Securing the border has nothing to do with limiting diversity and everything to do with managing who we allow to enter.
The man said it well. They want what we have and are willing to break our laws to get it... That sums it up quite well. This is pretty much the standard criminal mentality.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,515,932 times
No hyphen for me either. I do not give my allegience to any foreign nation, the USA is my one and only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration